Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Report: Family says they tipped gay waitress, didn't leave note about 'lifestyle'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Family says they tipped gay waitress, didn't leave note about 'lifestyle'

Report: Family says they tipped gay waitress, didn't leave note about 'lifestyle'
    Published November 26, 2013FoxNews.com

UNDATED: Dayna Morales, who works at the Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater, N.J., says she was left a note criticizing her "lifestyle" instead of a tip. (MYFOXNY.COM)

A New Jersey couple is reportedly disputing a story that made headlines nationwide about a gay waitress who was left a note criticizing her "lifestyle" instead of a tip, claiming their receipt shows they did leave a tip and didn't write the note.

Dayna Morales, an ex-Marine and server at Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater, said she received the offensive note on a November 13 receipt. "I'm sorry but I cannot tip because I don't agree with your lifestyle and how you live your life,” the message read.

NBCNewYork.com reports that the couple, who asked to remain anonymous, contacted the station after the story went viral and produced a receipt that was apparently printed at the same time, on the same date, for the same amount, except with an $18 tip.

The couple also produced document they claimed was a Visa bill, which indicated their card was charged for the meal plus the tip, for a total of $111.55, the station reported.

The couple told NBCNewYork.com they believe their receipt was used for a hoax. The husband said he didn't vote for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie because the governor opposes same-sex marriage.

"Never would a message like that come from us," he said.

Morales announced last week she would donate thousands of dollars in gratuities from supporters to the Wounded Warrior Project. She told NBCNewYork.com on Monday she did not receive a tip and insisted the handwriting on the receipt was not her own.

The restaurant, which reportedly could not produce the original receipt nor explain why the family was charged for the tip amount, told the station it was aware of the couple's claims and that an internal investigation is ongoing.

"I just felt like people have a right to know that -- it's fine of people want to donate to her or to the Wounded Warriors, but they're doing it under a false pretense," the wife said.
    This has been zipping around the Internet. The server claims that the family stiffed her because she has sex with women (something that would be difficult to detect in a routine food/money exchange).

The customers are understandably angry at being targeted by another gay hoaxer.

Fox
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

It's an overreaction on both sides. Those that sent her money because they were outraged overreacted. Those that are outraged now that it's clear she lied are likewise overreacting. I blame "What Would You Do".
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

I was immediately skeptical because this had already happened around here, and it's not the first time that there has been some false claim like this.
      Bask in the warmth of the Deep South
      No one will be denied:
      Big law suits and bathroom toots;
      We're all getting Dixie-fried.
      But somewhere Hank and Lefty
      Are rollin' in their graves
      While kudzu vines grow over signs that read "Jesus Saves."

Comment

Originally posted by phillygirl View Post
        It's an overreaction on both sides. Those that sent her money because they were outraged overreacted. Those that are outraged now that it's clear she lied are likewise overreacting. I blame "What Would You Do".
        I think she ought to be fired for lying about customers in the media. I have enough problems without worrying about whether or not my server will make up defamatory stories about me on Facebook.

Like it or loath it, Americans simply don't have to tip - for any reason. Many of our foreign visitors never do. Tipping culture survives (and thrives) on the unspoken bargain that you do your job and I will pay you for it personally above the cost of the service.

If I have reason to believe that you will lie about my conduct to run me through the mud and enrich yourself, why would I ever patronize any place you worked?
        "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
          I think she ought to be fired for lying about customers in the media. I have enough problems without worrying about whether or not my server will make up defamatory stories about me on Facebook.

Like it or loath it, Americans simply don't have to tip - for any reason. Many of our foreign visitors never do. Tipping culture survives (and thrives) on the unspoken bargain that you do your job and I will pay you for it personally above the cost of the service.

If I have reason to believe that you will lie about my conduct to run me through the mud and enrich yourself, why would I ever patronize any place you worked?
          I agree with all of that. I just think the viral outrage is as overblown on both ends of this spectrum.
          Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

I think the Magnifying Glass burns more that it brings small things into clarity.
            "There are four lights!"

Comment

In 18 different restaurant jobs I surely got stiffed more than once. It never occurred to me that it might be because I am gay. I mean seriously, it's not like waiter ≠ gay more often than not. Usualy if I got stiffed it was because either I or the kitchen screwed up.

As for this hoaxer, every groups of people (black, hispanic, chinegro, gay, Professional Christian, Jewish, etc... has a certain number of people who are convinced that they are discriminated against for their identitym and an even smaller group who pull a Tawana.

Seriously, look at all the assholes who get they pantitties in a knot because people say "Happy Holidays".
              The year's at the spring
              And day's at the morn;
              Morning's at seven;
              The hill-side's dew-pearled;
              The lark's on the wing;
              The snail's on the thorn:
              God's in his heaven—
              All's right with the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Novaheart View Post
                In 18 different restaurant jobs I surely got stiffed more than once. It never occurred to me that it might be because I am gay. I mean seriously, it's not like waiter ≠ gay more often than not. Usualy if I got stiffed it was because either I or the kitchen screwed up.

As for this hoaxer, every groups of people (black, hispanic, chinegro, gay, Professional Christian, Jewish, etc... has a certain number of people who are convinced that they are discriminated against for their identitym and an even smaller group who pull a Tawana.

Seriously, look at all the assholes who get they pantitties in a knot because people say "Happy Holidays".
                Or Merry Christmas.
                Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Oh Fuck!! It's Rush L time again?
                  If it pays, it stays

Comment

You're right, but it's bullshit that this hoaxer isn't charged with a crime.
                    "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

-John Locke

Comment

It sounds like the woman has issues with needing attention which probably doesn't have anything to do with her being gay or an ex-Marine.

It would be a good consequence for her (providing the company doesn't fire her which I'm guessing will be the outcome of their internal investigation) to have a private meeting set-up at the restaurant between herself, the management and the patrons she lied about and have her apologize to them. They sound like reasonable people who would forgive her.
                      May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
                      Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
                      And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
                      may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

Or Merry Christmas.
                        I really don't mind Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. You can even
                        wish me a Happy Hanukkah if you like.

Just don't take up for businesses that are open on Thanksgiving for "black Friday" and then complain they're declaring a war on Christmas over
                        "Happy Holidays."

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
                          You're right, but it's bullshit that this hoaxer isn't charged with a crime.
                          What would they charge her with?

I think the family could sue her for slander, but I don't think a crime has
                          been committed.

Comment

Remember the good old days when media gatekeepers decided what was newsworthy and ridiculous bullshit back-and-forth harangues between idiots were relegated to The People's Court?
                            Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanie View Post
                              I really don't mind Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. You can even
                              wish me a Happy Hanukkah if you like.

Just don't take up for businesses that are open on Thanksgiving for "black Friday" and then complain they're declaring a war on Christmas over
                              "Happy Holidays."
                              I don't mind any of them, and appreciate anybody wishing me well during any of their celebration times.
                              Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X