X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolutionary Scuba Mask Creates Breathable Oxygen Underwater On Its Own

Revolutionary Scuba Mask Creates Breathable Oxygen Underwater On Its Own
    THE MIND UNLEASHED on 14 January, 2014 at 19:32

Designer Jeabyun Yeon has created something great. Essentially it turns humans into fish.

“Triton uses a new technology of artificial gill model.

- It extracts oxygen under water through a filter in the form of fine threads with holes smaller than water molecules.
    - This is a technology developed by a Korean scientist that allows us to freely breathe under water for a long time.
    - Using a very small but powerful micro compressor, it compresses oxygen and stores the extracted oxygen in storage tank.
    - The micro compressor operates through micro battery.
    - The micro battery is a next-generation technology with a size 30 times smaller than current battery that can quickly charge 1,000 times faster.” – Yanko Design

With the Triton Oxygen Respirator, it might be possible to breathe beneath the surface of the water as if you were a fish. Requiring no bulky tank to keep your lungs pumping properly, this invention of scuba diving equipment is much more ergonomic and organic in design.

The regulator comprises a plastic mouthpiece that requires you to simply bite down. There are two arms that branch out to the sides of the scuba mask that have been developed to function like the efficient gills of a marine creature. The scaly texture conceals small holes in the material where water is sucked into Jeabyun Yeon’s Triton. Chambers inside separate the oxygen and release the liquid so that you can breath comfortably in the ocean.
    Seriously cool!

Mindunleashed
    "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Interesting.

Since (apparently; the article is a little thin on details) this will ultimately result in pure oxygen and, over time, declining nitrogen, this will completely change the dive tables for this sort of thing. Presumably, this could even eliminate nitrogen narcosis and, I guess, the bends, in a lot of circumstances. Helox could become a thing of the past. Honestly, I don't really even know what they physiological effects are of diving at, say, three atmospheres on (relatively) pure oxygen.

Kinda wild to think about, really.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

This is absolutely awesome! It will revolutionize diving. All those PADI instructors are going to have to adjust. Many won't.
      "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
      -John Locke

"It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
      -Newman

Comment

Hate to be a wet blanket, but I foresee hotdog divers using this to go so deep that if the device fails, they have no hope of making it to the surface in time.
        "Since the historic ruling, the Lovings have become icons for equality. Mildred released a statement on the 40th anniversary of the ruling in 2007: 'I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, Black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.'." - Mildred Loving (Loving v. Virginia)

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post
          Hate to be a wet blanket, but I foresee hotdog divers using this to go so deep that if the device fails, they have no hope of making it to the surface in time.
          I'm having a hard time seeing this as downside. LOL!

Seriously, no human invention exists which can't be abused or misused by someone. Besides, their ribs would crush their lungs before the device materials failed.
          "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

I don't really see that as too much of a problem. It gets real, real cold below about 60-75 feet anyway, and you generally start getting pretty miserable from the pressure below 120. But, if you run out of air at those depths, you can just slowly ascend, and you'll get more and more air all the way up. I always found that to be a weird feeling: ascending from, say, 90 feet in a minute or two, and I just exhale the whole way up.

Comment

That's probably true, a new category for the Darwin Award.
              "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
              -John Locke

-Newman

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                I don't really see that as too much of a problem. It gets real, real cold below about 60-75 feet anyway, and you generally start getting pretty miserable from the pressure below 120. But, if you run out of air at those depths, you can just slowly ascend, and you'll get more and more air all the way up. I always found that to be a weird feeling: ascending from, say, 90 feet in a minute or two, and I just exhale the whole way up.
                Well, if this thing were pulling only oxygen out of the water, meaning that the diver is breathing pure oxygen, then oxygen toxicity would set in at any depth beyond about 10 meters, I think.

But, I don't think this device is real, anyway. It seems to be a concept design that relies on a lot of future tech (micro-battery and micro compressor) that doesn't exist yet.
                Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
                  Well, if this thing were pulling only oxygen out of the water, meaning that the diver is breathing pure oxygen, then oxygen toxicity would set in at any depth beyond about 10 meters, I think.
                  I kinda wondered about that as well, but that's not really a topic usually in diving courses. It's all about the nitrogen (at least for now), and then the heavy-duty pro guys use helox, but that's pretty much never an issue for recreational diving.

But, I don't think this device is real, anyway. It seems to be a concept design that relies on a lot of future tech (micro-battery and micro compressor) that doesn't exist yet.
                  True. I didn't notice the link last night to the actual design people, but looking at this, I'm wondering about this guy (?) all together:

My perception of a pristine and peaceful scuba dive changed when I went for my first dive off the Great Barrier Reef. It looks so easy in the movies, but the breathing underwater with an oxygen mask is difficult. Don’t let those practice lessons in the swimming pool fool you!
                  Well, no, it's not. As my PADI instructor's mantra went: "if it's difficult, you're doing something wrong." Other than getting past the psychological part about taking a breath while under water, it's as easy as sitting on your sofa. In particularly rough water/strong tides, you have to watch out not to drift into anything (usually reef), but that's not that hard. I think this designer guy is probably working on a problem that doesn't really exist.

Comment

I think you're correct.

One thing I didn't think about was pressurization. On deep dives the air needs to be forced into the lungs because the water pressure is too great to draw air in.
                    -John Locke

-Newman

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
                      I think you're correct.

One thing I didn't think about was pressurization. On deep dives the air needs to be forced into the lungs because the water pressure is too great to draw air in.
                      Point. The chest cavity is under extreme pressure and the diaphragm cannot overcome that pressure, starts with panting, very shallow breath, and moves to zero intake.

But, if this pans out it could make shallow recreational diving amazing.
                      Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
                      and lost …
                      But the Republicans are racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramps View Post
                        Point. The chest cavity is under extreme pressure and the diaphragm cannot overcome that pressure, starts with panting, very shallow breath, and moves to zero intake.

But, if this pans out it could make shallow recreational diving amazing.
                        And Noodling!!

"Hold my beer, watch this"
                        If it pays, it stays

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbit View Post
                          And Noodling!!

"Hold my beer, watch this"
                          Ahh shit...

I never noodled, but I have been with guys when they did it....
                          Grand Lake 'O The Cherokees.NE Ok.. in the 60's

Carp (intentional).. now I've added another chapter to my 'vocal memoirs' intended for my grandkids.
                          Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
                          and lost …
                          But the Republicans are racist.

Comment

Working...
                          X