Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michele View Post
    Disappeared? I get "This page doesn't exist."
    "Since the historic ruling, the Lovings have become icons for equality. Mildred released a statement on the 40th anniversary of the ruling in 2007: 'I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, Black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.'." - Mildred Loving (Loving v. Virginia)

Comment

• Originally posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post

Disappeared? I get "This page doesn't exist."
      Can't find it on his page either. Strange.
      May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
      Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
      And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
      may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

• I don't really know the context of this from two years ago, but here it is.
        It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
        In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
        Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
        Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam View Post

I don't really know the context of this from two years ago, but here it is.
          Yes, that was it. It must have been in a tweet that I was reading and they posted it. That Summer was crazy bad.
          May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
          Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
          may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

• It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you

Comment

• Astounding.

Comment

• And now for something completely different.....

We are so fucked.

Comment

• "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
                  -John Locke

"It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
                  -Newman

Comment

• Originally posted by scott View Post
                    Well, he can get a job at CNN now....

Comment

• BURN!

"Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
                      -John Locke

-Newman

Comment

😅

"Hi, we are about to smear you. Would you like to participate?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Michele View Post

😅

"Hi, we are about to smear you. Would you like to participate?"
                          Click through to see the whole picture. It's FUNNY!
                          "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
                          -John Locke

-Newman

Comment

Click through to see the whole picture. It's FUNNY!
                            I don't really do a lot of twitter, but that was classic!
                            Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
                            Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post

I think there's a certain naïveté at work, as there are people out there who actually believe the New Left (meaning those who came to prominence in the 60s and 70s) was progressive on women's issues. Stokely Carmichael was not alone in his views on the place of women in the major political movements of those times. No matter whose ideas were used, the people who took credit were male: Abby Hoffman, Carmichael, Tom Hayden, Eldridge Cleaver, etc. And don't even get me started on "free love" (free for guys, that is). The contempt for young women and girls who didn't participate was equaled only by the less spoken but obvious residual contempt for "sluts."

The bottom line is that, with exceptions, men in politics and the women who support them do not want, respect, or support women in politics. The face they put on that changes over time, but the fact does not.
                              Abby Hoffman came to our campus to speak (I have absolutely no idea who invited him). He was a disgusting pig.
                              Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
                              Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by phillygirl View Post

Abby Hoffman came to our campus to speak (I have absolutely no idea who invited him). He was a disgusting pig.
                                Never met him, but can't say I'm surprised. Mind you, I knew some absolutely delightful young men during my protest years, Many of them respected and genuinely liked women. Many were disgusted by the piggish behavior of some of their contemporaries. I fondly recall a particular occasion when we were all studying for fall semester finals. Everyone in the immediate area knew that the dorm study hall was on the women's floor of our co-ed dorm (a cutting-edge innovation itself, in the early 70s). The other 3 dorms on the quad were men's dorms. The dorms were named after Maryland counties. The boys from Allegany (yes, that's how it's spelled in MD) massed out in the quad and started yelling, "Hey, Cecil [our dorm], show us your tits!" Without a word, the several boys who were studying in our dorm walked to the windows and yanked open their shirts. Priceless!

The first thing to know about these movement leaders is that they weren't actually our contemporaries. The guy who reputedly said, "Never trust anyone over 30" was about 28 when he said it. Abbie Hoffman was 36 when I started college. These guys were politicians, just not like the ones we were used to. The leaders of "the revolution" were sometimes our parents ages, or certainly closer to theirs than ours. And none of them, not one that I can recall, had any interest in empowering women to do anything other than serve the interests of the male leaders of the movement.

BTW, this is not a view formed in retrospect. My quite political parents did not raise anyone to be easily bamboozled, and while I agreed with the anti-war stance (and still do, in the same kind of global circumstances), I never bought that a full-on revolution at home was the way to go. And never bought that what was good for the leaders was good for the women in the movement.
                                "Since the historic ruling, the Lovings have become icons for equality. Mildred released a statement on the 40th anniversary of the ruling in 2007: 'I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, Black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.'." - Mildred Loving (Loving v. Virginia)

Comment

Working...
                                X