The Ex-Pat Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ex-Pat Game

Imagine as of right now you are retired with a nestegg that would provide the equivalent of your present salary. You've decided for whatever reason you are leaving the US.

What location are you heading to and why there?

Begin .......................
    If it pays, it stays

Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
    Imagine as of right now you are retired with a nestegg that would provide the equivalent of your present salary. You've decided for whatever reason you are leaving the US.

What location are you heading to and why there?

Begin .......................
    I can't really think of anywhere I'd want to live permanently outside the US. I like the south of France, and a couple of places in Canada, but I don't really want to move there.
    "Since the historic ruling, the Lovings have become icons for equality. Mildred released a statement on the 40th anniversary of the ruling in 2007: 'I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, Black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.'." - Mildred Loving (Loving v. Virginia)

Comment

I would give Cuenca, Ecuador a 5-6 month test drive. Haven't been to Portugal yet.
      If it pays, it stays

Comment

Sayulita, Mexico is a very nice area with quite a few expats.
        "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
        -John Locke

"It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
        -Newman

Comment

Lol. As an agoraphobic, I have a hard time leaving town. It simply never occurred to me to move, nor have I even considered it as an adult. But when I was a kid, I wanted to be a mountain man. I was thinking northern Idaho. Maybe not the right place, but as a kid I thought it was.

As for leaving the US. Wow. Never considered it.

Mark
          Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
            Sayulita, Mexico is a very nice area with quite a few expats.
            Some major cartel issues in Puerto Vallarta I've read. Sayulita isn't that far away. Mexico was once on our radar but has mostly removed itself.
            If it pays, it stays

Comment

Some major cartel issues in Puerto Vallarta I've read. Sayulita isn't that far away. Mexico was once on our radar but has mostly removed itself.
              IN Puerto Vallarta, yes. Not in the foothills around it and not in Sayulita - it's a small surfing town. Really nice with great people.
              "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
              -John Locke

"It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
              -Newman

Comment

I suppose Sweden or Norway since I lived there before, am fluent, and know all the quirks (and there are some.)

If I had millions I'd live in Monaco. It's beautiful, temperate, and there are no end of things to do (if you have money).

Otherwise, Wyoming. In a nice log cabin in the Medicine Bow. With large, vicious dogs. But that's just me.
                "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

If money didn't matter, or if I had a much higher salary, then I would live somewhere in central Prague, ideally walking distance from the Charles Bridge. Or, perhaps in Brno. Kraków or somewhere similar in Poland would also be a close contender.

If it's a case of "live like a king on a relative pittance no matter what the place looks like," then Kyrgyzstan would be the winner for me. Kyrgyzstan is a pit, visually: it's basically a gigantic Soviet version of a western Texas oil patch, with the perpetual smell of petroleum in the air (and the buckwheat), and the everlasting beauty of rusted-out oil wells as far as the eye can see. Bishkek is damned near impossible to get to from anything vaguely resembling civilization. But they actually have halfway decent restaurants and such, nice housing (Western-quality) is cheap, and the cost of living in general is laughably low. Relatively safe from a crime standpoint, unlikely to be anyone's terrorist target in the immediately-foreseeable future, and relatively independent living when compared to a lot of the former Soviet cesspools around the world. Venezuela is cheaper, and doubtless has better beaches than a landlocked central Asian country, but I would prefer not to get eaten.
                  It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                  In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                  Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                  Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

What country is Prague in these days?
                    "Since the historic ruling, the Lovings have become icons for equality. Mildred released a statement on the 40th anniversary of the ruling in 2007: 'I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, Black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.'." - Mildred Loving (Loving v. Virginia)

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
                      What country is Prague in these days?
                      The Czech Republic unless they moved it again while I wasn't looking.
                      It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                      In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                      Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                      Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                        The Czech Republic unless they moved it again while I wasn't looking.
                        Between Eastern Europe and Africa, everything I learned in 9th grade World Geography is useless.

Comment

Resurrecting the thread!!

We have friends that are a retired couple around our age, he being slightly older, her slightly younger. Fun folks with a home in Vegas. They have applied for a D7 Visa for Portugal and are there presently and loving it. They have a two bedroom villa (a little spartan but comfortable) for $1,200 euro per month. Fresh fish dinner eating out runs about 12 euros. Local groceries are more expensive than here but local fresh and organic.

People are friendly, english is spoken most places and expat Brits abound. Pace is very laid back.
                          If it pays, it stays

Comment

We have friends that are a retired couple around our age, he being slightly older, her slightly younger. Fun folks with a home in Vegas. They have applied for a D7 Visa for Portugal and are there presently and loving it. They have a two bedroom villa (a little spartan but comfortable) for $1,200 euro per month. Fresh fish dinner eating out runs about 12 euros. Local groceries are more expensive than here but local fresh and organic.

People are friendly, english is spoken most places and expat Brits abound. Pace is very laid back.
                            Whenever I think of Portugal I think of Gymkata.
                            The year's at the spring
                            And day's at the morn;
                            Morning's at seven;
                            The hill-side's dew-pearled;
                            The lark's on the wing;
                            The snail's on the thorn:
                            God's in his heaven—
                            All's right with the world!

Comment

Is there anywhere in Portugal that stays between 50 and 70 degrees F year-round? Because it sounds like we could live on our Social Security there.

Comment

Working...
                              X