Anyone on here with any passion about their own sport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frostbit
    But only once
    • Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Anyone on here with any passion about their own sport?

Seriously, I've been bashed for drinking the Crossfit cool aide and sounding like a cult member. Guilty as charged. Any of you folks have any physical passion left in you? Let's hear it.

Warning!! No response = endless Crossfit videos of incredible physical feats by people with bodies (like me) you wish you had.

Carry on children………..
    If it pays, it stays
  • Billy Jingo
    I shave with Occam's Razor

I'm a runner.
    “You had a jury that said that Donald Trump raped a woman. And that doesn't seem to be moving the needle. There's a lot of things about today's electorate that I have a hard time understanding.”

Senator Mitt Romney (R-UT)

Comment

• Hondo
      Memento Homo
      • Sunday, October 6, 2013

Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
      Seriously, I've been bashed for drinking the Crossfit cool aide and sounding like a cult member. Guilty as charged. Any of you folks have any physical passion left in you? Let's hear it.

Warning!! No response = endless Crossfit videos of incredible physical feats by people with bodies (like me) you wish you had.

Carry on children………..

Are you saying that we wish we had your body? Are you forgetting that we've seen photographs of you?

If by physical passion you mean do I still get out and play my sport, then the answer is no. I'm afraid rugby, even on an old boys team, is not something that I have any interest in playing anymore. I still follow my teams semi-religiously, but lacing up the boots and getting my head kicked in just isn't in the cards. The kind of injuries that are part and parcel of playing rugby could interfere with me being able to do my job, so it's not worth it no matter how much of a rush it might be.

Comment

• Hondo
        Memento Homo

Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post
        I'm a runner.

Somehow I knew that.

Comment

• Billy Jingo

Originally posted by Hondo View Post
          Somehow I knew that.
          I have mentioned a few times, I guess.
          “You had a jury that said that Donald Trump raped a woman. And that doesn't seem to be moving the needle. There's a lot of things about today's electorate that I have a hard time understanding.”

Comment

• Hondo
            Memento Homo

I have mentioned a few times, I guess.

I would know it even if you hadn't mentioned it. It suits your personality.

Comment

• Billy Jingo

Originally posted by Hondo View Post
              I would know it even if you hadn't mentioned it. It suits your personality.
              Some friends and I are seriously considering starting an old rules baseball league. 1880's rules. Something like that. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Comment

• Norm dePlume
                Err foil
                • Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Some friends and I are seriously considering starting an old rules baseball league. 1880's rules. Something like that. I think it would be a lot of fun.
                Tea-ball?
                Enjoy.

Comment

• Billy Jingo

Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
                  Tea-ball?
                  I keep telling you that this is why no one likes you.

Comment

• Norm dePlume
                    Err foil
                    • Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I'm trying to get Gold's Gym to install a few lanes of my patented uphill bowling.

The ball return is a little dangerous, but we're working on that.
                    Enjoy.

Comment

• Frostbit
                      But only once

I'm a runner.
                      Have you ever considered going Spartan?

Matt works out in our Box. He's got the genes. He's won Mt. Marathon. He's won Triathelons. He's a legend among mountain racers up here. He's a hell of a nice guy. He entered that Spartan race on a whim and got offered multiple sponsorships when he won leading the runner up by 5 full minutes.

He's a Crossfit Beast!!

"In late August, Novakovich went to a Super Spartan Race at Wintergreen Ski Resort in Virginia, urged on by a brother-in-law who thought he’d do well in competition. Guys with dude voices em-ceeing the event called it the toughest Spartan of its kind because of its 8,600 feet in elevation change and its ridiculous steepness in places. They spoke in awe of such well-known Spartan circuit racers like Hobie Call, the 36-year-old favorite who was expected to smash the competition.

And then 39-year-old Novakovich showed up and blew them all away.

By, like, 5 minutes.

Score 1, Alaska."
                      Last edited by Frostbit; Thursday, October 31, 2013, 4:15 PM.
                      If it pays, it stays

Comment

• Hondo
                        Memento Homo

Running is perfect for you. Solitary, arrogant and judgmental all at the same time. The only ones worse than the runner fucks are the Crossfit assholes.

I am working up a submission for the Olympic Committee for a variant of curling where the players are trapped on the ice surface and the rocks have blades on them. You can score points normally or by taking out opponents. We could change out the blades for sporks or something less lethal, I suppose, but I think the ratings would plummet...

Comment

• Gingersnap
                          Resident stylistic consultant
                          • Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I would never have that kind of drive to do something essentially non-essential. It just doesn't make any to me. It's fine for others, though.

My "sports" are Ashtanga yoga and XC skiing. I use the term loosely because I purely hate people who take pleasant, natural endeavors and turn them into competitive stuff. I see no purpose in 'power yoga' and head-tripping ski people are the worst bores on the planet. Nothing wrecks the moment quite like being trapped on a trail with skiers who are timing themselves and shouting locker room encouragement to their buddies.

But it can get even worse: zen skiers. Everything is important, everything has a ritual, everything is over-thought and under-expereinced.

*runs from the Bodhi Types*
                          "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

• Frostbit
                            But only once

So, how do you ski in a Lotus position?
                            If it pays, it stays

Comment

• Adam
                              The way to a woman's heart is through her taste buds.
                              • Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I wish I could still rock-climb. That's the only "sporty" thing I ever really got passionate about. Unfortunately, that's almost certainly never going to happen again.

Once I get the other hip done, though, I intend to get back into backpacking. I miss that a lot.
                              It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                              In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                              Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                              Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Working...
                              X