X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement

Sounds good to me.
    If it pays, it stays

I'm ending Career 1 shortly myself. I've been working toward early retirement in that field for years now.
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

Sounds awesome to me. 9 more years! (gotta get the youngest out of college...then away we go!)
      Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
      Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

I'm calling it quits at the end of this year. My "give a shit" is completely broken and beyond repair. It's funny in a way. As medicine moved towards micromanagement by insurance companies and now the Government the job has gotten harder and harder. There was plenty of talk about "meaningful use" driven by the present administration causing an exodus of the "older" providers. I am one!!

Add to that Joyce's diagnosis and suddenly time together feels more important than a couple more years of income.
        If it pays, it stays

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
          I'm calling it quits at the end of this year. My "give a shit" is completely broken and beyond repair. It's funny in a way. As medicine moved towards micromanagement by insurance companies and now the Government the job has gotten harder and harder. There was plenty of talk about "meaningful use" driven by the present administration causing an exodus of the "older" providers. I am one!!

Add to that Joyce's diagnosis and suddenly time together feels more important than a couple more years of income.
          Good for you. I'm sorry about the circumstances that have led you to this decision, but I think it's a good one nonetheless. Work will always be there. Time to enjoy life while you are able to in a full and complete way. I've seen too many that have worked until *name the date* and unfortunately their own health failed them before they could truly enjoy the fruits of their labor. You and Joyce have both worked hard to get to this point in your lives, it's time to enter the Play" phase of it.
          Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Sounds good to me.
            I'm surprised you waited this long.

Best of luck buddy!
            "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
            -John Locke

"It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
            -Newman

Comment

I am with Scott on this one.
              The day I can tap the retirement accounts at 59 1/2 is the day I stop working full time.
              May do some part time consulting or other "stuff I like to do and can make some spare change on".
              Having worked in and around the auto industry for so long, I have seen too many people wait to long to retire and not be able to enjoy what they have worked and saved for 50 years to get.
              We are so fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by phillygirl View Post
                it's time to enter the Play" phase of it.
                We've been in "Play Phase" for 39 years. Just gonna continue playing without the distraction of work. I have really liked what I've done for a living until about two years ago. Once we went EMR (Electronic Medical Records) the distraction from actually caring for people grew bigger and bigger. When ICD-10 kicks in I do not know how anyone in medicine will be able to actually spend any time face to face with patients. You'll be too busy trying like hell to comply with "meaningful use".

Next year when you get seen by your provider don't hold it against them if they seem more focused on a laptop then you. It's not their fault.
                If it pays, it stays

Comment

We've been in "Play Phase" for 39 years. Just gonna continue playing without the distraction of work. I have really liked what I've done for a living until about two years ago. Once we went EMR (Electronic Medical Records) the distraction from actually caring for people grew bigger and bigger. When ICD-10 kicks in I do not know how anyone in medicine will be able to actually spend any time face to face with patients. You'll be too busy trying like hell to comply with "meaningful use".

Next year when you get seen by your provider don't hold it against them if they seem more focused on a laptop then you. It's not their fault.
                  Actually, I meant to note that you and Joyce do seem to get a lot of play time in, but good for you to moving to full time play.
                  Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

I'm in an HMO. My doctor has been walking around with a laptop for about two years. Two years before that they were trying to use blackberry instead of chart and prescription pad. That passed. Think of how much in resources we piss away through employer drug screening, employers and schools requiring a doctor's not for "excused absences" and to frustrate the use of FMLA.
                    The year's at the spring
                    And day's at the morn;
                    Morning's at seven;
                    The hill-side's dew-pearled;
                    The lark's on the wing;
                    The snail's on the thorn:
                    God's in his heaven—
                    All's right with the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Novaheart View Post
                      I'm in an HMO. My doctor has been walking around with a laptop for about two years. Two years before that they were trying to use blackberry instead of chart and prescription pad. That passed. Think of how much in resources we piss away through employer drug screening, employers and schools requiring a doctor's not for "excused absences" and to frustrate the use of FMLA.
                      Can you clarify that? I just forwarded a form for my sister for FMLA leave for my mother's doctor to fill out for her. I didn't see it as trying to "frustrate the use of FMLA" but rather to ensure that my sister would be covered under her employment for the time that she needs to take off to help care for my mother.
                      Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Can you clarify that? I just forwarded a form for my sister for FMLA leave for my mother's doctor to fill out for her. I didn't see it as trying to "frustrate the use of FMLA" but rather to ensure that my sister would be covered under her employment for the time that she needs to take off to help care for my mother.
                        Just out curiosity, why didn't her supervisor do that as soon as it became relevant? I do those forms if even looks like an employee will need them (much to their annoyance).

Comment

Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
                          Just out curiosity, why didn't her supervisor do that as soon as it became relevant? I do those forms if even looks like an employee will need them (much to their annoyance).
                          My sister is a supervisor. Technically, her "supervisor" said she didn't need one, my sister insisted that she do it so that there would never be a question as to her being treated any differently from any other employees.

I admit I don't really know the details of the corporate structure where my sister works (and don't really know exactly what she does). Until my mom's hospitalization in November, my sister wasn't really spending a whole lot of time away from work to help with the care. There was an occasional day off or a half day here and there, and it may have been that she used vacation or other time for that. Since now there are minimally weekly appointments that have to handled by one of us, in addition to potentially more in hospital stays and potential home care, I guess my sister felt now was the time for her to be more official about her time away from work. Prior to December I was the only one regularly taking time off from work for these things. Now it's much more of a joint effort and much more intensive from a time perspective.
                          Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

My sister is a supervisor. Technically, her "supervisor" said she didn't need one, my sister insisted that she do it so that there would never be a question as to her being treated any differently from any other employees.

I admit I don't really know the details of the corporate structure where my sister works (and don't really know exactly what she does). Until my mom's hospitalization in November, my sister wasn't really spending a whole lot of time away from work to help with the care. There was an occasional day off or a half day here and there, and it may have been that she used vacation or other time for that. Since now there are minimally weekly appointments that have to handled by one of us, in addition to potentially more in hospital stays and potential home care, I guess my sister felt now was the time for her to be more official about her time away from work. Prior to December I was the only one regularly taking time off from work for these things. Now it's much more of a joint effort and much more intensive from a time perspective.
                            I have no idea why her supervisor would say that. It's a Federal law. Whether you "need" it or not, your employer is obligated to set it up for you. It's not like it costs us anything to comply with the paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
                              I have no idea why her supervisor would say that. It's a Federal law. Whether you "need" it or not, your employer is obligated to set it up for you. It's not like it costs us anything to comply with the paperwork.
                              An employer can not simply give you time off without having it be under FMLA?
                              Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X