Making Bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Bullets

When we stopped in Dubai in 2015 on the way to Africa we visited with an international hunter. He had his own metal shop capable of building his own firearms. What Joyce found more fascinating was how his CNC machine created 100% copper monolithic bullets. This is a 300 grain .375 H&H in the making.

Click on the thumbnail after it loads.
    If it pays, it stays

Video doesn't work.
    "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

-John Locke

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
      Video doesn't work.
      Maybe you have to be logged into the forum to see it? Not sure.

Here's the LINK to the thread. Scroll down to this post and click on the first link to the video. Let me know if that works?

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 1.31.09 PM.png
      If it pays, it stays

Comment

Knew a guy who used to make his own bullets for hunting. Said they were cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Marva View Post
          Knew a guy who used to make his own bullets for hunting. Said they were cheaper.
          Most likely cast bullets. A modern CNC machine as shown in the video list big bucks.
          If it pays, it stays

Comment

If you have a die and a press (not terribly expensive: a few hundred bucks in most cases), then it definitely is cheaper if you keep your brass. Buying the powder and the primers is definitely cheaper (or at least used to be; I haven't done it in a good long while). It's also pretty cheap to cast lead ball rounds if you know what you're doing and, of course, you have a way to get lead, and of course you have to take precautions dealing with that as well. FMJs are a whole different story, but you can buy the projectiles (including just ball loads) in bulk pretty cheap if you can get them in the right place. Then it's just a matter of assembly, which is pretty boring: press the primer into the brass, measure out X amount of powder, pour it into the round, and then press on the projectile. Mechanically, no different than using a slot machine, though I would certainly recommend being more careful. You can make a thousand rounds in a few hours for most calibers. It's boring. It's sort of like canning soup or something: just repetitive stuff until you have the stock that you want. And yes, in most cases you'll save money in the long run.

The beauty of making your own bullets is that you can customize a round to exactly what you want it for: "I need exactly 226 grains of powder for this round to push this 137-grain projectile" or whatever. Can make for a very good hunting load or if you are a competition shooter or something. But it's not something your everyday Joe is going to do: there's a bunch of math involved, you have to practice-shoot and then police your own brass for quite a while in order to build up enough brass (and a significant portion of those casings won't be re-usable), and then you have to settle in to a whole night of measuring stuff out on the scale over and over again, doing the same repetitive motion with some pretty active precision, etc. So, it's really not worth it to most of people, even if it saves money (just like making soup isn't worth it to you for the time if you can get it for 78 cents per can at the store: your time is just more valuable that that). I did it as kind of a half-ass hobby and just to see what I could do, but only because I knew someone who was basically giving away a die and a press (he was upgrading). I don't bother doing it anymore because I don't have a workbench to do all of this stuff now and honestly I would never have saved money at it. It's like brewing your own beer: probably won't actually save you money, but maybe you'll find out some interesting stuff as an experiment and at least get the satisfaction of saying that you did it yourself.

Honestly, I don't get why anyone would bother having CNC-milled copper rounds. Maybe they're useful against leprechauns like silver rounds are against vampires or something? I don't know. As I've noted before, I'm not a hunter, so there's probably some hunting need to this that I don't recognize.
            It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
            In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
            Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
            Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post

Honestly, I don't get why anyone would bother having CNC-milled copper rounds. Maybe they're useful against leprechauns like silver rounds are against vampires or something? I don't know. As I've noted before, I'm not a hunter, so there's probably some hunting need to this that I don't recognize.
              Biden Administration Moves to Ban Lead Ammunition

Effective July 1, 2019, nonlead ammunition is required when taking any wildlife with a firearm anywhere in California.

If it pays, it stays

Comment

Well, that's what depleted uranium is for....

Comment

Not that I was going to take up a new hobby anyway, but my firearms instructor said the reason he doesn't allow reloads is that every handgun he's ever seen blow up was using reloads.

Yeah, that's operator error, but I'm not willing to bet the use of my hand on my or any other amateur's ability to handmake ammunition properly.
                  "Since the historic ruling, the Lovings have become icons for equality. Mildred released a statement on the 40th anniversary of the ruling in 2007: 'I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, Black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.'." - Mildred Loving (Loving v. Virginia)

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
                    Not that I was going to take up a new hobby anyway, but my firearms instructor said the reason he doesn't allow reloads is that every handgun he's ever seen blow up was using reloads.

Yeah, that's operator error, but I'm not willing to bet the use of my hand on my or any other amateur's ability to handmake ammunition properly.
                    Re-loads are definitely not for some slap-and-dash jagoff, and I would never accept re-loads from anyone whom I didn't absolutely trust implicitly with taking the proper care in making them, not trying to "hot-shot" them, can do the math correctly and show their work, etc. That circle of people for me is probably about three on the earth. It's just not something to fool around with. If I fart around and blow my own hand off, that's my problem, but if it's someone else's screw-up, there's going to be hell to pay.

FWIW, I know that Glock specifically says that all warranties are immediately void if you ever use a re-load in one of their guns. I would not be surprised if other manufacturers say something similar, but I don't have the specific knowledge to say affirmatively one way or the other.

Comment

A LOT cheaper. I have casted thousands of bullets in my life. Shotgun slugs too.

Mark
                      Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                        Re-loads are definitely not for some slap-and-dash jagoff, and I would never accept re-loads from anyone whom I didn't absolutely trust implicitly with taking the proper care in making them, not trying to "hot-shot" them, can do the math correctly and show their work, etc. That circle of people for me is probably about three on the earth. It's just not something to fool around with. If I fart around and blow my own hand off, that's my problem, but if it's someone else's screw-up, there's going to be hell to pay.

FWIW, I know that Glock specifically says that all warranties are immediately void if you ever use a re-load in one of their guns. I would not be surprised if other manufacturers say something similar, but I don't have the specific knowledge to say affirmatively one way or the other.
                        My son has a S&W 500 that he uses reloads in. It needed service and they fixed it for free.

Mark
                        Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbit View Post

Most likely cast bullets.
                          Yeah, he made them in his living room. Didn't hang around much while he was doing that.

Comment

Working...
                          X