• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newman View Post

I open my local Hate Trump newspaper to a full page ad this morning:
    $22 in 2022
    We've increased our U.S. minimum hourly
    wage to $22 on the way to $25 by 2025

followed by a brief survey of recent hikes "critical to attracting and retaining the best talent," over a yearbook-type picture of the local (Sarasota-Manatee area) Bank of America President Mike McCoy, who signs his first name only, and finishes with the question, "What would you like the power to do?"

Well, I expect to be alive in 2025, and I'd like the power to afford a bowl of oatmeal occasionally. We'll see.

The local area, Sarasota-Manatee counties metropolitcan area of Florida, is full of retirees like myself. I'd like to see Mike's full page ad to them.
    When the carpenters contract comes up, I hear that we will be asking for 8 to 10 dollars per hour more.

Used to be if we got a buck an hour more, we were satisfied. Those days are over.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post

Well, I expect to be alive in 2025, and I'd like the power to afford a bowl of oatmeal occasionally. We'll see.

Well now, did you expect to get that with cream AND sugar............

Comment

Originally posted by 80zephyr View Post

When the carpenters contract comes up, I hear that we will be asking for 8 to 10 dollars per hour more.

Used to be if we got a buck an hour more, we were satisfied. Those days are over.

Mark
        If it pays, it stays

Comment

Originally posted by 80zephyr View Post

Mark
          There's the problem: it's an ever-accelerating beast. Next up will be a $20/hour raise, then a $50/hour raise, "just to keep up with the times." Before long, carpenters are making a million dollars a year but still somehow living paycheck-to-paycheck because ground beef is $8000/pound.

I said a while back that your grocery prices are not coming down any time soon, if ever, and I meant it. The price of gas may come down, but the price of eggs and milk and meat will stay high because there are just that many dollars in circulation. And it doesn't really matter who is in what office at the time. Inflation is like a bomb going off: lots of damage very quickly, and a long recovery to try to put it back together again. Realistically, the only way to bring down inflation is to buy back all of those bonds issued (equaling dollars in circulation), and people will be loath to do that at less than a premium.
          It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
          In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
          Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
          Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
            Its part of the plan. We cannot afford to pay our debt so we inflate our way out of it.

Mark
            Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
              There's the problem: it's an ever-accelerating beast. Next up will be a $20/hour raise, then a $50/hour raise, "just to keep up with the times." Before long, carpenters are making a million dollars a year but still somehow living paycheck-to-paycheck because ground beef is $8000/pound.

I said a while back that your grocery prices are not coming down any time soon, if ever, and I meant it. The price of gas may come down, but the price of eggs and milk and meat will stay high because there are just that many dollars in circulation. And it doesn't really matter who is in what office at the time. Inflation is like a bomb going off: lots of damage very quickly, and a long recovery to try to put it back together again. Realistically, the only way to bring down inflation is to buy back all of those bonds issued (equaling dollars in circulation), and people will be loath to do that at less than a premium.
              Sure its the problem. But how do you stop it? If the carpenters don't try to get the money, they lose buying power. Everybody wants their share. Greed runs the world.

Mark

Comment

Not much you can do, at least in the short term. No point in trying to disarm a bomb after it's already gone off, and this one has gone off in spectacular fashion.

About the only thing that can be done now is try to staunch the bleeding, which means voting out every spendthrift Democrat and every spendthrift Republican possible.
                It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Working...
                X