Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

♬ Because I'm happy ♬ ... WHAM!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ♬ Because I'm happy ♬ ... WHAM!




    HIGH POINT, N.C. — Investigators believe a driver was posting to Facebook seconds before she crashed and died.

    The wreck happened Thursday morning on Business 85 in High Point. Investigators say 32-year-old Courtney Ann Sanford crossed the median and crashed head-on into
    a truck.

    Later on Thursday, investigators say some of Sanford’s friends and family told them about a Facebook post that Sanford made around the same time as the crash. Investigators discovered the Facebook post was made seconds before the deadly crash.

    “The Facebook text happened at 8:33. We got the call on the wreck at 8:34,” explains Lt. Chris Weisner, with the High Point Police Department.

    Investigators say Sanford’s Facebook post read: “The Happy Song makes me so HAPPY.”

    “In a matter of seconds, a life was over just so she could notify some friends that she was happy,” says Weisner.

    As investigators were tracing back Sanford’s online activity, they discovered she was also posting selfies as she drove down the road.


    Folks, beat this into your teenagers' heads, please.

    As for this poor woman, she was 32, not 17. She knew better.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

  • #2
    Originally posted by Adam View Post


    Folks, beat this into your teenagers' heads, please.

    As for this poor woman, she was 32, not 17. She knew better.
    The majority of texters I see driving around town are "adults" and it is illegal to text and drive in Anchorage.
    If it pays, it stays

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
      The majority of texters I see driving around town are "adults" and it is illegal to text and drive in Anchorage.
      Indeed. I often see people texting (or otherwise doing something with their phone) when driving in the middle of downtown Nashville in the middle of a weekday. Pedestrians, people pulling out from parking spaces, etc. It's a wonder there haven't been hundreds of people maimed or killed already by this.
      It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
      In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
      Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
      Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Adam View Post
        Indeed. I often see people texting (or otherwise doing something with their phone) when driving in the middle of downtown Nashville in the middle of a weekday. Pedestrians, people pulling out from parking spaces, etc. It's a wonder there haven't been hundreds of people maimed or killed already by this.
        "otherwise doing something"

        Which is no more distracting than playing with the radio, or adjusting the A/C, or eating a hamburger, or scratching your balls*.

        * - woman, please substitute "playing with your hair."

        Texting is a menace, especially with touch screens where the user has no haptic feedback. People really should know better. But I submit that operating a navigation program or playing music on a phone is no more distracting and dangerous than using a car's built-in touchscreen nav or playing music through the stereo's own head unit.
        “Any sufficiently advanced capitalism is indistinguishable from rent seeking.” ~ =j

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tom Servo View Post
          "otherwise doing something"

          Which is no more distracting than playing with the radio, or adjusting the A/C, or eating a hamburger, or scratching your balls*.

          * - woman, please substitute "playing with your hair."

          Texting is a menace, especially with touch screens where the user has no haptic feedback. People really should know better. But I submit that operating a navigation program or playing music on a phone is no more distracting and dangerous than using a car's built-in touchscreen nav or playing music through the stereo's own head unit.
          I dunno. My car is pretty simple so I don't have GPS and I just leave the radio on the pre-sets. I would think that keying in a sentence to a phone is more distracting than more automatic behaviors.
          "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tom Servo View Post
            "otherwise doing something"

            Which is no more distracting than playing with the radio, or adjusting the A/C, or eating a hamburger, or scratching your balls*.

            * - woman, please substitute "playing with your hair."

            Texting is a menace, especially with touch screens where the user has no haptic feedback. People really should know better. But I submit that operating a navigation program or playing music on a phone is no more distracting and dangerous than using a car's built-in touchscreen nav or playing music through the stereo's own head unit.
            I agree. Putting on makeup, smoking a cigarette, and eating a bagel all at the same time is worse than texting while driving.
            "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
            -John Locke

            "It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
            -Newman

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by scott View Post
              I agree. Putting on makeup, smoking a cigarette, and eating a bagel all at the same time is worse than texting while driving.
              Putting on makeup...sure. Smoking a cigarette and eating a bagel...not so much. Texting definitely diverts your attention for far longer than eating, smoking, or even changing the radio station does.
              Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
              Robert Southwell, S.J.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tom Servo View Post
                "otherwise doing something"

                Which is no more distracting than playing with the radio, or adjusting the A/C, or eating a hamburger, or scratching your balls*.

                * - woman, please substitute "playing with your hair."

                Texting is a menace, especially with touch screens where the user has no haptic feedback. People really should know better. But I submit that operating a navigation program or playing music on a phone is no more distracting and dangerous than using a car's built-in touchscreen nav or playing music through the stereo's own head unit.
                I would certainly agree that there are lots of possible distractions. The thing about texting and phones in general that I notice is that when people are doing that, they are looking down, as in at their lap, when fiddling with the phone. If I glance at my radio or speedometer or HVAC, I still have the road in my periphery. If I look down at my lap, I no longer do. Also, I tend to see people who are looking at their phones look at them for several seconds, not just the fraction of a second glance that it typically takes to look at the radio enough to punch a button.

                In general, I think that the whole "distracted driving" thing is probably a little over-blown. People are able to multi-task in the car. I know when I drove a wrecker, I constantly no only had to be cognizant of whatever I had on the hook (each car tracks a little differently), I had to listen to and talk on two different two-way radios at a time, plus I usually had the FM radio on, and depending upon the circumstance, I may have to be reading some address or looking at a map along the way. Even at that, over the years, the only collision I ever had was someone rear-ending me; I never collided with anyone else despite hundreds of thousands of miles logged while "driving distracted." So I get that it's possible to do more than one thing while operating a vehicle at speed. I think in the case of phones, though, they make for more of a distraction than I think people realize. Or perhaps that would be better phrased as a more serious distraction than other things in the car.
                It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just to be on the safe side, could we legally ban that song from the airwaves? Please?
                  Enjoy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
                    Just to be on the safe side, could we legally ban that song from the airwaves? Please?
                    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't even know how you'd text while driving. Do you use one hand or have it perched on top of your steering wheel? Why don't people use voice texting if they absolutely have to send something from their car? For me, the hands free calling is a dream. Wouldn't think of texting while driving.
                      May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
                      Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
                      And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
                      may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by scott View Post
                        I agree. Putting on makeup, smoking a cigarette, and eating a bagel all at the same time is worse than texting while driving.
                        The real trick is shaving your legs while driving. So I hear.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Michele View Post
                          I don't even know how you'd text while driving. Do you use one hand or have it perched on top of your steering wheel? Why don't people use voice texting if they absolutely have to send something from their car? For me, the hands free calling is a dream. Wouldn't think of texting while driving.
                          Once the texting laws started it actually became more dangerous. In the past people would text with the phone on the top of the steering wheel. Now they try to hide the phone and text. I know people that seem to be really good at texting while driving but it worries me they do this with their kids in the car.

                          If I need to text someone, I pull over. If I need to set my GPS, I do it before I leave. I also refrain from shaving, applying make up, and other distractions when driving. None of those things for me are worth causing or creating an accident. My town is full of senior citizens that hit the Casinos first thing in the morning just in time for Bingo, it's not uncommon for them to have a few liquid snacks before noon. I've seen them pull out in front of fire trucks before. I keep my eyes on the road.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RobJohnson View Post
                            Once the texting laws started it actually became more dangerous. In the past people would text with the phone on the top of the steering wheel. Now they try to hide the phone and text. I know people that seem to be really good at texting while driving but it worries me they do this with their kids in the car.

                            If I need to text someone, I pull over. If I need to set my GPS, I do it before I leave. I also refrain from shaving, applying make up, and other distractions when driving. None of those things for me are worth causing or creating an accident. My town is full of senior citizens that hit the Casinos first thing in the morning just in time for Bingo, it's not uncommon for them to have a few liquid snacks before noon. I've seen them pull out in front of fire trucks before. I keep my eyes on the road.
                            Riding home from work yesterday and saw a young lady jogging with her phone held up in front of her and texting while running. She tripped and fell by misjudging the curb.

                            Probably texted OUCH
                            If it pays, it stays

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
                              Riding home from work yesterday and saw a young lady jogging with her phone held up in front of her and texting while running. She tripped and fell by misjudging the curb.

                              Probably texted OUCH

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X