Progressivism, Sexuality, and Mental Illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressivism, Sexuality, and Mental Illness

An article that pretty much sums up why us humans NEED structure in our lives.

An excerpt:

The progressive account—that LGBT identification is like left-handedness, that persecution explains mental illness, and that rising toleration leads to more people coming out—cannot account for the patterns in my data. A more parsimonious explanation is that left-liberal culture, especially among young people, inclines people to identify as both LGBT and as having a mental health problem.

This could stem from a partly heritable psychological disposition of high openness and neuroticism with low conscientiousness, as some researchsuggests. Another possibility is that a culture which celebrates divergence and transgression may be nudging those with intermittent same-sex attraction to label themselves LGBT, or inclining people with occasional melancholy to say they are depressed.

More seriously, it may be that modern culture is, as Boston University’s Liah Greenfeld suggests, anomic. That is, by breaking down established identity roles, narratives, and boundaries, it introduces dissonance, indeterminacy, and choice, increasing the rates of identity crisis and, by extension, psychological distress. The rise in mental health problems, she argues, is worse in the West than elsewhere in the world, reflecting the cultural specificity of mental illness. Her analysis takes a Durkheimian approach, which focuses on how a loss of communal regulation of desires and identities can produce higher suicide levels as the mind becomes unmoored from social givens in the external world.

In a recent article for the Wall Street Journal, Greenfeld adds that:
    The more a society is dedicated to the value of equality and the more choices it offers for individual self-determination, the higher its rates of functional mental illness. … Equality inevitably makes self-definition a matter of one’s own choice, and the formation of personal identity—necessary for mental health—becomes a personal responsibility, a burden some people can’t shoulder.
    https://quillette.com/2022/06/14/pro...ental-illness/

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Equality inevitably makes self-definition a matter of one’s own choice, and the formation of personal identity—necessary for mental health—becomes a personal responsibility, a burden some people can’t shoulder.
    So the answer is to remove choice?

That's a very strange premise. That said, the Middle East and Africa have massively higher mental health issues. Currently available data is overwhelmingly flawed.
    "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

-John Locke

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post

So the answer is to remove choice?

That's a very strange premise. That said, the Middle East and Africa have massively higher mental health issues. Currently available data is overwhelmingly flawed.
      Humans need structure. If that is not the answer, then what is?

Mark

Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Comment

Originally posted by 80zephyr View Post

Mark
        You remind me of a Spaniard I met in 1973, who told me that Spaniards needed a dictator (Franco, at the time) because they were too "hotheaded" for democracy.

Yes, to live as a society, humans need certain basic structures. They don't need to be micromanaged in their personal choices.
        "Think as I think," said a man,
        "Or you are abominably wicked;
        You are a toad."
        And after I had thought of it,
        I said: "I will, then, be a toad." - Stephen Crane

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post

You remind me of a Spaniard I met in 1973, who told me that Spaniards needed a dictator (Franco, at the time) because they were too "hotheaded" for democracy.

Yes, to live as a society, humans need certain basic structures. They don't need to be micromanaged in their personal choices.
          It appears that facts disagree with you. Again.

Mark

Comment

Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
            Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

It appears that facts disagree with you. Again.

Mark
              External Locus of Control: Individual believes that his/her behaviour is guided by fate, luck, or other external circumstances.

Internal Locus of Control: Individual believes that his/her behaviour is guided by his/her personal decisions and efforts.

In general, it seems to be psychologically healthy to perceive that one has control over those things which one is capable of influencing.

Source.

I'm sorry you feel the need for some external authority to make you behave responsibly.
              "Think as I think," said a man,
              "Or you are abominably wicked;
              You are a toad."
              And after I had thought of it,
              I said: "I will, then, be a toad." - Stephen Crane

Comment

External Locus of Control: Individual believes that his/her behaviour is guided by fate, luck, or other external circumstances.

Internal Locus of Control: Individual believes that his/her behaviour is guided by his/her personal decisions and efforts.

In general, it seems to be psychologically healthy to perceive that one has control over those things which one is capable of influencing.

Source.

I'm sorry you feel the need for some external authority to make you behave responsibly.
                I suggest this book, Mark as an easy primer to help.

If reading is not your thing, there is this:

"There are four lights!"

Comment

Originally posted by phillygirl View Post
                  Really? I don't post about anything else?

Or does the reality of what I post bother you?

Mark

Comment

Source.

Lol. Me? Maybe you can explain why so many young women are suddenly claiming to be transsexual?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post

The reason the world is in the shape it is in is because too many people already don't care.

Mark

Comment

Mark
                        I choose freedom. I don't choose authoritarian top-down societal control. I think you're in the wrong religion, Protestant Puritans seem more your speed.

That said, China has massive structure. Why aren't things just peachy there? Explain Cuba.
                        "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

-John Locke

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post

I am working through Marcus Aurelius when not listening to my Civil War books. I’ve also got several things by Pigliucci on my shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post

I choose freedom. I don't choose authoritarian top-down societal control. I think you're in the wrong religion, Protestant Puritans seem more your speed.

That said, China has massive structure. Why aren't things just peachy there? Explain Cuba.
                            That is not society Scott. It is government. A big difference.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Hondo View Post

I am working through Marcus Aurelius when not listening to my Civil War books. I’ve also got several things by Pigliucci on my shelf.
                              That’s because you are Hondo and not some scrub “influencer,” whatever the hell that means.
                              "There are four lights!"

Comment

Working...
                              X