Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knockout: Victims of brutal Downtown Mall assault want arrests, and answers from poli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knockout: Victims of brutal Downtown Mall assault want arrests, and answers from poli

A couple’s late night stroll on the Christmas-lit Downtown Mall turned to terror in the early morning hours of Friday, December 20, when they were brutally assaulted by three men in what appears to have been a random act of violence.

Even though one of the victims, Jeanne Doucette, managed to take photos that appear to show the assailants as they kicked and pummeled her boyfriend Marc Adams to unconsciousness, Charlottesville Police still do not have any suspects. Doucette says there were other witnesses to the crime, which allegedly occurred just outside the Wells Fargo building at around 1am as she and Adams walked from Miller’s to Rapture, and she is baffled as to why the police haven’t shared her images more widely with people who could have seen the suspects earlier in the evening.
    “I cannot understand why they didn’t let people know what happened,” said Doucette, who still bore injuries from the assault when she met for an interview a week later. “Those pictures might have prompted some tips.”
    The images she captured are blurry but nonetheless appear to corroborate her account of the night’s events, including the brutality of the beating, during which she says the assailants joked and laughed, even stopping to hug in the midst of the onslaught.
    Doucette said the assault occurred after she and Adams, both 39, had met for a drink at Miller’s after Adams finished his shift as chef for a downtown food cart. They headed east up the Mall toward Rapture to end their night with music, when Adams tripped and fell in front of Derriere de Soie lingerie store, a block from Miller’s. As he was getting up, a man approached quickly, said something that Doucette couldn’t make out, and kicked Adams while he was on the ground, before being joined by his friends who beat Adams severely, breaking his ankle, cracking ribs and knocking out one of his teeth.
    Isolated Incident
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

They (the police, the Governor's office) also failed to tell people here that black "youths" were selectively targeting white and white-looking Hispanic men for beatings and robbery in LoDo summer before last.

A lot of guys went to the hospital and the politicians were horrified when citizen journalists started publishing police reports about it.

The police, politicians, and "professional" journalists stood around and did nothing to alert people to the situation.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

There is very little justice in America anymore, and it's not going to get any better.

Comment

Originally posted by phillygirl View Post

‘Summer Of The Shark’ In 2001 More Hype Than Fact, New Numbers Show

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Despite Time magazine labeling it the “Summer of the Shark” and the prevailing perception that 2001 was a banner year for shark attacks, actual numbers were slightly down, a new University of Florida study shows.

The annual total of 76 unprovoked attacks worldwide was less than the 85 recorded in 2000, and fatalities declined from 12 to five in the same period, said George Burgess, director of the International Shark Attack File, which is housed at the University of Florida.

The file is a record of all known shark attacks. Burgess, a biological scientist and operations coordinator at the Florida Museum of Natural History, reports the numbers annually and has just finished compiling them.

“Last year was anything but an average year, but that’s because it was more like the summer of the media feeding frenzy,” he said.

The number of attacks remained nearly identical in both the United States (55 in 2001 compared with 54 the previous year) and Florida, the nation’s leader, where they decreased from 38 to 37, Burgess said.

But a few high-profile cases turned an otherwise slow news summer on its head. It began with the dramatic rescue of 8-year-old Jessie Arbogast, whose arm was severed by a bull shark in the waters off Pensacola, Fla., on the weekend after the Fourth of July, he said.

Burgess, who normally handles about 300 inquiries a year from newspapers and radio and television stations on sharks, did more than 900 interviews during July, August and September.

“I had more calls in those three months than I had in the previous three years combined,” he said. “Some of them were from radio shows in places like Montana, North Dakota and Idaho, where there hasn’t been a shark since the Miocene.”

International press coverage also was heavy because Florida is a popular destination for tourists from Western Europe and Japan.

After saving his nephew in the July 6 attack, Arbogast’s uncle pulled the shark to shore, emergency medical personnel retrieved the arm out of the shark’s throat. Surgeons later reattached the limb.

“It was a made-for-TV movie kind of incident – one that clearly captured the imagination of the American public – and certainly was worth every line and TV spot that it got,” he said.
        Colonel Vogel : What does the diary tell you that it doesn't tell us?

Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

Comment

Get a gun, people. Get training, and get a permit. THIS is why you need more than just a few bullets in your magazine. Pointing your camera at someone clearly isn't going to help.
          It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
          In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
          Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
          Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
            Get a gun, people.
            I figured it was just generic race bait fear and loathing to sell eyeballs. It never occurred to me that it was an ad campaign for the firearms industry.

Thanks, Adam.

Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post
              I figured it was just generic race bait fear and loathing to sell eyeballs. It never occurred to me that it was an ad campaign for the firearms industry.

Thanks, Adam.
              Are you a jackass?
              The year's at the spring
              And day's at the morn;
              Morning's at seven;
              The hill-side's dew-pearled;
              The lark's on the wing;
              The snail's on the thorn:
              God's in his heaven—
              All's right with the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
                They (the police, the Governor's office) also failed to tell people here that black "youths" were selectively targeting white and white-looking Hispanic men for beatings and robbery in LoDo summer before last.

A lot of guys went to the hospital and the politicians were horrified when citizen journalists started publishing police reports about it.

The police, politicians, and "professional" journalists stood around and did nothing to alert people to the situation.
                This is ridiculous. When a white person knocked out a black person a while back, they charged this guy with a hate crime.

I understand that a liberal media didn't want to report that. What I don't get is what the cops are thinking.

Comment

Thanks, Adam.
                  Notice how people who sell guns don't do ads. They don't need to. Criminals are all the advertisement they need.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanie View Post
                    Notice how people who sell guns don't do ads. They don't need to. Criminals are all the advertisement they need.
                    outstanding post
                    The year's at the spring
                    And day's at the morn;
                    Morning's at seven;
                    The hill-side's dew-pearled;
                    The lark's on the wing;
                    The snail's on the thorn:
                    God's in his heaven—
                    All's right with the world!

Comment

Thanks, Adam.
                      Good grief.

Look, the gun-grabbers constantly harp on about "Why would you carry a gun all the time? Are you paranoid?" The answer is no. The answer is you will never know when you will need a gun. Do you think that either of these people went out to a shopping center, a well-lit and heavily-trafficked place, on a Friday night, expecting to get attacked at random? I sure as Hell don't. If they had even the slightest inkling that something like this might happen, they either: a.) would not have gone there in the first place (most likely), and/or; b.) would have gone there prepared to defend themselves (considerably less likely, but possible).

It does not matter who it is or where: there are bad people on this planet, even in relatively sleepy Charlottesville, Virginia. It does not matter whether it's a band of Black youths or a white suburbanite serial rapist or some upset and deranged ex-boyfriend or a "professional" mugger or a pickup truck full of drunken rednecks: the police are not going to be there to defend you. They can't be. It's up to you to defend yourself, and the way to do that is to put two in the chest and one in the head of people who are attacking you. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Novaheart View Post
                        Are you a jackass?

Comment

Notice how people who sell guns don't do ads.
                          No.

Comment

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
                              During which television program did this air?

Comment

Working...
                              X