Tomato base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato base

I don't really have any sort of fixed recipe for this. It's really just sort of a case of throwing it together as I go, but I use this for all sorts of things to cook later. So, it's quite handy for the person cooking for one to have this made up and ready in advance and then you just need to spoon a bit out of the jar. I use it for everything from spaghetti sauce to chicken parmesan to this morning's breakfast: baked eggs.

It can be as thick or thin as you'd like, though I prefer it pretty thick. If it's coming out thicker than you'd like, then just add in a bit of tomato sauce or even tomato juice to thin it out. It will all keep quite nicely in a jar under refrigeration.

Basics:
    • one large can of crushed tomatoes, no salt kind in my case
    • one small can of tomato paste, again no salt
    • one can of diced tomatoes
    • spices, herbs, and seasonings to taste

I will typically add crushed/minced garlic, minced onion, Italian seasoning, and some fresh basil and rosemary that I have chopped up, maybe a little browning seasoning and/or Worcestershire sauce for richness, but all of this varies according to taste. I put it all into a medium (3-quart usually) saucepan and bring to a low simmer for a few minutes. The heat in this case brings out the oils that flavor the herbs have. Heat it all for a few minutes and stir occasionally and you'll get that nice, earthy flavor of the herbs.

Remove from heat and allow to cool. Spoon/ladle into jar(s) to use later. This tends to get richer and more flavorful over time in the refrigerator, so if you use it in a few days for spaghetti sauce, you'll like what you get. One way or another, though, it's a base from which to make all sorts of things, so having a supply at the ready is just good sense in a kitchen, and it'll save you tons of time later when you're trying to prep something else.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Addendum:

I would presume that one can freeze this for later use if so desired, but honestly I have never tried. If you do, just put it into baggies and label it and then toss it into the freezer. I don't think that any sort of special preparation or handling would be needed.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
      I would presume that one can freeze this for later use if so desired, but honestly I have never tried. If you do, just put it into baggies and label it and then toss it into the freezer. I don't think that any sort of special preparation or handling would be needed.
      Just make sure you express all the air out of the baggie. We do it all the time with Spaghetti Gravy and Pesto because we make it in bulk.
      If it pays, it stays

Comment

Working...
      X