X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMNESTY SUPPORTERS PLOT REVENGE AFTER BOEHNER SAYS NO TO CONFERENCE

AMNESTY SUPPORTERS PLOT REVENGE AFTER BOEHNER SAYS NO TO CONFERENCE

by MATTHEW BOYLE 29 Nov 2013 1793 POST A COMMENT

After House Speaker John Boehner promised the American people there would be no conference committee on the Senate “Gang of Eight” immigration bill, The Atlantic’s Molly Ball is out with a new report detailing how amnesty supporters are cooking up a scheme for revenge.

“For the broad, well-organized coalition of immigration-reform activists, [Boehner's] statement was a stunning blow,” Ball wrote. “If Boehner keeps that pledge, he will have rendered moot the months of wheeling and dealing it took to get a massive, bipartisan bill through the Senate in June, forcing the upper chamber to start from scratch even if the House manages to get its act together and pass its own bill or group of bills—a prospect that appears increasingly unlikely.”

Ball noted that just hours before Boehner made the promise he would not resurrect the Gang of Eight bill via conference, he had been ambushed by immigration activists pushing him to grant amnesty. In that exchange, Ball said Boehner “made encouraging noises” but later in the day “pour[ed] cold water on immigration's legislative prospects.” She wrote this “neatly summarized the plight of the reformers, many of whom are coming to grips with the possibility that their efforts, despite politicians' apparent receptiveness, have come to naught.”

“The reformers' official line remains one of optimism that the House will act, perhaps even before the end of 2013,” Ball wrote. “But many activists have already begun to take a more aggressive tack, arguing that lobbying is over—it’s time for revenge.”

Ball quotes two different pro-amnesty activists as part of the plan pushing for revenge: Frank Sharry of America’s Voice and Joshua Culling of Americans for Tax Reform (ATR), Grover Norquist’s outfit.

“We can’t force them to get to yes, but we can make them pay a price for getting to no,” Sharry told Ball. “If this Congress isn’t going to pass immigration reform, let’s elect a Congress that will.”
    I just read a news story that claimed that amnesty was required because Baby Boomers were retiring but the Millennial generation is far larger than the Baby Boomers were. I guess I don't understand the math here.

Breitbart
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I just read a news story that claimed that amnesty was required because Baby Boomers were retiring but the Millennial generation is far larger than the Baby Boomers were. I guess I don't understand the math here.

Breitbart
    That's easy: the same fucking liars telling the same fucking lies.

My favorite is that we "need the immigrants to pay taxes". Really? Let's do the math on that one.

Juan and Maria move here from mexico.
    Juan and Maria are very nice criminals, er people, and both have jobs in restaurants making $10 per hour (use construction and $15 per hour if you like, it matters not).
    Maria has two kids in a public hospital. $12, 000
    Two kids enter public preschool age 3-5 , 4 x $6k = $24,000
    Two kids go to public school for 12 years , 2 x 12 x $15K = $360,000
    -----------------------------------
    $396,000

So Juan and Maria pay almost no taxes other than sales tax for 14 years while billing the state for $396K.

Juan and Maria will NEVER pay enough in taxes to even cover their cost to the treasury much less to bolster Social Security.
    The year's at the spring
    And day's at the morn;
    Morning's at seven;
    The hill-side's dew-pearled;
    The lark's on the wing;
    The snail's on the thorn:
    God's in his heaven—
    All's right with the world!

Comment

“We can’t force them to get to yes, but we can make them pay a price for getting to no,” Sharry told Ball. “If this Congress isn’t going to pass immigration reform, let’s elect a Congress that will.”

The first one can be considered a threat, but it's VERY vague. The second one isn't a threat at all. That's the writer being a drama queen. Boehner is a lot of things, but a potential victim in life is probably not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Novaheart View Post

My favorite is that we "need the immigrants to pay taxes". Really? Let's do the math on that one.

Juan and Maria are very nice criminals, er people, and both have jobs in restaurants making $10 per hour (use construction and $15 per hour if you like, it matters not).
        $396,000

So Juan and Maria pay almost no taxes other than sales tax for 14 years while billing the state for $396K.

Juan and Maria will NEVER pay enough in taxes to even cover their cost to the treasury much less to bolster Social Security.
        Their children will get jobs.

But this isn't just about money. These are human beings. Most of them came here either because they're at a serious economic disadvantage in their own country or they didn't feel safe in their own. Everybody knows that the chances of of our government just granting citizenship is low. It's very hard to even be considered for the chance at citizenship. There are people who are here legally for years and can't be made citizens. There are people who wait years to come in here. Those who aren't safe don't have that option.

There are people who have been here their entire life and yet the government is trying to force them to back "home" because they technically were not born here. There are families being torn apart because one member wasn't born here. I think that the idea that we can make them all disappear after years of not securing the border is a make believe fantasy. Seriously.

I don't support all parts of the Amnesty bill, but I do support it. I applaud Republicans and Democrats willing to work together for it. I condemn Boehner once again trying to divide and conquer while not consider who his policies hurt. It's like the shut down. He just didn't care who it hurt so long as he could have his way (getting paid while not running the government or doing his job). He probably has the same smug look as he did during the shut down as well. He just has a total smugness to him that I can't stand.

Disclaimer: I am not endorsing threats against this man. Besides the fact that threats are wrong, I can't stand the idea of this man being turned into a martyr.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanie View Post

But this isn't just about money. These are human beings. Most of them came here either because they're at a serious economic disadvantage in their own country or they didn't feel safe in their own. Everybody knows that the chances of of our government just granting citizenship is low. It's very hard to even be considered for the chance at citizenship. There are people who are here legally for years and can't be made citizens. There are people who wait years to come in here. Those who aren't safe don't have that option.

There are people who have been here their entire life and yet the government is trying to force them to back "home" because they technically were not born here. There are families being torn apart because one member wasn't born here. I think that the idea that we can make them all disappear after years of not securing the border is a make believe fantasy. Seriously.

I don't support all parts of the Amnesty bill, but I do support it. I applaud Republicans and Democrats willing to work together for it. I condemn Boehner once again trying to divide and conquer while not consider who his policies hurt. It's like the shut down. He just didn't care who it hurt so long as he could have his way (getting paid while not running the government or doing his job). He probably has the same smug look as he did during the shut down as well. He just has a total smugness to him that I can't stand.

Disclaimer: I am not endorsing threats against this man. Besides the fact that threats are wrong, I can't stand the idea of this man being turned into a martyr.
          That's your opinion as a liberal. The same could be said by the other side about Obama.
          May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
          Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
          And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
          may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. Lots of generational welfare there.

But this isn't just about money. These are human beings.
            As opposed to those of us who are citizens....

Most of them came here either because they're at a serious economic disadvantage in their own country or they didn't feel safe in their own.
            That's very sad. It's still not a valid excuse for breaking the law.

Everybody knows that the chances of of our government just granting citizenship is low.
            No, they'll just give them permanent residency status instead. Most of these illegals don't want citizenship.

It's very hard to even be considered for the chance at citizenship.
            While it's certainly more complicated than it should be, millions and millions of people manage to come here and obtain their citizenship legally every year. There's no valid reason not to go through legal channels.

There are people who are here legally for years and can't be made citizens.
            Such as?

There are people who wait years to come in here. Those who aren't safe don't have that option.
            There are a shit ton of people who are in "unsafe" situations (meaning pretty much the entire rest of the world outside of North America, Europe, and Australia) who manage to wait years and still come here legally.

There are people who have been here their entire life and yet the government is trying to force them to back "home" because they technically were not born here.
            There's no "technically" about it: either they were born here, or they weren't. If they weren't, with little exception, they need to go through the process of becoming a citizen.

There are families being torn apart because one member wasn't born here.
            Families are torn apart all the time because someone in the family did something illegal. That's the price you pay for doing illegal things. If someone in your family robs a bank, your family is going to get torn apart. No one questions this until it comes to some illegal coming here, and then somehow there's magically some divine right to not have one's family torn apart.

I think that the idea that we can make them all disappear after years of not securing the border is a make believe fantasy. Seriously.
            To some degree that's true. But we can indeed (and definitely should) make it very, very difficult to be here illegally. Shutter any business that knowingly hires an illegal, mandate e-Verify for all employees, both those currently working and new-hires. Shut off all forms of any sort of welfare if anyone in a home is found to be an illegal. Allow no drivers licenses nor any form of insurance for anyone here illegally.

Do that, and the illegals will flee like crazy. And lest you think that this is somehow "cruel," bear ye in mind that even if we did all of those things, the United States would still have, by far, the most open, liberal immigration system on the planet. Just go try to be an illegal in Canada or France or Japan and see what happens to you.

I don't support all parts of the Amnesty bill, but I do support it.
            Please cite one valid, non-emotional reason for it.

I applaud Republicans and Democrats willing to work together for it.
            Here's a hint: amnesty is another form of corporate welfare. The reason that some Democrats and some Republicans want amnesty is that they are getting big corporate pressure and support for illegals.

I condemn Boehner once again trying to divide and conquer while not consider who his policies hurt.
            1.) There is absolutely nothing wrong with dividing and conquering. It was considered a completely valid strategy when it came to opposing Bush. Saying it's somehow wrong now is just an absurd double-standard.
            2.) Who are his policies hurting?

It's like the shut down. He just didn't care who it hurt so long as he could have his way
            It was Barack Obama and Harry Reid who "shut down" the government, not John Boehner. And who did it hurt? I mean other than the people that Barack Obama intentionally hurt with his policies.

Hint: no one went hungry or got kicked out of their homes because of the "shut down." Not even in North Carolina. So name the person who was hurt.

(getting paid while not running the government or doing his job).
            His job is to control the purse strings of the federal government. It's in the Constitution and everything. While it was Reid and Obama who orchestrated and ultimately forced the "shut-down," Boehner was doing his job by not just handing out money like it was fucking Halloween candy.

He probably has the same smug look as he did during the shut down as well. He just has a total smugness to him that I can't stand.
            I don't really like Boehner either, but this is just irrational emotionalism.
            Bask in the warmth of the Deep South
            No one will be denied:
            Big law suits and bathroom toots;
            We're all getting Dixie-fried.
            But somewhere Hank and Lefty
            Are rollin' in their graves
            While kudzu vines grow over signs that read "Jesus Saves."

Comment

The danger to Republicans is the right, not the center. Boehner knows that.
              "There are four lights!"

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                That's your opinion as a liberal. The same could be said by the other side about Obama.
                You mean if they weren't so mature and dispassionate and rigidly rational.
                Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Novaheart View Post

$396,000

I would have thought that Juan and Maria would live in a house. Around here, property taxes pay for schools.
                  Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
                    I would have thought that Juan and Maria would live in a house. Around here, property taxes pay for schools.
                    Around 'here', school finance has several sources of revenue, the two largest are the Fed Gov and Missouri General Revenue, followed by a portion of gambling taxes.

If left to property taxes only, the schools in some districts would be one room log cabins with a single teacher for 12 grades.
                    Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
                    and lost …
                    But the Republicans are racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
                      You mean if they weren't so mature and dispassionate and rigidly rational.
                      No. I mean that the same could be said about your political leaders ie Obama, Pelosi, and Reid.
                      May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
                      Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
                      And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
                      may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

Working...
                      X