• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must have really good tea.

YIKES
    If it pays, it stays

Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
    I've got some Indian tea which is fantastic. Comes in a big red box in most "import" food stores. Tossed the box long ago. Need a tea ball to make it go.

Comment

Crazy people can always find an excuse to do crazy shit. I wouldn't climb that if it were guaranteed I'd get 10 million dollars and a helicopter ride home for reaching the top.
      "Since the historic ruling, the Lovings have become icons for equality. Mildred released a statement on the 40th anniversary of the ruling in 2007: 'I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, Black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.'." - Mildred Loving (Loving v. Virginia)

Comment

I have high standards. No way I would ever climb that, not even for a LOT of money.

A dare, yes.

But no amount of money would make me take that trail.
        "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
        -John Locke

"It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
        -Newman

Comment

I've done enough rock climbing in my day that the heights involved don't really bother me, nor does the narrow "plank trail." Once you get it through your head and past your adrenaline that anything over about 30' is going to be fatal anyway, the height stops mattering, so I've sat in a little makeshift webbing "seat" on the side of a cliff 1000' above the ground below and eaten a sandwich because the height didn't bother me but the view was quite nice.

What I would have a problem with, though, is meeting someone going the opposite direction, possibly very panicked, and trying to deal with getting around them without either of us taking a screamer.
          It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
          In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
          Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
          Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

I would love to do that. I absolutely could not, however. My last bit of trail that become rock climbing made me realize just how bad my fear of heights is. Not bad enough to make me not ever go on a mountain, but definitely bad enough that there is no way in hell I'd ever do that, much as I'd like to.
            Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
            Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

I thought high tea was a British thing.
              Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
                I thought high tea was a British thing.
                This is why I hate you.
                Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity's Dead Cat View Post
                  I've got some Indian tea which is fantastic. Comes in a big red box in most "import" food stores. Tossed the box long ago. Need a tea ball to make it go.
                  Loose tea really does make a good cup of tea, imo. There are all sorts of cup strainers that can make that happen for you and they're easier than using a tea ball. My favorite is a spoon that has a thumb press to open it..makes it easy to scoop your tea and get rid of it afterwards.
                  May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
                  Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
                  And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
                  may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

Originally posted by phillygirl View Post
                    This is why I hate you.
                    Originally posted by Michele View Post
                    Loose tea really does make a good cup of tea, imo. There are all sorts of cup strainers that can make that happen for you and they're easier than using a tea ball. My favorite is a spoon that has a thumb press to open it..makes it easy to scoop your tea and get rid of it afterwards.
                    A paper coffee filter on a french press works quite well also.

In a pinch, use a paper towel and a rubber band.
                    Last edited by scott; Sunday, January 12, 2014, 6:00 PM.
                    "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
                    -John Locke

-Newman

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
                      A paper coffee filter on a french press works quite well also.

In a pinch, use a paper towel and a rubber band.
                      But you weren't punny.
                      Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
                        Crazy people can always find an excuse to do crazy shit. I wouldn't climb that if it were guaranteed I'd get 10 million dollars and a helicopter ride home for reaching the top.
                        I hate heights but I would absolutely do this for 10 million bucks and a helicopter ride home. Now, I would hold out for a few cups of the fabled tea before the ride home.
                        "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

All joking aside, this climb is the best example of living the journey that's attainable for most folks. It's hard but not excruciating, risky but not randomly so, and the reward is quite small but exclusive. The danger vs. "I did it" factor isn't enough for me now but if I was 18 and saw these pictures I would have made a significant effort to do this climb.
                          -John Locke

-Newman

Comment

Just think about the poor bastard that had to install those planks there.
                            Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
                              All joking aside, this climb is the best example of living the journey that's attainable for most folks. It's hard but not excruciating, risky but not randomly so, and the reward is quite small but exclusive. The danger vs. "I did it" factor isn't enough for me now but if I was 18 and saw these pictures I would have made a significant effort to do this climb.
                              I fully admit I don't think I could do that now. I have developed a fear of falling. I would probably lock up out on those boards.
                              If it pays, it stays

Comment

Working...
                              X