[VA state senator Craigh] Deeds critically wounded; son dead from gunshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [VA state senator Craigh] Deeds critically wounded; son dead from gunshot

Sen. Creigh Deeds, D-Bath, is in critical condition after being stabbed in his home and his son Gus is dead from a gunshot wound, law enforcement sources told the Richmond Times-Dispatch this morning.

Deeds is being treated at the University of Virginia Medical Center.

Authorities said they are trying to determine the sequence of events at the Deeds home in Bath County early today.

In a news release, Virginia State Police said they responded to Deeds' home in Millboro at 7:25 a.m., and that the lawmaker was flown from to the U.Va. medical center.

"Virginia State Police are on the scene of an assault of a state legislator that took place Tuesday morning," the news release said. "Senator Creigh Deeds has been transported to U.Va. Hospital in Charlottesville for treatment of serious injuries sustained in the assault at his residence."

Regarding Deeds' son, state police would only say that "a second individual at the residence is deceased."

Deeds, 55, has served in the state Senate since 2001, representing Bath County. He lost two statewide contests to Republican Bob McDonnell, for attorney general in 2005 and for governor in 2009.

“In this tough and sad time, our thoughts and prayers are with the Deeds family," McDonnell said in a statement. "The news from this morning is utterly heartbreaking.
    How very awful!
    Bask in the warmth of the Deep South
    No one will be denied:
    Big law suits and bathroom toots;
    We're all getting Dixie-fried.
    But somewhere Hank and Lefty
    Are rollin' in their graves
    While kudzu vines grow over signs that read "Jesus Saves."

Really awful. Sounds like the son either had mental health issues/ substance abuse issues, or both. What a terrible tragedy for the family.
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Knife stabbing is usually a very personal type of assault. So sad for the senator and especially the hopelessness of someone so young as his son..such a tragedy.
      May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
      Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
      And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
      may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

How terrible. My prayers for Senator Deeds' quick recovery, and for peace and understanding for the family.
        “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
        I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
        I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
        I kill with my heart.”

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

Comment

He's in fair condition now so that's a good sign.

Apparently there were no psychiatric beds available after the son's evaluation on Monday.
          "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

Working...
          X