No announcement yet.

Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read
    By Sara Ganim, CNN
    updated 8:04 PM EST, Thu January 9, 2014

(CNN) -- The death threats, Mary Willingham expected.

More shocking is that the University of North Carolina is now disavowing her research as a whistle-blower -- research that showed between 8% and 10% of the school's football and basketball players are reading below a third-grade level.

UNC issued a statement Wednesday night saying it did not believe Willingham's account of a basketball player who could not read or write.

It went on: "University officials can't comment on the other statistical claims mentioned in the story because they have not seen that data. University officials have asked for that data, but those requests have not been met."

As well as questioning UNC many times about the story before publication, CNN has also detailed Willingham's research.

And purported e-mail exchanges obtained by CNN since August show that Willingham did share her findings at least twice -- once with Executive Vice Provost James W. Dean Jr., and once with a member of a university committee on academics and athletics.

In addition, Willingham says her research on the students in the athletics programs that make money for the university was done based on screenings that the university itself paid for. And, she says, she has gotten permission from the university several times since 2008 to access those findings to continue her research.

"It's already available to them," Willingham said. "It's in their system. ... They have all the data and more. It belongs to them, and they paid a lot of money for it."

Last year, when CNN asked UNC for comment on Willingham's research, officials initially denied knowing about it, and said: "Such analysis is not part of her job duties at the university."

Then, after being shown the e-mails, a spokesperson admitted that Willingham did share her findings and did have permission from the university to do the research in the first place, and said a meeting with Willingham was being scheduled.

Apart from Wednesday's statement, UNC has not responded to CNN's request for an explanation.

In the meantime, Willingham said she has heard from one branch of the university -- the Department of Public Safety.

Since CNN's report, Willingham said she's gotten four death threats, and more than 30 other alarming messages.

"Not people who disagree, people who put in the subject or body (of the e-mail) straight-up hate speech," she said.
    Much more - how shameful.

"Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Well, duh. How dare someone expose the fraud that is "college athletics?"
    "Since the historic ruling, the Lovings have become icons for equality. Mildred released a statement on the 40th anniversary of the ruling in 2007: 'I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, Black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.'." - Mildred Loving (Loving v. Virginia)

Comment

[B]etween 8% and 10% of the school's football and basketball players are reading below a third-grade level.
      After my freshman experience in college, I'd say that something closer to 20% of all college students are reading below a third-grade level. Because I was in a transfer-based program and I knew that if I CELPed out of basic English I would wind up having to take it again in my junior year or whatever, I went ahead and took the basis English 151 and 152 courses in my freshman year. I was frankly astonished at the lack of knowledge that these kids had that had not only gotten into college, but often had supposedly good GPAs in high school. I distinctly remember one girl who had something like a 3.92 in high school, graduated with honors (not magna cum laude, but honors nonetheless), had allegedly taken AP courses, and this girl literally did not know the difference between a subject and a predicate. I'm not even talking about relatively complicated concepts like participles and whatnot: just a basic division of a sentence between subject and predicate, and she hadn't the slightest clue. I had that drummed into me in the second grade, and she had managed to graduate high school without knowing this.

Astounding.
      It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
      In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
      Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
      Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

I have no way of knowing if they can read or write, but I haven't seen much in the way of language skills to suggest that they are educated. In fact, some of these guys need subtitles.
        The year's at the spring
        And day's at the morn;
        Morning's at seven;
        The hill-side's dew-pearled;
        The lark's on the wing;
        The snail's on the thorn:
        God's in his heaven—
        All's right with the world!

Comment

The Dumb is strong in a lot of college freshmen right now but it's the norm in "student athletes" who favor football, basketball, baseball, and some track and field stuff. Soccer seems to be getting dumber (girl's soccer anyway). I think gymnastics, ice skating, swimming, and collegiate table tennis teams are still recruiting average or above average students.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
            The Dumb is strong in a lot of college freshmen right now but it's the norm in "student athletes" who favor football, basketball, baseball, and some track and field stuff. Soccer seems to be getting dumber (girl's soccer anyway). I think gymnastics, ice skating, swimming, and collegiate table tennis teams are still recruiting average or above average students.
            Sorry about the like and dislike..just trying to scroll the screen on my tablet which can be a challenge sometimes.
            May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
            Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
            And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
            may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
              Sorry about the like and dislike..just trying to scroll the screen on my tablet which can be a challenge sometimes.
              LOL! I just figured you had a complicated response to my post. Lord knows, I sometimes have complicated responses to my own stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X