Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dubai

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dubai

    Thinking of flying Emirates in March 2015 on the way to Africa. Anyone with first hand knowledge or hearsay concerning Dubai. Thinking a spending a few days layover for sightseeing.
    If it pays, it stays

  • #2
    Not cheap, but fantastic beaches, great shopping (if you or Joyce are so inclined), lots of very pretty places and very pretty people. One could very readily argue that the UAE is the most "Western-friendly" nation in the Middle East, perhaps with the exception of Israel.

    As an airline, Emirates is tip-top. An experience you will never forget, for sure. Who else has a granite-lined steam-shower on an A-380? And the Dubai airport is a work of art unto itself.

    You may also want to consider Etihad, based out of Abu Dhabi. Close to Emirates in quality, and often surprisingly affordable fares for the luxury involved. They offer a free shuttle to Dubai from Abu Dhabi, as well (it's only about an hour away). Abu Dhabi is in and of itself a fairly wondrous place, but without so much of the glitz and glam of Dubai.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Adam View Post
      Not cheap, but fantastic beaches, great shopping (if you or Joyce are so inclined), lots of very pretty places and very pretty people. One could very readily argue that the UAE is the most "Western-friendly" nation in the Middle East, perhaps with the exception of Israel.

      As an airline, Emirates is tip-top. An experience you will never forget, for sure. Who else has a granite-lined steam-shower on an A-380? And the Dubai airport is a work of art unto itself.

      You may also want to consider Etihad, based out of Abu Dhabi. Close to Emirates in quality, and often surprisingly affordable fares for the luxury involved. They offer a free shuttle to Dubai from Abu Dhabi, as well (it's only about an hour away). Abu Dhabi is in and of itself a fairly wondrous place, but without so much of the glitz and glam of Dubai.
      Cool, Thanks for the free info Adam. Emirates is an Alaskan Air partner so we can use miles with them and they don't hammer you with the fuel surcharge BA does for mileage tickets.

      I was looking at hotels and costs and such in Dubai online and it seems there are some affordable ones and you don't have to stay in a 5 digit suite in an all glass spinning building.

      Any "bad neighborhoods" you know of to avoid?
      If it pays, it stays

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
        Cool, Thanks for the free info Adam. Emirates is an Alaskan Air partner so we can use miles with them and they don't hammer you with the fuel surcharge BA does for mileage tickets.

        I was looking at hotels and costs and such in Dubai online and it seems there are some affordable ones and you don't have to stay in a 5 digit suite in an all glass spinning building.

        Any "bad neighborhoods" you know of to avoid?
        I don't know Dubai that well. Memphis, Chicago, New York, L.A., London, Paris, etc. I know well enough for that, but I'm afraid not Dubai.

        You're generally going to be safe with anything in a central business district, and I would say you'll be fine with anything on a beach there, even relatively inexpensive places, so long as they have the basics: en-suite bathroom, air conditioning, etc.

        The UAE is (unsurprisingly) a very car-friendly country, so it may be worth getting a rental car, depending upon what you want to do. If you just want umbrella-drinks on the beach, then just get what you like and stay there. If you want to go out exploring a bit, get a car and find a nice place where ever you want. If you just don't want to futz around with a rental car, then just pick a central location that you like and plan on taking cabs, which aren't out of line in cost with cabs in any other major city.
        It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
        In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
        Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
        Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
          Cool, Thanks for the free info Adam. Emirates is an Alaskan Air partner so we can use miles with them and they don't hammer you with the fuel surcharge BA does for mileage tickets.

          I was looking at hotels and costs and such in Dubai online and it seems there are some affordable ones and you don't have to stay in a 5 digit suite in an all glass spinning building.

          Any "bad neighborhoods" you know of to avoid?
          I'll ask my friend. She frequently went there for R&R when she was in Afghanistan (as well as emergency dental work and some medical care). She hates the place generally because of their society, but said the hotel suites were to die for.
          Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
          Robert Southwell, S.J.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by phillygirl View Post
            I'll ask my friend. She frequently went there for R&R when she was in Afghanistan (as well as emergency dental work and some medical care). She hates the place generally because of their society, but said the hotel suites were to die for.
            Ask her where she would stay as far as location in the city to be able to do some touristy stuff. You can give her my number if you want.
            If it pays, it stays

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
              Ask her where she would stay as far as location in the city to be able to do some touristy stuff. You can give her my number if you want.
              Will do. How long are you going to be there? I know there's a cool indoor ski resort.
              Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
              Robert Southwell, S.J.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by phillygirl View Post
                Will do. How long are you going to be there? I know there's a cool indoor ski resort.
                Baby, I will be retired by then. What is "how long"?

                We figured maybe three days but I'm just starting to research what/when/how/where. I'll let the research dictate the time frame. We are using mileage tickets but can extend one of the stops pretty much as long as we like I believe. Thing is, I'm not sure if we want to do the Dubai layover on the way over to hunt or the way back.
                If it pays, it stays

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
                  Baby, I will be retired by then. What is "how long"?

                  We figured maybe three days but I'm just starting to research what/when/how/where. I'll let the research dictate the time frame. We are using mileage tickets but can extend one of the stops pretty much as long as we like I believe. Thing is, I'm not sure if we want to do the Dubai layover on the way over to hunt or the way back.
                  I would suggest you do it on the way back. It's the kind of place you would want to get pampered and unwind...nice for the after trip cool down.
                  Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
                  Robert Southwell, S.J.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
                    Baby, I will be retired by then. What is "how long"?

                    We figured maybe three days but I'm just starting to research what/when/how/where. I'll let the research dictate the time frame. We are using mileage tickets but can extend one of the stops pretty much as long as we like I believe. Thing is, I'm not sure if we want to do the Dubai layover on the way over to hunt or the way back.
                    Chances are that you'll be better served doing the stopover on the return, from a scheduling standpoint. You'll be going east to get west, which usually is a scheduling issue, and almost always an issue for your body clock. It's like going from Anchorage to Tokyo via Chicago: it works, but your circadian rhythms are just shot to shit in the process. If you're going to have a crappy layover anyway (common with this type of schedule), then you may as well just hang out and enjoy it for a few days.

                    The trick is that you have to figure out the logistics of your guns in the meantime. Of course, the same thing applies in either direction for you W/R/T gun logistics, but my knee-jerk would be to say take that issue on the back end, after you've had your hunt; obviously, if you have that issue on the front end, you won't have a hunt at all.

                    Broadly-speaking, I would suggest that you want the "quiet, relaxing" part of the trip on the back end. and all of that.
                    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dubai is simply amazing. It has changed a great deal since I was there 20 years ago but the main difference is that it's growth swallowed up the nearby desert villages. Lots of people rave about the beaches but I was unimpressed - perhaps I'm spoiled though. It's an Arab country so it's not exactly South Beach or the French Riviera .

                      Unless you're looking for something specific I'd recommend Fairmont at The Palm. It's simply stunning, and you can never go wrong staying at a Fairmont. Ask some of the hotel staff for the location of their hidden bar. Every Fairmont has one, it's usually tucked away in a corner somewhere.



                      I would not rent a car, parking is a BITCH and you will get lost. Due to the continuous construction, the map keeps changing as well as certain roads being closed without clear detour signs. Take cabs when you want to go somewhere or have the hotel concierge find you a driver for the day. The only "rough" areas are those in construction zones, near the port, or way out near the migrant worker housing. Just use your common sense and you'll be fine.

                      This is a good site to browse things to do in Dubai.



                      You must visit the Dubai Mall. It is amazing, and it has an excellent mix of world cultures. You'll see people from just about every country. It's huge, so wear good shoes.
                      "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
                      -John Locke

                      "It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
                      -Newman

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by scott View Post
                        Dubai is simply amazing. It has changed a great deal since I was there 20 years ago but the main difference is that it's growth swallowed up the nearby desert villages. Lots of people rave about the beaches but I was unimpressed - perhaps I'm spoiled though. It's an Arab country so it's not exactly South Beach or the French Riviera .

                        Unless you're looking for something specific I'd recommend Fairmont at The Palm. It's simply stunning, and you can never go wrong staying at a Fairmont. Ask some of the hotel staff for the location of their hidden bar. Every Fairmont has one, it's usually tucked away in a corner somewhere.



                        I would not rent a car, parking is a BITCH and you will get lost. Due to the continuous construction, the map keeps changing as well as certain roads being closed without clear detour signs. Take cabs when you want to go somewhere or have the hotel concierge find you a driver for the day. The only "rough" areas are those in construction zones, near the port, or way out near the migrant worker housing. Just use your common sense and you'll be fine.

                        This is a good site to browse things to do in Dubai.



                        You must visit the Dubai Mall. It is amazing, and it has an excellent mix of world cultures. You'll see people from just about every country. It's huge, so wear good shoes.
                        Appreciate the "boots on the ground report" my friend.
                        If it pays, it stays

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by phillygirl View Post
                          I'll ask my friend. She frequently went there for R&R when she was in Afghanistan (as well as emergency dental work and some medical care). She hates the place generally because of their society, but said the hotel suites were to die for.
                          Reminder!!
                          If it pays, it stays

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            OK, Flight over is booked. We are doing the stopover in Dubai for five nights on the way over. Two reasons....the mileage tickets worked out and we got a very interesting invite.

                            The "owner" of the main hunting forum I hang out on is a relative of the Al Maktoum clan, the ruling family and invited Joyce and I for a visit. Tough to turn down since he has a 100 meter indoor buried shooting range in his "home". A gracious offer nonetheless. March was better for him thus the stopover on the way to Harare.
                            If it pays, it stays

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
                              Reminder!!
                              Will do. Sorry...haven't seen her in a bit.
                              Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
                              Robert Southwell, S.J.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X