Super-duper easy, speedy breakfast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super-duper easy, speedy breakfast

Do you need to eat breakfast in a hurry? Maybe you have a client meeting early in the morning or just are generally in a hurry and don't really have time to sit down to breakfast and take time to eat it. Or, do you need to feed multiple people breakfast and they're all getting up at different times and in a hurry to get somewhere.

Meet the quaisi sous vide omelette. It's not truly an omelette and it's not actually sous vide, but it's close to both and gets the job done.

Take a small ziploc bag (sandwich size or snack size if you can get it to fit) and turn the top inside-out while placing it in a coffee mug or something similar (small tumbler glass, etc.). In this bag, put what you want in your omelette: cheese, onions, sausage, whatever. Then crack one or two eggs and either whip them in a bowl or just crack them directly into the bag and mash them up until everything is mixed well: yolk, white, ingredients, etc. Close the bag making sure that all of the air is expelled, and throw it into the refrigerator.

In the morning, start a pot of water to get hot (boiling isn't necessary, just hot and steaming) and toss the bag into the water. In about 3-4 minutes, your omelette is cooked. Empty your bag onto a plate. Eat and enjoy.

Don't have time to sit down and eat? Wrap the business up in a tortilla and take it with you. Wrap the tortilla with a couple of paper towels and you can just eat it in the car.

It's not truly an omelette, as properly an omelette will have a bit of a "crust" to it, and it's not truly sous vide, as the temperature is not that carefully controlled, but it's the basic ideas of both and it works well.

This is particularly great if you have company overnighting. Everyone can just label their own bag and you set it up like a mini-buffet: Jim gets onions and sausage, Susan chooses bacon and green bell peppers, etc. Each of their own bags goes into the refrigerator, and then in the morning you just toss their bag into the hot water when they're ready to eat. Easy as pie. Easier, really.
    Last edited by Adam; Friday, May 14, 2021, 12:41 AM.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

I enjoy reading your food hacks. Almost as good as your cuisine romance novel starring the quivering egg.
    If it pays, it stays

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
      Do you need to eat breakfast in a hurry? Maybe you have a client meeting early in the morning or just are generally in a hurry and don't really have time to sit down to breakfast and take time to eat it. Or, do you need to feed multiple people breakfast and they're all getting up at different times and in a hurry to get somewhere.

Meet the quaisi sous vide omelette. It's not truly an omelette and it's not actually sous vide, but it's close to both and gets the job done.

Take a small ziploc bag (sandwich size or snack size if you can get it to fit) and turn the top inside-out while placing it in a coffee mug or something similar (small tumbler glass, etc.). In this bag, put what you want in your omelette: cheese, onions, sausage, whatever. Then crack one or two eggs and either whip them in a bowl or just crack them directly into the bag and mash them up until everything is mixed well: yolk, white, ingredients, etc. Close the bag making sure that all of the air is expelled, and throw it into the refrigerator.

In the morning, start a pot of water to get hot (boiling isn't necessary, just hot and steaming) and toss the bag into the water. In about 3-4 minutes, your omelette is cooked. Empty your bag onto a plate. Eat and enjoy.

Don't have time to sit down and eat? Wrap the business up in a tortilla and take it with you. Wrap the tortilla with a couple of paper towels and you can just eat it in the car.

It's not truly an omelette, as properly an omelette will have a bit of a "crust" to it, and it's not truly sous vide, as the temperature is not that carefully controlled, but it's the basic ideas of both and it works well.

This is particularly great if you have company overnighting. Everyone can just label their own bag and you set it up like a mini-buffet: Jim gets onions and sausage, Susan chooses bacon and green bell peppers, etc. Each of their own bags goes into the refrigerator, and then in the morning you just toss their bag into the hot water when they're ready to eat. Easy as pie. Easier, really.
      I was thinking. You could call this the Hot-tub Omelette
      If it pays, it stays

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
        I enjoy reading your food hacks. Almost as good as your cuisine romance novel starring the quivering egg.
        I'm going to wind up having to narrate one of these just for phillygirl's enjoyment (in private), aren't I? I've really created a demon here.
        The egg quivered at his gentle touch, and twitched ever so slightly as he eased it onto the toast. The delicious and rich hollandaise slathered over all of the delightful concoction until, finally, the sweet release of the yolk pierced by his delicate fork...

Comment

I'm going to wind up having to narrate one of these just for phillygirl's enjoyment (in private), aren't I? I've really created a demon here.
          The egg quivered at his gentle touch, and twitched trembled ever so slightly as he eased positioned it onto the toast. He spread the delicious and rich full bodied hollandaise slathered over all of the delightful concoction, gently nudging it into the rounded curves of the yellow, until, finally, the sweet release of the yolk pierced by his delicate fork...
          Just a bit more...
          Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
          Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Originally posted by phillygirl View Post
            Just a bit more...

OK, this in now officially a thing. I'm going to have to work on this a bit....

Comment

OK, this in now officially a thing. I'm going to have to work on this a bit....
              I think this guy needs some work if you need a cover model.

8eb8b3a0ae8556a6ecb75df3076ba46c--butter-metal.jpg
              “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
              I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
              I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
              I kill with my heart.”

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

Comment

I make a similar egg thing in the microwave.

Spray a bowl (I use paper bowls for easy cleanup) with nonstick spray and crack an egg in it. Pierce the yolk or it will get violent cooking. Put on top whatever omelet fixin's you want; you can stir them in or leave them on top; the egg will kinda fold itself up around some of it. My favorite is chopped green onions, parmesan, and bits of sausage (that I'd already microwaved). Cover with a saucer (because it gets a little violent anyway) and microwave on high for 1:25.

When it's done, take it out and put a slice of cheese on it if you wish. Recover it with the saucer so the cheese gets melty. Serve between two slices of toast. I put onion and chive cream cheese on my toast, because, hey, cheese! Can't have too much.
                “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
                I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
                I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
                I kill with my heart.”

Comment

Originally posted by daveman View Post
                  I make a similar egg thing in the microwave.

Spray a bowl (I use paper bowls for easy cleanup) with nonstick spray and crack an egg in it. Pierce the yolk or it will get violent cooking. Put on top whatever omelet fixin's you want; you can stir them in or leave them on top; the egg will kinda fold itself up around some of it. My favorite is chopped green onions, parmesan, and bits of sausage (that I'd already microwaved). Cover with a saucer (because it gets a little violent anyway) and microwave on high for 1:25.

When it's done, take it out and put a slice of cheese on it if you wish. Recover it with the saucer so the cheese gets melty. Serve between two slices of toast. I put onion and chive cream cheese on my toast, because, hey, cheese! Can't have too much.
                  Interesting. I am generally pretty nervous about anything egg-related in the microwave because, you know, BOOM!

But this certainly sounds like it would be faster than my method overall.

Comment

Interesting. I am generally pretty nervous about anything egg-related in the microwave because, you know, BOOM!

But this certainly sounds like it would be faster than my method overall.
                    Yeah, boom. Just make sure the yolk is pierced and the bowl is covered.

Yes, it's pretty fast, and the microwave would use less energy than the stove, I believe.
                    I aim with my eye.

I shoot with my mind.

I kill with my heart.”

Comment

Working...
                    X