Individual mandate delayed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual mandate delayed

The Obama administration has decided to give extra time to Americans who say that they are unable to enroll in health-care plans through the federal insurance marketplace by the March 31 deadline.

Federal officials confirmed Tuesday evening that all consumers who have begun to apply for coverage on HealthCare.gov, but who do not finish by Monday, will have until about mid-April to ask for an extension.

Under the new rules, people will be able to qualify for an extension by checking a blue box on HealthCare.gov to indicate that they tried to enroll before the deadline. This method will rely on an honor system; the government will not try to determine whether the person is telling the truth.

The rules, which will apply to the federal exchanges operating in three dozen states, will essentially create a large loophole even as White House officials have repeatedly said that the March 31 deadline was firm. The extra time will not technically alter the deadline but will create a broad new category of people eligible for what’s known as a special enrollment period.

So, Obama blinks.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

So, every business in America has had to assume that the ACA will be "real" within 12 - 18 months and we've overhauled our entire compensation package to reflect that and then we found it was "delayed' and now this is "delayed" and maybe it will be more delayed later if stuff doesn't add up.

How the Hell can we keep planning for this if it's constantly reformatted?
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
      So, every business in America has had to assume that the ACA will be "real" within 12 - 18 months and we've overhauled our entire compensation package to reflect that and then we found it was "delayed' and now this is "delayed" and maybe it will be more delayed later if stuff doesn't add up.

How the Hell can we keep planning for this if it's constantly reformatted?
      This is the individual mandate, not the corporate mandate.

And to answer your question: it was always designed to fail such that "single payer" (meaning socialized medicine) could come along and "save the day."
      It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
      In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
      Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
      Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
        This is the individual mandate, not the corporate mandate.

And to answer your question: it was always designed to fail such that "single payer" (meaning socialized medicine) could come along and "save the day."
        I know it's the single mandate but that affects or potentially affects some of our retirees (not me). The point is that if they continually change the game, they can continually screw with any part of it. What happens in July? Will they then decide to extended, revert, or reevaluate the small business component? The big business component? How can we effectively plan? Right now we are using the most ultra conservative approach but it's the most expensive approach.

I believe you are correct: this thing was designed to fail. Medicaid for all.

I don't know of one person who is on Medicaid and thinks it is superior to their old insurance when they were working. Not one.
        "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

The juveniles push back and it almost looks like another case of, "It's Bush's fault".
          May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
          Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
          And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
          may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

For a bunch of people who hate Bush and the GOP so much they sure are adopting their policies.

Now we just need a whistleblower for the waterboarding that is still happening.
            "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
            -John Locke

"It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
            -Newman

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎