Ah damn. Gibbs' father died.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah damn. Gibbs' father died.

PALM DESERT — Ralph Waite, a Palm Desert resident known for his role as John Walton Sr. on the 1970s TV series “The Waltons” has died, Waite’s long-time friend Jerry Preece told The Desert Sun.

Waite, 85, died at his Palm Desert home Thursday at about 11 a.m.

[....]

Waite, who served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1946 to 1948, attended Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pa., on the GI Bill.

He earned his master's degree from Yale University Divinity School and became an ordained Presbyterian minister.

He later left the ministry and went into publishing with Harper & Row in New York City.

At 33, he sat in on an acting class.

"I said, 'Let me try a scene,' and I fell in love with it," Waite told The Desert Sun in 2010.

[....]

He continued performing in Broadway and off-Broadway plays while also landing parts in high-profile movies, including "Cool Hand Luke" and "Five Easy Pieces."

Waite's favorite stage role was "King Lear, by far," he said.

In 1971, he was called out to Hollywood to work on "The Waltons," an hourlong drama about a rural Virginia family struggling through the Great Depression.
    A full and interesting life. I'll definitely miss him on NCIS. I never was much of a fan of The Waltons, but I've enjoyed his other character-acting over the years as well, and he clearly loved his craft.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Good night, Daddy.
    The year's at the spring
    And day's at the morn;
    Morning's at seven;
    The hill-side's dew-pearled;
    The lark's on the wing;
    The snail's on the thorn:
    God's in his heaven—
    All's right with the world!

Comment

He was quite a character. There's a very undocumented history about his 2 year stint in the Corps. Let's just say that his was a gentleman but not always a nice guy.
      "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
      -John Locke

"It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
      -Newman

Comment

Working...
      X