Homemade lower-sodium Dale’s Seasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade lower-sodium Dale’s Seasoning

Dale's Seasoning is popular in the South as a marinade for pretty much any meat as well as a few other uses (some like to use it for vegetables to grill, for example). It's also pretty much just sodium in a bottle, but it does add a nice rich flavor. The nice part is that a little bit goes a long way: just a few drops will do wonders for the flavor of a chicken breast, for example.

There are a number of others who make essentially the same thing, and my personal preference has been Johnny Fleeman's for a long time. But for all practical purposes, it's really no different than Dale's.

There are two options when creating this marinade, like with Worcestershire: one is using fresh ingredients and the other is using powder equivalents.

Yield is 4 cups no matter which method is used. With a serving size of 1 tablespoon, sodium is about 367mg per serving. Still a lot, but much better than the 410mg/tbsp. for Johnny Fleeman’s or 700mg/tbsp. for Dale’s reduced sodium seasoning (the full-flavor Dale’s is 1220mg/tbsp!). And again, most of the time you're not going to use a tablespoon in a single serving of something; more like a quarter of that.

Powder method:

Ingredients:
    • 3 cups reduced-sodium tamari sauce
    • ⅓ cup Worcestershire sauce
    • ½ teaspoon ginger powder
    • 2 tablespoons sugar
    • ¼ teaspoon paprika
    • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:
    Combine all ingredients in small-medium saucepan. Simmer gently for about five minutes to ensure that all ingredients dissolve completely.

Allow sauce to cool and bottle as you choose. Will keep in the refrigerator for a long time.

Whole ingredients method:

Ingredients:

Same as powder method, except substitute:
    • ½ teaspoon ground or sliced ginger root
    • 1 clove garlic, chopped or sliced into thin slices, or pressed through a garlic press

Directions:
    Essentially the same as the directions for Worcestershire for whole ingredients method.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now
Working...
X