• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York restaurant has no-talking menu

New York restaurant has no-talking menu

Posted: Oct 09, 2013 4:24 AM MDT
    Updated: Oct 09, 2013 6:15 AM MDT

The latest in New York City dining? Eating in silence.

A restaurant in Brooklyn's trendy Greenpoint neighborhood is serving up a four-course meal of organic, locally-sourced food, but isn't allowing any chit-chat.

'Eat' restaurant chef Nicholas Nauman says he was inspired to put on the occasional 'No Talking' affairs after spending time with Buddhist monks in India. He says the silence allows customers a chance to better experience the food.

The restaurant's Facebook page says seats fill up fast at the no talking meals. It costs $40 for 4 courses.

Epicurious.com Editor-in-Chief Tanya Steel says the silent eating experience sounds like yet another facet of the sensory-dining eating out fad. Some restaurants offer diners the chance to consume in the dark. Other gastronomical joints feature the ability to consume not just the food - but the menu on which it is described.
    LOL! Religious groups who eat in silence aren't doing it to better admire the beans and rice, they're doing it as part of a way of life that values introspection and sometimes religious reading given during the meal. Hipsters always screw up culture.

On the other hand, this could be just the thing for those awkward family get togethers.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/Story/2364386...#ixzz2hGy2aWDJ
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
    LOL! Religious groups who eat in silence aren't doing it to better admire the beans and rice, they're doing it as part of a way of life that values introspection and sometimes religious reading given during the meal. Hipsters always screw up culture.

On the other hand, this could be just the thing for those awkward family get togethers.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/Story/2364386...#ixzz2hGy2aWDJ
    No talking in a restaurant? OK, the waiter, waitress or host(ess) comes around in sign language to ask expected questions in sign language? Flip the bird for "not good" and open mouth during masticating, tilt head back, point into cavity for "excellent"?

Comment

Originally posted by deudyurondame View Post
      No talking in a restaurant? OK, the waiter, waitress or host(ess) comes around in sign language to ask expected questions in sign language? Flip the bird for "not good" and open mouth during masticating, tilt head back, point into cavity for "excellent"?
      Just what I was thinking. Other than actually taking the waiter's pad and writing down one's order, howinahell are you supposed to not talk in a restaurant?

Now, I will certainly be the first one who gripes about a noisy restaurant (when it's somewhere that shouldn't be noisy; if you think that a sports bar is supposed to be a place for a quiet, romantic dinner, then you're just deluding yourself), but really, a reasonably low murmur of conversation really should bother no one in North America.

If you really want to go to some place where people eat in total silence like Tibetan monks, then I suggest you get an airline ticket and go to Tibet.

ETA: Buddhist monks. Even easier. There are Buddhist temples all over the country. I bet you could even find one where you could have a meal if you were so inclined.
      It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
      In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
      Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
      Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post

ETA: Buddhist monks. Even easier. There are Buddhist temples all over the country. I bet you could even find one where you could have a meal if you were so inclined.
        Yeah but they'd chat with you over here. I've eaten at the Hare Krishna temple and those people never shut up.

Comment

Yeah but they'd chat with you over here. I've eaten at the Hare Krishna temple and those people never shut up.
          And here is where my knowledge of Eastern religion breaks down and falls off like an asymptote. I thought the Krishnas were sort of like NOI or Jehova's Witnesses or whatever relative to Christianity: not really considered actual Hindus as opposed to the "mainstream" sect(s).

For that matter, I didn't think that the Krishnas ever really left the departures hall at LAX.
          It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
          In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
          Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
          Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

How are the milk shakes?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
              And here is where my knowledge of Eastern religion breaks down and falls off like an asymptote. I thought the Krishnas were sort of like NOI or Jehova's Witnesses or whatever relative to Christianity: not really considered actual Hindus as opposed to the "mainstream" sect(s).

For that matter, I didn't think that the Krishnas ever really left the departures hall at LAX.
              Who knows? 75% of the Buddhists in the West would be unrecognizable to the average Buddhist in Singapore. At some Catholic retreat houses they really do shut up at lunch but not so they can appreciate the peas better.

Comment

Who knows? 75% of the Buddhists in the West would be unrecognizable to the average Buddhist in Singapore. At some Catholic retreat houses they really do shut up at lunch but not so they can appreciate the peas better.
                You're correct about this. Foodies seem to love their obsession, and they are so smug about the "spirituality" of the experience and eschew any other experiences with disdain and talk of them being "vices" (gluttony is too, FYI).

Enjoying food in silence isn't supposed to be some autoerotic experience; it's supposed to be a time of peace, reflection, and being receptive to God's Grace. I have no issue with the trendy fetish of sensory deprivation of all but olfactory but the link to Buddhism is exactly as you described it, "Hipsters always screw up culture."
                "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

-John Locke

Comment

If I lived in Bwooklin I would want the other diners to be silent.

edit - On second thought, the way New Yorkers smack their lips when they eat, I prefer the lilting New York accent in the background.
                  The year's at the spring
                  And day's at the morn;
                  Morning's at seven;
                  The hill-side's dew-pearled;
                  The lark's on the wing;
                  The snail's on the thorn:
                  God's in his heaven—
                  All's right with the world!

Comment

They probably run a lot more customers through the place by not allowing conversation. Good moneymaker.

Comment

Working...
                    X