X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaskan Spirit

Turn the sound up!!

If it pays, it stays

I'm a little surprised at the lack of appreciation for this link. This is an area that could be considered "urban" by Alaskan standards. The avalanche was an major one off and could have buried many people in their sleep. Meanwhile, the community rose to the challenge, and created a snow machine route to ferry people in and out and to provide support for the many without service for close to a month.

This is simply remarkable.

One year ago my nephew came up to consider moving here. He looked at properties on Hiland Road. I warned him of the low winter light and potential for avalanche. He gets it now.

He was more concerned with being killed by a Brown Bear in his yard.
    If it pays, it stays

Comment

It's a fascinating video. I don't generally turn sound on when in my office, so it took a few days for me to watch.
      Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
      Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

I think I commented on FB and liked it here. You're right...it was amazing and cleverly written!
        May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
        Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
        And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
        may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
          I'm a little surprised at the lack of appreciation for this link. This is an area that could be considered "urban" by Alaskan standards. The avalanche was an major one off and could have buried many people in their sleep. Meanwhile, the community rose to the challenge, and created a snow machine route to ferry people in and out and to provide support for the many without service for close to a month.

This is simply remarkable.

One year ago my nephew came up to consider moving here. He looked at properties on Hiland Road. I warned him of the low winter light and potential for avalanche. He gets it now.

He was more concerned with being killed by a Brown Bear in his yard.
          It's a great song and I love the community spirit, but it's also terrifying.
          The year's at the spring
          And day's at the morn;
          Morning's at seven;
          The hill-side's dew-pearled;
          The lark's on the wing;
          The snail's on the thorn:
          God's in his heaven—
          All's right with the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Novaheart View Post

It's a great song and I love the community spirit, but it's also terrifying.
            Great statement and I get that. I have animals that walk through my yard that would terrify you. They are not in your "normal world". When Joyce and I visited and met your sister for the first time we stayed in a Walmart parking lot that had bipeds that, although they didn't terrify me, commanded my attention and threat matrix respect. If I lived in that environment longterm I likely would be less attentive to that presence.

I guarantee all these folks in that avalanche chute's path have something in their purchase paperwork for their property that was a waver stating they are aware they are purchasing within a potential avalanche chute.

No different than my past property holdings in Hernando Beach, Florida. They were all in "A zones" requiring houses to be stilted and x amount of feet off the ground to survive tidal surge in a tropical storm event. People buying in such places get complacent over time about that risk until their house disappears in the "century storm".

Alaskans, as weird as we are, love living through that actual challenge when it happens. It's why for the last 30+ years I've tried to explain how Alaska decides who lives here, not the person.
            If it pays, it stays

Comment

Here's a great drone perspective of the event.

If it pays, it stays

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbit View Post

I have animals that walk through my yard that would terrify you.
                I would only be terrified by wild animals near a family member or pet, in the house or able to get in the house... like alligators.
                The year's at the spring
                And day's at the morn;
                Morning's at seven;
                The hill-side's dew-pearled;
                The lark's on the wing;
                The snail's on the thorn:
                God's in his heaven—
                All's right with the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Novaheart View Post

I would only be terrified by wild animals near a family member or pet, in the house or able to get in the house... like alligators.
                  This is why I prefer to live in a rural area rather than in a Democratic run major urban area.
                  We are so fucked.

Comment

Working...
                  X