Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 Organizations Everyone Hates (For Stupid Reasons)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Organizations Everyone Hates (For Stupid Reasons)

4 Organizations Everyone Hates (For Stupid Reasons)

#3. Fox News

Hey! Thanks for sticking around as long as you did, everyone who saw the name "Fox News" in a column about things that aren't as bad as they seem and immediately stopped reading so you could hightail it to the comment section to tell me you saw the name "Fox News" in a column about things that aren't as bad as they seem and immediately stopped reading!

As for everyone else, please understand, I'm not really saying Fox News is a good thing. Their main function in society is to promote talking points that, more often than not, come from people I disagree with on just about every level possible.

That said, how convenient is it that all of those wacky opinions and talking points are gathered in one easy-to-remember location? Think about how good people on the anti-Fox News side of things have it compared to people who have to blame all of their problems on "the liberal media." Depending on the content of the news story or article in question, that can be just about anyone. If you view "Fox News vs. liberal media" as two separate sides of a war, like a lot of totally-helpful-to-the-fabric-of-American-society types do, you definitely want to be on the side that knows exactly where the enemy fire is going to be coming from.

Fox News is like the light hanging high above the parking lot of a shitty convenience store in the summer, attracting all the moths and gnats and mosquitoes in one spot so they can be easily avoided by anyone who doesn't want to be bothered with their bullshit. Granted, that light is hanging low enough that, if for some silly reason you decide you want to, you can totally go stand over where they are and stick your head in among all the buzzing and biting. Maybe you need to for some reason, who knows? Whatever the case, you know where they are and you know what they're up to if you need to find them.

That's Fox News. Fair, balanced, and easy to avoid if you don't want to be bothered with their bullshit.

Meanwhile, to hear their supporters tell it, the "liberal media" infects everything, from television to movies to music and everything in between. They live in constant fear of having their way of thinking infringed upon in any number of different daily situations. One minute they're watching a thrill ride of a film co-piloted by the likes of Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum ...

... the next, they're outraged over liberal bias in a movie where the hero plays a Republican war veteran who didn't vote for the president he's protecting.

Living in fear of that kind of attack on a daily basis can't be easy. At the very least, it's not nearly as easy as just not watching Fox News.
    Colonel Vogel : What does the diary tell you that it doesn't tell us?

Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

I consider FOX News the tidied up, brushed down version of what Pajamas Media and Red State (and lots of others) dish out with the heaviest bits of crazy filtered out. I very seldom get their noise directly from them, but I get echoes of it from lots of places. Facebook feed, meatspace conversations, sites like this one...
    Enjoy.

Comment

I think this list is cracked.

"People" don't hate the WWE; people who don't watch it seem to hate it. Like soap operas, Oprah's old Book Club, and cruiser bikes, people who have no intention of ever, under any circumstances, of using/participating in the hated behavior "hate" it. So, like 00000.1% of anybody. This like polling me and saying all Libertarians "hate" the Oscars. Basically, no one cares.

People don't "hate" Fox since it beats the competition in almost every category. In studies, its news portion is usually rated as most objective while its opinion pieces lean vaguely right (not hard right).

PETA kills animals. End of story. If AA secretly made moonshine and doled it out in coffee urns at meetings, people would also feel ripped off.

Walmart is not a "job killer". It does harshly impact local business in rural areas but let's look at that. As someone who has lived in those areas, I can tell you that you can't go to work at Bob's Paint Shack unless you are either related to Bob or a close friend of Bob or his family. A Walmart means that over 100 people can get a job even if they've pissed off the entire county over that unfortunate 4th of July episode in 1997.
      "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
        I think this list is cracked.

"People" don't hate the WWE; people who don't watch it seem to hate it. Like soap operas, Oprah's old Book Club, and cruiser bikes, people who have no intention of ever, under any circumstances, of using/participating in the hated behavior "hate" it. So, like 00000.1% of anybody. This like polling me and saying all Libertarians "hate" the Oscars. Basically, no one cares.

People don't "hate" Fox since it beats the competition in almost every category. In studies, its news portion is usually rated as most objective while its opinion pieces lean vaguely right (not hard right).

PETA kills animals. End of story. If AA secretly made moonshine and doled it out in coffee urns at meetings, people would also feel ripped off.

Walmart is not a "job killer". It does harshly impact local business in rural areas but let's look at that. As someone who has lived in those areas, I can tell you that you can't go to work at Bob's Paint Shack unless you are either related to Bob or a close friend of Bob or his family. A Walmart means that over 100 people can get a job even if they've pissed off the entire county over that unfortunate 4th of July episode in 1997.
        Mostly stole my thunder.

I would say that the author is the one who is cracked. His entire theme here is "other people hate all this stuff, and I don't hate it; I just really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really dislike it, and that difference makes me a superior human being."

I don't know anyone who actually hates the WWE, or indeed gives even half a shit about it. Some people like it for entertainment. Some people like cat-juggling for entertainment. Some people like opera. Some people like death metal. Some people like boxing. I don't give a damn about any of them, but I sure as hell don't hate any of them, or indeed even dislike them; I just don't care.

SOME people hate FNC. Those would be the extremely narrow audience of this piece who live their lives filled to the brim and overflowing with hatred for damn near everything that doesn't fit their warped worldview. MOST of these people are pimple-faced, angst-filled teenagers, some of whom have gone full-goth, and others who want to be but dare not for social pressures. The remaining relatively few are such emotional basketcases that they are seldom even able to leave home.

AFAIC, the hatred of Wal-Mart, besides being based in pure greed and envy, is otherwise almost exclusively based upon them being "king of the mountain." Everyone who is not a Yankees fan wants the Yankees lose, and that desire escalates each year that the Yankees win the World Series. When the Dallas Cowboys were the dominant team in the country, the rest of the country just outright hated them for being on top. Same goes for Wal-Mart: those who actually harbor hatred of Wal-Mart (who are a relatively few people) do so because they're pissed that they're not doing that well for themselves. No different from the irrational hatred of "CEOs."
        It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
        In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
        Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
        Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
          Mostly stole my thunder.

I would say that the author is the one who is cracked. His entire theme here is "other people hate all this stuff, and I don't hate it; I just really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really dislike it, and that difference makes me a superior human being."

I don't know anyone who actually hates the WWE, or indeed gives even half a shit about it. Some people like it for entertainment. Some people like cat-juggling for entertainment. Some people like opera. Some people like death metal. Some people like boxing. I don't give a damn about any of them, but I sure as hell don't hate any of them, or indeed even dislike them; I just don't care.

SOME people hate FNC. Those would be the extremely narrow audience of this piece who live their lives filled to the brim and overflowing with hatred for damn near everything that doesn't fit their warped worldview. MOST of these people are pimple-faced, angst-filled teenagers, some of whom have gone full-goth, and others who want to be but dare not for social pressures. The remaining relatively few are such emotional basketcases that they are seldom even able to leave home.

AFAIC, the hatred of Wal-Mart, besides being based in pure greed and envy, is otherwise almost exclusively based upon them being "king of the mountain." Everyone who is not a Yankees fan wants the Yankees lose, and that desire escalates each year that the Yankees win the World Series. When the Dallas Cowboys were the dominant team in the country, the rest of the country just outright hated them for being on top. Same goes for Wal-Mart: those who actually harbor hatred of Wal-Mart (who are a relatively few people) do so because they're pissed that they're not doing that well for themselves. No different from the irrational hatred of "CEOs."
          Pretty much.
          "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

Working...
          X