Vocals Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vocals Only

I listened to a few of the "vocal only" songs on Youtube and this was definitely one of the better sounding ones. Ann Wilson, Freddie Mercury and Karen Carpenter have beautiful voices but some of the others...

“Happy Together” Is Better With Just the Vocals

“Happy Together,” written by Gary Bonner and Alan Gordon and recorded by The Turtles, is one of those songs you’ve probably heard so many times that you’ve stopped noticing how perfect a pop song it is. Or maybe it’s just me. In any case, this vocals-only version, uploaded by NetMusic.com a few months back and spotted yesterday by Richard Metzger of Dangerous Minds, highlights the simple elegance of the tune. The video is a delight, too (it’s a performance on the Ed Sullivan Show).

But just wait for those harmonies to kick in at about the 30-second mark. And enjoy.

May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
    Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
    And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
    may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

That's awesome, Michele. One of my all-time favorite songs.

Here's something a little different. One kid, doing all of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" a capella. He's French, so the lyrics sound a little funny, but it's still impressive.

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

Comment

My favorite vocal group, Pentatonix:

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
      I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
      I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
      I kill with my heart.”

Comment

Almost got me started on a retro groups thread.

The voices and harmony of the groups from the early 60's into the mid 70's was amazing.

Even a lot of the hard rock bands had great harmony.

Seems to be lost now.
        Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
        and lost …
        But the Republicans are racist.

Comment

Originally posted by daveman View Post
          That's awesome, Michele. One of my all-time favorite songs.

Here's something a little different. One kid, doing all of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" a capella. He's French, so the lyrics sound a little funny, but it's still impressive.

Clever!

Originally posted by daveman View Post
          My favorite vocal group, Pentatonix:

Oh my gosh..that was so cool! And they are having a lot of fun, too.
          May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
          Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
          may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramps View Post
            Almost got me started on a retro groups thread.

The voices and harmony of the groups from the early 60's into the mid 70's was amazing.

Even a lot of the hard rock bands had great harmony.

Seems to be lost now.
            I think you're right on that. Listen to Alanis Morissette..yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
              Clever!

Oh my gosh..that was so cool! And they are having a lot of fun, too.
              Yeah, you can really tell they love to sing. A lot of the stuff they cover is Top 40 pop, so I'm unfamiliar with it, but this one is amazing:

I aim with my eye.

I shoot with my mind.

I kill with my heart.”

Comment

Working...
              X