Philip Seymour Hoffman dead at 46

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Seymour Hoffman dead at 46

The actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York apartment on Sunday morning of an apparent drug overdose, according to a law enforcement official who requested anonymity because he was not certain the actor’s family had been informed of the death.

The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46, had been found in his West Village apartment around 11:30 a.m. by a friend who had become concerned at not being able to reach Mr. Hoffman.

A cause of death had not yet been determined, the official said, but it appeared to have been the result of an overdose.

A woman answering the phone at Mr. Hoffman’s New York production company declined to comment. “I don’t have a comment at this time on that, thank you,” she said.
    Man, what a shame. I really loved him in Charlie Wilson's War, and I have to say that he made one hell of a good bad guy in Mission Impossible III.

Way too young.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

I liked his performance as Lester Bangs in "Almost Famous" and thought he was good in the last "Hunger Games" installment.
    In the end however, he's just another dead stupid junkie.

Justin Bieber take note.
    We are so fucked.

Comment

Sad and tragic, but that's the life of a person who chooses to do as much drugs as he. I lost a bet I had with a buddy though, I predicted he'd be dead in 2010. Nice guy if you caught him in a good mood but he was very mean spirited. I was one of his "single serving friends" (boy did he love that line from Fight Club) a couple of times at Marie's Crisis in New York and while he was great to me, he was very dismissive and spoiled to those that didn't serve a utility. He liked to befriend "common people" (literally how he said it) because that's how he kept himself grounded. I told him that maybe he might want to actually get to know us commoners rather than just buying a few drinks and being the center of attention. To his credit, he laughed at that.

That guy had some major issues though, and his parents did him no favors by telling him how special he was all his life.
      "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
      -John Locke

"It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
      -Newman

Comment

Why couldn't it have been Justin Bieber instead?
        Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
          Everyone has to wait their turn, I guess.

Apparently, when he fell off the wagon, it was a pretty long trip down: fifty bags of heroin cut with fentanyl in his apartment.

Comment

Addiction is a tough thing to beat. It's a shame. Some just can never really keep in recovery.
            Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
            Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

OK, it's terribly insensitive, but I also can't really disagree with him, either:

Comment

He is still in the top 5 of the Dead Pool along with Miley, Charlie Sheen, Lindsey Lohan and a draft pick from Big Bang Theory to be named later.
                We are so fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by gary m View Post
                  He is still in the top 5 of the Dead Pool along with Miley, Charlie Sheen, Lindsey Lohan and a draft pick from Big Bang Theory to be named later.
                  Do those guys do drugs?
                  Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                    OK, it's terribly insensitive, but I also can't really disagree with him, either:

Maybe there needs to be more insensitivity when this stuff happens.
                    Heath Ledger, Amy Winehouse, Corey Monteith, Michael Jackson, John Belushi and so on and so on are always treated with the same "we have lost such a great talent, yada, yada, yada" when the plain and simple truth is that they are fucking morons.
                    Maybe if there were more LeVar Burton type posts and tweets the behavior might change, peer pressure and all that.
                    Besides, half of those posting the "I'm so sorry..." would have pushed him off a bridge to get the parts that he did.
                    We are so fucked.

Comment

Heath Ledger, Amy Winehouse, Corey Monteith, Michael Jackson, John Belushi and so on and so on are always treated with the same "we have lost such a great talent, yada, yada, yada" when the plain and simple truth is that they are fucking morons.
                      Maybe if there were more LeVar Burton type posts and tweets the behavior might change, peer pressure and all that.
                      Besides, half of those posting the "I'm so sorry..." would have pushed him off a bridge to get the parts that he did.
                      Have you ever had propynol? I have. I no longer judge. Jes sayin.
                      Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Excellent idea. If we just ridicule those people, they'll wise up and never die of a drug overdose again. I hear John Belushi hasn't touched the stuff since he died. I'm not sure about Amy.
                        Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by phillygirl View Post
                          Have you ever had propynol? I have. I no longer judge. Jes sayin.
                          Do you mean propofol, the stuff that Jackson died of along with Ativan and Valium? Not recreationally.
                          Did more than my share of coke in various forms and ways back in the 70's and early 80's. But then I grew up and took responsibility for my life. Also kicked a drinking problem and my only vice is that I smoke a half a pack a day.
                          I'd kick that too except that then I would truly be Bok's hero and we can't have that.
                          We are so fucked.

Comment

Excellent idea. If we just ridicule those people, they'll wise up and never die of a drug overdose again. I hear John Belushi hasn't touched the stuff since he died. I'm not sure about Amy.
                            Can't work any worse than keeping quiet. Those people did not die in a vacuum, friends and / or family knew what was going on.
                            Well, probably not his kids. Some day some of his actor friends can tell them how they knew their dad was a junkie but didn't have the heart or balls to do anything about it. I'm sure that will make them feel better.
                            We are so fucked.

Comment

Do you mean propofol, the stuff that Jackson died of along with Ativan and Valium? Not recreationally.
                              Did more than my share of coke in various forms and ways back in the 70's and early 80's. But then I grew up and took responsibility for my life. Also kicked a drinking problem and my only vice is that I smoke a half a pack a day.
                              I'd kick that too except that then I would truly be Bok's hero and we can't have that.
                              Yes, sorry, I meant propofol. I really need to get that med's name right. I now completely understand why Jax did it. As I said, I no longer judge on that one.
                              Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X