X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are no Japanese/Japanese-Americans in the Florida prison system

there are 94,936 males in Florida prisons
    there are 46,984 black males in Florida prisons… all of whom are negroid
    there are 43,913 "white" males in Florida prisons… significant numbers of which would be classified as "person of color" by the liberal press
    there are 3,648 Hispanic males in Florida prisons presumably exclusive of the Hispanic males who identify as "white"

there are 12, count them 12 East Asians in the Florida prison system… none of whom are ethnically Japanese.

Discuss...
    The year's at the spring
    And day's at the morn;
    Morning's at seven;
    The hill-side's dew-pearled;
    The lark's on the wing;
    The snail's on the thorn:
    God's in his heaven—
    All's right with the world!

Originally posted by Novaheart View Post
    there are 94,936 males in Florida prisons
    there are 46,984 black males in Florida prisons… all of whom are negroid
    there are 43,913 "white" males in Florida prisons… significant numbers of which would be classified as "person of color" by the liberal press
    there are 3,648 Hispanic males in Florida prisons presumably exclusive of the Hispanic males who identify as "white"

there are 12, count them 12 East Asians in the Florida prison system… none of whom are ethnically Japanese.

Discuss...
    What's your source? Is it accurate? There's no way that there are *no* Japanese people in prison. There has to be somebody. If not, then we need to learn their secret about not getting caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanie View Post
      What's your source?
      Florida Dept Of Corrections

Is it accurate?
      Presumably

There has to be somebody. If not, then we need to learn their secret about not getting caught.

Click Number
      for Details Name DC
      Number Race Sex Release
      Date Current
      Facility Birth
      Date
      *1 CHAN, ROBERT H37958 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 01/16/2015 HAMILTON C.I. 10/22/1971
      *2 CHANG, YAT W 412588 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 06/18/2026 CHARLOTTE C.I. 09/14/1966
      *3 CHANTARAK, DON T55288 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 06/23/2021 BLACKWATER C.F. 01/10/1987
      *4 KIM, JUNG S J00961 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE SENTENCED TO LIFE UNION C.I. 01/14/1976
      *5 KWONG, ALEX W Q24059 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 08/02/2014 NWFRC MAIN UNIT. 05/03/1991
      *6 LIN, CHUNPING T80587 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 01/30/2051 GULF C.I. 04/04/1966
      *7 LIOY, CHATSIAM A 099388 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE SENTENCED TO LIFE TAYLOR ANNEX 11/14/1967
      *8 LIU, LEI G22017 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 09/08/2014 WALTON C.I. 10/09/1984
      *9 NGUYEN, THUONG V T37192 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 01/06/2018 BLACKWATER C.F. 05/26/1983
      *10 RHINE, MATTHEW R63419 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 09/29/2014 LAKE C.I. 10/07/1989
      *11 TRUONG, TAM H P00414 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE SENTENCED TO LIFE HAMILTON ANNEX 04/18/1976
      *12 WHEELER, BRANDON L X21706 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 02/16/2018 CFRC-EAST 11/20/1978
      The year's at the spring
      And day's at the morn;
      Morning's at seven;
      The lark's on the wing;
      God's in his heaven—

Comment

At first blush, that's not really surprising to me. I would think that ethnic Japanese represent a tiny portion of the Florida population, just based upon my own observation.
        It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
        In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
        Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
        Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
          At first blush, that's not really surprising to me. I would think that ethnic Japanese represent a tiny portion of the Florida population, just based upon my own observation.
          I don't exactly trip over ethnic Japanese people here. But as you can see from the surnames, we have Vietnamese, Cambodian, Korean, Chinese, and Thai. "Brandon Wheeler" appears to be some sort of islander, presumably of mixed ancestry or adopted.

There are 11 people named Patel incarcerated, 9 of whom are ethnically Indian, most of which are listed as White (I was always taught that Indians are caucasian) and the remainder as Other.

There are 11 people with my surname in the California DOC population.

Searching for the ten most common Japanese surnames in the CDOC population.

There are no people named Sato. Suzuki, Takahashi, Ito
          There are 2 people named Tanaka in CDOC.
          There are 2 people named Watanabe in CDOC.
          There is 1 person named Yamamoto in CDOC.
          There are 2 people named Nakamura in CDOC.
          There are 2 people named Kobayashi in CDOC (amusingly one of them is Jose Humberto Kobayashi)
          There is 1 person named Kato in CDOC (who doesn't appear to be Japanese)
          The year's at the spring
          And day's at the morn;
          Morning's at seven;
          The lark's on the wing;
          God's in his heaven—

Comment

There are zero with mine.

I win!
            Colonel Vogel : What does the diary tell you that it doesn't tell us?

Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post
              There are zero with mine.

I win!
              Most Eastern European communists change their surname to something local.
              The year's at the spring
              And day's at the morn;
              Morning's at seven;
              The lark's on the wing;
              God's in his heaven—

Comment

Most Eastern European communists change their surname to something local.

Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

Comment

I no more hate you than I do a mosquito. Both of you are pests, but presumably have some vital role in the greater scheme of things.
                  The year's at the spring
                  And day's at the morn;
                  Morning's at seven;
                  The lark's on the wing;
                  God's in his heaven—

Comment

This is a map of your ethnic distribution? From what site?
                    The year's at the spring
                    And day's at the morn;
                    Morning's at seven;
                    The lark's on the wing;
                    God's in his heaven—

Comment

I no more hate you than I do a mosquito. Both of you are pests, but presumably have some vital role in the greater scheme of things.
                      Cogito ergo es

Comment

This is a map of your ethnic distribution? From what site?
                        No. I have no ethnicity. It is a map of redheads in Europe. And I have no idea.

Comment

I don't exactly trip over ethnic Japanese people here. But as you can see from the surnames, we have Vietnamese, Cambodian, Korean, Chinese, and Thai.
                          Well, OK, but so what? All that shows is that Florida is attractive to those people for whom it looks and feels a lot like home. If I've lived half my life as a shrimp fisherman in Cambodia and through whatever means I migrate to the United States, I'm a whole lot more likely to find work that I know somewhere along the Gulf of Mexico than I am in North Dakota. This is hardly something new; I learned about this stuff in the second grade. In other breaking news: lots of people in Wisconsin have German heritage and a lot people in Minnesota have Nordic roots.

Once upon a time, Nashville had the largest Somali refugee population in the world; indeed, there were more native Somalis in Nashville than anywhere else in the entire world outside of Somalia, at least by any official count, in the late '90s. What does that statistic show? Well, not much, other than that Nashville was somewhere particularly willing to take in Somali refugees.

There are 11 people named Patel incarcerated, 9 of whom are ethnically Indian, most of which are listed as White (I was always taught that Indians are caucasian) and the remainder as Other.
                          Depends upon who is doing the defining. If you say "Asian" to most Americans, they think China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, etc. If you say "Asian" to a Brit, they think Indian, Pakistani, Afghan, Kazakh, etc. The Brits are technically correct, in that those countries are on the continent of Asia, but anthropologically, the natives there share far more in common with Caucasians (literally, in this case) and Middle-Easterners.

That must make Thanksgiving a bit awkward.

Searching for the ten most common Japanese surnames in the CDOC population.

There are no people named Sato. Suzuki, Takahashi, Ito
                          There are 2 people named Tanaka in CDOC.
                          There are 2 people named Watanabe in CDOC.
                          There is 1 person named Yamamoto in CDOC.
                          There are 2 people named Nakamura in CDOC.
                          There are 2 people named Kobayashi in CDOC (amusingly one of them is Jose Humberto Kobayashi)
                          There is 1 person named Kato in CDOC (who doesn't appear to be Japanese)
                          Well, given the decades of inter-breeding that has gone on on the west coast (and the US west in general), I don't think that you can necessarily count much on a last name being a straight-line derivative towards someone's ethnicity.

Since you seem to have a source to this data, I am curious what the Hawaiian prison population looks like. Hawaii doubtless has the highest component of ethnic Japanese living there, so that might well be a far more interesting statistic.
                          It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                          In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                          Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                          Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

There aren't a really huge number of 4 Japanese grandparents "Japanese" in the U.S. to begin with so fewer would be represented in the prison population. In Hawaii, a lot of Japanese surname people are really mutts (just like "English" surname people are).

Beyond that, there's no "Asian culture" so immigrant groups all behave differently; if you add in the difference between people 100 years ago and people who just got to our moral wasteland from their own contemporary moral wasteland, the differences can really add up.
                            "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

Florida Dept Of Corrections

Presumably

Click Number
                              for Details Name DC
                              Number Race Sex Release
                              Date Current
                              Facility Birth
                              Date
                              *1 CHAN, ROBERT H37958 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 01/16/2015 HAMILTON C.I. 10/22/1971
                              *2 CHANG, YAT W 412588 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 06/18/2026 CHARLOTTE C.I. 09/14/1966
                              *3 CHANTARAK, DON T55288 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 06/23/2021 BLACKWATER C.F. 01/10/1987
                              *4 KIM, JUNG S J00961 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE SENTENCED TO LIFE UNION C.I. 01/14/1976
                              *5 KWONG, ALEX W Q24059 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 08/02/2014 NWFRC MAIN UNIT. 05/03/1991
                              *6 LIN, CHUNPING T80587 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 01/30/2051 GULF C.I. 04/04/1966
                              *7 LIOY, CHATSIAM A 099388 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE SENTENCED TO LIFE TAYLOR ANNEX 11/14/1967
                              *8 LIU, LEI G22017 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 09/08/2014 WALTON C.I. 10/09/1984
                              *9 NGUYEN, THUONG V T37192 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 01/06/2018 BLACKWATER C.F. 05/26/1983
                              *10 RHINE, MATTHEW R63419 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 09/29/2014 LAKE C.I. 10/07/1989
                              *11 TRUONG, TAM H P00414 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE SENTENCED TO LIFE HAMILTON ANNEX 04/18/1976
                              *12 WHEELER, BRANDON L X21706 ASIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER MALE 02/16/2018 CFRC-EAST 11/20/1978
                              I see Chinese, Cambodian, Korean and Vietnamese names there for sure, but no Japanese surnames. ETA: Oops, missed the Thai.
                              Last edited by Celeste Chalfonte; Monday, February 24, 2014, 8:52 PM.
                              "Since the historic ruling, the Lovings have become icons for equality. Mildred released a statement on the 40th anniversary of the ruling in 2007: 'I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, Black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.'." - Mildred Loving (Loving v. Virginia)

Comment

Working...
                              X