Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Elk Hunt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First Elk Hunt

    My son, Matt, is taking his daughter and nephew, both 14, on their first elk hunt this Saturday. Both of the kids drew elk tags..Kali has one for a bull and Joseph has one for a cow. They both also drew deer tags but won't use them if they get an elk. Matt bow hunted this year just so he could guide the kids. The weather should be perfect for them..high 50's'-low 60's during the day and low 40's at night. We're all so excited for them!
    May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

  • #2
    Cool!!

    More details.....

    Private land, public land, mountain?, rifle? caliber, and posting pictures is a must!!
    If it pays, it stays

    Comment


    • #3
      Super cool! You must post pix whether they get something or not!

      Don't forget to post in Recipes if they get lucky.
      "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

      Comment


      • #4
        I had a chance to hunt this weekend.

        Took my puppy to the Hampsters:

        Went back to the parents house and saw a bunch of these:


        Reached in the back of the truck and forgot I couldn't tell anyone .... that I forgot .... yano .... at the gates of weapon free hell.
        Last edited by deudyurondame; Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 5:14 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
          Cool!!

          More details.....

          Private land, public land, mountain?, rifle? caliber, and posting pictures is a must!!
          Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
          Super cool! You must post pix whether they get something or not!

          Don't forget to post in Recipes if they get lucky.
          They plan to hunt on the Uncompahgre Plateau which is in the Uncompahgre National Forest. All the campgrounds are closed but they don't need one to set-up camp. It will just be an inconvenience. The Park Rangers around here are mostly hunters themselves so they are not happy about what they have been ordered to do.

          Joseph will be hunting with a 1960 Winchester Model 70 30:06. They sited it over the weekend and it shot 1" at 100! <---exclamation is my husband's. Original condition - no recoil - pad added.

          Kali will be hunting with her Savage 270 WSM. Kali actually went hunting with Matt 2 yrs ago..I forgot about that..and she got an elk.

          If I can get permission from my kids (they sorta freaked out when I told them I posted photos of Emma a while ago and Melissa, our daughter, is usually non-budging when I want to post a photo of Joseph), I will post photos. My son and family are coming over tonight for dinner and I'm hoping to get a picture of his beard. He grows it out and doesn't cut it until he gets his elk..it looks like one of those wooly caterpillars without the orange stripe.
          May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
          Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
          And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
          may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by deudyurondame View Post
            I had a chance to hunt this weekend.

            Took my puppy to the Hampsters:

            Went back to the parents house and saw a bunch of these:


            Reached in the back of the truck and forgot I couldn't tell anyone .... that I forgot .... yano .... at the gates of weapon free hell.
            Hahaha! Gosh, that beach looks like it could be snow. What I beautiful place..I'd be visiting mom and dad a lot.

            The deer come down here in the winter and they are such pests! I have a kind of grainy photo of the bunch from year before last that I'll try and dig up. The last two years we've let a few hunters in (friends of our son) to shoot one and we're hoping to do that this year, too.
            May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
            Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
            And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
            may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Michele View Post
              They plan to hunt on the Uncompahgre Plateau which is in the Uncompahgre National Forest. All the campgrounds are closed but they don't need one to set-up camp. It will just be an inconvenience. The Park Rangers around here are mostly hunters themselves so they are not happy about what they have been ordered to do.

              Joseph will be hunting with a 1960 Winchester Model 70 30:06. They sited it over the weekend and it shot 1" at 100! <---exclamation is my husband's. Original condition - no recoil - pad added.

              Kali will be hunting with her Savage 270 WSM. Kali actually went hunting with Matt 2 yrs ago..I forgot about that..and she got an elk.

              If I can get permission from my kids (they sorta freaked out when I told them I posted photos of Emma a while ago and Melissa, our daughter, is usually non-budging when I want to post a photo of Joseph), I will post photos. My son and family are coming over tonight for dinner and I'm hoping to get a picture of his beard. He grows it out and doesn't cut it until he gets his elk..it looks like one of those wooly caterpillars without the orange stripe.
              Cool!! Thanks for the information. Love the pre-64 Winchester Model 70.
              If it pays, it stays

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Michele View Post
                The last two years we've let a few hunters in (friends of our son) to shoot one and we're hoping to do that this year, too.
                Hi friend!!
                If it pays, it stays

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
                  Hi friend!!
                  Not a good quality photo but here's the gang that hung out in our pasture last year. We have a young woman (she's our renters s-i-l) coming over tomorrow to try to get a buck. So far, he's the only one we've spotted..all the rest have been doe's.

                  May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
                  Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
                  And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
                  may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Michele View Post
                    Not a good quality photo but here's the gang that hung out in our pasture last year. We have a young woman (she's our renters s-i-l) coming over tomorrow to try to get a buck. So far, he's the only one we've spotted..all the rest have been doe's.

                    Wow...gorgeous bucks!
                    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
                    Robert Southwell, S.J.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sooo..he didn't get an elk but they did see some. Our son said that they flushed a group of five out and he said, okay kids..let's get going. They said, but they're running away? And that was their first lesson on tracking. Three and a half hours later, they followed them up to a cliff that was too much of a sheer so they turned around.

                      My sis and her husband were visiting along with our daughter so we packed up lunch and met the hunters at their camp when they returned. It was cold but we had a good time. Here are the two hunters with their grandpa and Emma:




                      He also had a doe tag for the area where we have a 40-acre fallow ranch. He got his first kill in about five minutes.



                      Matt gave Joseph the backstrap to take home and will have the rest processed for them to take back when they come over for Thanksgiving.
                      May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
                      Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
                      And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
                      may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by phillygirl View Post
                        Wow...gorgeous bucks!
                        Yeah, they're nice looking but they're also a pain in the butt.
                        May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
                        Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
                        And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
                        may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Michele View Post
                          Sooo..he didn't get an elk but they did see some. Our son said that they flushed a group of five out and he said, okay kids..let's get going. They said, but they're running away? And that was their first lesson on tracking. Three and a half hours later, they followed them up to a cliff that was too much of a sheer so they turned around.

                          My sis and her husband were visiting along with our daughter so we packed up lunch and met the hunters at their camp when they returned. It was cold but we had a good time. Here are the two hunters with their grandpa and Emma:




                          He also had a doe tag for the area where we have a 40-acre fallow ranch. He got his first kill in about five minutes.



                          Matt gave Joseph the backstrap to take home and will have the rest processed for them to take back when they come over for Thanksgiving.
                          Great pics!
                          Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
                          Robert Southwell, S.J.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Cool stuff!! I'd love to come down and pop one of those Mule Deer. That one on the left is a shooter for sure. How much land do you have?
                            If it pays, it stays

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
                              Cool stuff!! I'd love to come down and pop one of those Mule Deer. That one on the left is a shooter for sure. How much land do you have?
                              We have four acres where we live and a forty acre piece of property in the town next to us. There are always a ton of deer out there. The property goes out a ways and then slopes down to a canyon bottom with a creek that runs through it and then back up again where it flattens out. It's very pretty with beautiful mountains to look at.
                              May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
                              Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
                              And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
                              may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X