Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heh. Food for thought.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Heh. Food for thought.

    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

  • #2
    Originally posted by Adam View Post


    I see little difference in the stock market and the lottery except the levels of risk.
    Colonel Vogel : What does the diary tell you that it doesn't tell us?

    Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post
      I see little difference in the stock market and the lottery except the levels of risk.
      Telling, since your view on economics boils down to ideological bias rooted in ignorance.
      Last edited by scott; Thursday, December 19, 2013, 1:27 PM.
      "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
      -John Locke

      "It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
      -Newman

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post
        I see little difference in the stock market and the lottery except the levels of risk.
        Of that I have no doubt.
        Science that cannot be questioned is propaganda.

        Cameras in classrooms now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post
          I see little difference in the stock market and the lottery except the levels of risk.
          Interesting comment. Since there is no information that will help you win the lottery and it is based completely on chance, the levels of risk are very high and the potential returns are very low. Stocks on the other hand are not random and there is plenty of info available for all on a registered exchange. Investing in mutual funds has very low risk due to diversification. All you need is a government interested in letting the private sector grow, or failing that, have the markets in the EU, Japan, and China teeter on the edge of implosion.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Curiosity's Dead Cat View Post
            Interesting comment. Since there is no information that will help you win the lottery and it is based completely on chance, the levels of risk are very high and the potential returns are very low. Stocks on the other hand are not random and there is plenty of info available for all on a registered exchange. Investing in mutual funds has very low risk due to diversification. All you need is a government interested in letting the private sector grow, or failing that, have the markets in the EU, Japan, and China teeter on the edge of implosion.
            So it's more like the horse track, then?
            Enjoy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
              So it's more like the horse track, then?
              No, it's more like a stock market, where people get to make informed decisions about their investments.
              It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
              In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
              Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
              Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Adam View Post
                No, it's more like a stock market, where people get to make informed decisions about their investments.
                People betting at the track can be well-informed. That's why they publish the racing form.
                Enjoy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
                  So it's more like the horse track, then?
                  Only if you own part of many horses in the race and even last place has the potential to pay.
                  "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
                  -John Locke

                  "It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
                  -Newman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by scott View Post
                    Only if you own part of many horses in the race and even last place has the potential to pay.
                    Derivatives are bets, straight up. If I short a stock and you go long on the same stock for the same time frame, one of us will lose.
                    Enjoy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You're right, Norm. We should just abolish the stock market. It's nothing but a roulette wheel and for every winner there is a loser, because it's a zero-sum game. No longer should people be able to invest in companies that they think have solid potential for growth. We need to get rid of all of those investments by teachers' pensions and the like, too. Get rid of everyone's 401(k), because they're just gambling and every time someone "wins" with their 401(k), it means that a blind Jewish Black woman in a wheelchair loses everything she ever earned.



                      Or maybe, just maybe, there's actually more to this than Bok's and your ludicrous over-simplification. That would certainly explain why the overwhelming majority of investors in the last hundred years or so have come out very well in the long run.
                      It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                      In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                      Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                      Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
                        Derivatives are bets, straight up. If I short a stock and you go long on the same stock for the same time frame, one of us will lose.
                        So are you saying that the derivatives market is the same as the stock market?

                        And are you confusing the word "market" with the actual "stock market?"
                        "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
                        -John Locke

                        "It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
                        -Newman

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
                          People betting at the track can be well-informed. That's why they publish the racing form.
                          Having been around owners of pacers, trotters and thoroughbreds, I can tell you that except for some of the more important races, 90% of them are decided in the paddock before the horses ever make it to the gate. The racing form is just a way for the publishers to make a few bucks and keep the bettors guessing.
                          We are so fucked.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by scott View Post
                            So are you saying that the derivatives market is the same as the stock market?

                            And are you confusing the word "market" with the actual "stock market?"
                            Derivatives are part of the stock market. But there are also derivatives in commodities markets and credit markets.
                            Enjoy.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gary m View Post
                              Having been around owners of pacers, trotters and thoroughbreds, I can tell you that except for some of the more important races, 90% of them are decided in the paddock before the horses ever make it to the gate. The racing form is just a way for the publishers to make a few bucks and keep the bettors guessing.
                              Inside information also plays a part in the stock market.
                              Enjoy.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X