The Red Hot Milli Vanilli?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Red Hot Milli Vanilli?

The Red Hot Chili Peppers decided long ago they were never going to mime a live performance. The band made an exception for the NFL, it turns out.

The group's bassist, Flea, said in a letter to fans posted on the group's website Tuesday that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members pretended to play along to a pre-taped track of "Give It Away" during the Super Bowl halftime show as Anthony Kiedis sang live. The request came from NFL officials who felt it was too difficult to pull off a completely live performance because of potential sound issues.

The admission came after observers noted Flea and his bandmates weren't plugged in while performing Sunday at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Flea wrote on the band's website that the opportunity was too big for the lifelong football fans to turn down. After internal debate, dubiously checking with fellow musicians and consulting with headliner Bruno Mars, they decided it was "a surreal-like, once in a life time crazy thing to do and we would just have fun and do it."
    To be perfectly frank, I've never really been a RHCP fan. Their music just never tripped my trigger. But if I were, I think I might be pissed about this. Not really sure, though.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

wfc?
    The year's at the spring
    And day's at the morn;
    Morning's at seven;
    The hill-side's dew-pearled;
    The lark's on the wing;
    The snail's on the thorn:
    God's in his heaven—
    All's right with the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Novaheart View Post
      wfc?
      Their fans might. Then again they might not.
      It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
      In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
      Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
      Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

When they started, they were nowhere close to mainstream taste and I would not have believed they would ever be wanted for a Superbowl halftime show. Mainstream taste has come a long way.

I think most Peppers fans have grown out of the "You're a sellout, man" stage. Not all of 'em, though. But then, just being in the Superbowl show is sellout enough.
        Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
          When they started, they were nowhere close to mainstream taste and I would not have believed they would ever be wanted for a Superbowl halftime show. Mainstream taste has come a long way.

I think most Peppers fans have grown out of the "You're a sellout, man" stage. Not all of 'em, though. But then, just being in the Superbowl show is sellout enough.

Whatever, man. You won't catch The Replacements doing some bullshit Stupor Bowl halfwit show.
          Colonel Vogel : What does the diary tell you that it doesn't tell us?

Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post
            Whatever, man. You won't catch The Replacements doing some bullshit Stupor Bowl halfwit show.
            Yep. Or... any show at all, really.
            Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
            X