X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Mustang station wagon??

Mustang concepts through the years.

1966 Mustang station wagon concept car.

1979 Mustang II station wagon concept car.

It looks alarmingly similar to the Vega station wagon:

Bask in the warmth of the Deep South
    No one will be denied:
    Big law suits and bathroom toots;
    We're all getting Dixie-fried.
    But somewhere Hank and Lefty
    Are rollin' in their graves
    While kudzu vines grow over signs that read "Jesus Saves."

It wasn't that much of a leap. Back then, there was demand for high power with room for kids and stuff. We had a Chrysler with a 318 Hemi and a Ford with a 454!
    "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

-John Locke

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
      It wasn't that much of a leap. Back then, there was demand for high power with room for kids and stuff. We had a Chrysler with a 318 Hemi and a Ford with a 454!
      Oh, no doubt. Mom's '71 Buick Estate had a 455 (and probably needed it; that damn thing probably weighed more than a Panzer). The trick is that a two-door wagon isn't really practical for hauling kids around. Sort of like trying to use an El Camino as an actual work truck.
      No one will be denied:

Comment

There were 2-door station wagons in the '50s. They worked fine. The door openings were huge, the seats tipped way forward, and we routinely put 4 kids in the back of a 1949 Mercury coupe, so a wagon would've been no problem.

The very one:

mercury.jpg
        "Think as I think," said a man,
        "Or you are abominably wicked;
        You are a toad."
        And after I had thought of it,
        I said: "I will, then, be a toad." - Stephen Crane

Comment

The 1979 model looks like something AMC would have built.
          Science that cannot be questioned is propaganda.

Cameras in classrooms now.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
            The 1979 model looks like something AMC would have built.
            I almost said that it looked like the Pacer wagon, but the Vega just stood out to me. Mrs. Sanford (childhood babysitter from time to time; she was the mother-in-law to a neighbor across the street) had a Vega wagon that we used to ride around in. Babyshit yellow, noisy, rode about as comfortably as a deuce-and-a-half. But it was fun when we were kids.
            No one will be denied:

Comment

318 Hemi? Don't think so Buddy. The 318 was a wedge motor.
              If it pays, it stays

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
                There were 2-door station wagons in the '50s. They worked fine. The door openings were huge, the seats tipped way forward, and we routinely put 4 kids in the back of a 1949 Mercury coupe, so a wagon would've been no problem.

The very one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]116[/ATTACH]
                My Brother would cut off his worthless left Nad for that Merc.
                If it pays, it stays

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                  rode about as comfortably as a deuce-and-a-half. But it was fun when we were kids.
                  You must have had bad hips from birth. What kid ever noticed the "ride" of a vehicle?
                  If it pays, it stays

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
                    318 Hemi? Don't think so Buddy. The 318 was a wedge motor.
                    Details, details. It was a 318 V-8 in a station wagon and it beat every other $5000 car on the road even though it was only $1000.

And as it turns out, driving a station wagon is not always a bad thing if there are drive-in movie theaters around.
                    "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

-John Locke

Comment

Details, details. It was a 318 V-8 in a station wagon and it beat every other $5000 car on the road even though it was only $1000.

And as it turns out, driving a station wagon is not always a bad thing if there are drive-in movie theaters around.
                      Nice deflection Buddy!! BTW, you would have to pull the wagon in backwards and drop the tailgate to watch the movie.
                      If it pays, it stays

Comment

Nice deflection Buddy!! BTW, you would have to pull the wagon in backwards and drop the tailgate to watch the movie.
                        And drop the back seats down to fit the mattress.

Yeah, I know.

-John Locke

Comment

And drop the back seats down to fit the mattress.

Yeah, I know.
                          Ever pull away and forget to take that damn nine ton speaker off the window?
                          If it pays, it stays

Comment

Ever pull away and forget to take that damn nine ton speaker off the window?
                            Ours had a radio channel so we never used the speakers.

Drive-ins were a whole lot of fun in high school. Kids these days are really missing out.

-John Locke

Comment

My Brother would cut off his worthless left Nad for that Merc.
                              Yeah, well, after my folks raised 4 kids in it, he would've had to do a lot of restoration to make it even worth that. But it still ran like a charm. In fact, dad pulled the engine out and transplanted it into the 24-foot cabin cruiser we built off a set of Chris Craft plans, where it ran well for many more years.

My first car was a babyshit-green '65 Mustang I bought in '75 for $400. It had been raced and the stock 289 was blown so the guys who sold it to me had dropped in a '69 (IIRC) Boss 302. That thing would haul ass, even with the automatic transmission.
                              "Think as I think," said a man,
                              "Or you are abominably wicked;
                              You are a toad."
                              And after I had thought of it,
                              I said: "I will, then, be a toad." - Stephen Crane

Comment

Working...
                              X