Songs covered in genres different from the original

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs covered in genres different from the original

Post songs that have been covered in genres other than the original (or most famous) genre.

For instance, I think Dolly Parton's country version of "Stairway to Heaven" is MUCH better than Zep's.

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

Mason Williams' acoustic guitar composition as recorded with analog synthesizers by Synergy:

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

"I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

Comment

Perhaps the ultimate example of downshifting-from-fifth-to-reverse genre changes, here's a bluegrass version of Metallica's "Unforgiven":

And the hell of it is -- it works.
      I aim with my eye.

I shoot with my mind.

I kill with my heart.”

Comment

Dolly Parton is not better than Led Zeppelin on that song..

She is better than Whitney Houston on this one though:

"Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

-John Locke

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
          Dolly Parton is not better than Led Zeppelin on that song..
          I've always thought Zep was overrated, myself.

She is better than Whitney Houston on this one though:

Oh, agreed. Dolly's really feelin' it there.
          I aim with my eye.

I shoot with my mind.

I kill with my heart.”

Comment

HAVE to include The The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain!

I aim with my eye.

I shoot with my mind.

I kill with my heart.”

Comment

My favorite rendition of "Carol of the Bells" with some "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."

"Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

-John Locke

Comment

Yngwie Malmsteen adding electric guitar to an orchestra doing various classical music pieces.

-John Locke

Comment

Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics:

Goth Metal Version done by Marilyn Manson:

-John Locke

Comment

Blue Monday by New Order:

Orgy's version, more techno with harder guitars:

-John Locke

Comment

The Russian Army Choir (and their Magnificently Huge Hats) performing Adele's "Skyfall":

I aim with my eye.

I shoot with my mind.

I kill with my heart.”

Comment

Another cover better than the original -- Israel Kamakawiwo'ole performing "Over the Rainbow":

I aim with my eye.

I shoot with my mind.

I kill with my heart.”

Comment

My favorite rendition of "Carol of the Bells" with some "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."

The first time I saw this video, my biggest little girl was about that age. I always teared up -- and still do, sometimes.

On edit -- like tonight. The little girl reminds me so much of mine at that age. And Friday, I'm taking her for her first college tour.
                          Last edited by daveman; Tuesday, November 12, 2013, 6:34 PM.
                          I aim with my eye.

I shoot with my mind.

I kill with my heart.”

Comment

Another metal version that's better than the original:

-John Locke

Comment

Originally posted by daveman View Post
                              The first time I saw this video, my biggest little girl was about that age. I always teared up -- and still do, sometimes.
                              My kids don't know of a Christmas season without Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Most of the band lives here so we have seen them multiple times. I know Paul O'Neill, and he loves walking around town and not being considered a "celebrity."

-John Locke

Comment

Working...
                              X