Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colbert replacing Letterman

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Colbert replacing Letterman

    Here.

    So, replacing one un-funny hack with another un-funny hack.


    Status quo.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

  • #2
    Nailed it. Political satire at its best.
    Colonel Vogel : What does the diary tell you that it doesn't tell us?

    Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

    Comment


    • #3
      I think Colbert can be very funny, but I also think he's too political for that particular show. I didn't like when Letterman was incredibly rude to guests in an attempt to be funny, but he also had his moments.

      For some reason his early interview with Eddie Murphy always sticks out in my brain. It was after Eddie got famous, but not the superstar he is now. Letterman asked how many cars he had, and Murphy went on a rant about why he was asking the black guy about cars. It was hilarious! But then again, it's a rare moment when Eddie Murphy isn't funny.
      Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
      Robert Southwell, S.J.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think Colbert can be funny, too but yes, he's too political..except, now that I think about, so was Letterman..so maybe they didn't have to lower the bar that much.
        May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
        Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
        And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
        may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

        Comment


        • #5
          What is the demographic for these shows? I always thought of these shows as something my mother would watch. Do a lot of working people care about Ben Affleck's latest movie or Kathy Griffin's most recent fake blow job? If they do, shouldn't they be using Radaronline or ETV?

          Seriously, are these shows still important in the way they were in the 70s and 80s?
          "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

          Comment


          • #6
            Rush Limbaugh called this decision CBS' war on America's heartland or some nonsense. Ben Shapiro from Breibart calls Colbert's shtick "vile political blackface." Further proof that hard-core conservatives don't get comedy at all.

            Colbert will not do the Late Show in character. But that character is pretty much all he has in his repertoire. So I don't know how this will go over. Unlike the judgmental types, I'm at least willing to give him a chance.

            Strangely the person who benefits most from this is likely to be my favorite host, Craig Ferguson. His contact gives him first right to Letterman's spot or $5 million. He may have just gotten very wealthy from CBS' blunder.
            Last edited by Tom Servo; Saturday, April 12, 2014, 2:28 AM. Reason: SwiftKey doesn't like Jewish names
            “Any sufficiently advanced capitalism is indistinguishable from rent seeking.” ~ =j

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tom Servo View Post
              Rush Limbaugh called this decision CBS' war on America's heartland or some nonsense. Ben Shapiro from Breibart calls Colbert's shtick "vile political blackface." Further proof that hard-core conservatives don't get comedy at all.

              Colbert will not do the Late Show in character. But that character is pretty much all he has in his repertoire. So I don't know how this will go over. Unlike the judgmental types, I'm at least willing to give him a chance.

              Strangely the person who benefits most from this is likely to be my favorite host, Craig Ferguson. His contact gives him first right to Letterman's spot or $5 million. He may have just gotten very wealthy from CBS' blunder.
              I'm a hard-core conservative and I get comedy just fine. That doesn't change the fact that Colbert just isn't funny. George Carlin was funny. Chris Rock is funny. Dennis Miller, even in his far more liberal days, was and is funny. Jay Leno is funny. Dave Barry is hilarious. Dave Chappelle is an absolute scream.

              There is a big difference between humor and just an ongoing, stupid, angry rant. Bill Maher is a stupid, angry rant. Sandra Bernhard is a stupid, angry, self-hating rant. Stephen Colbert is a stupid, angry rant dressed up in a nice suit and wire-frame glasses.
              It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
              In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
              Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
              Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Adam View Post
                I'm a hard-core conservative and I get comedy just fine. That doesn't change the fact that Colbert just isn't funny. George Carlin was funny. Chris Rock is funny. Dennis Miller, even in his far more liberal days, was and is funny. Jay Leno is funny. Dave Barry is hilarious. Dave Chappelle is an absolute scream.

                There is a big difference between humor and just an ongoing, stupid, angry rant. Bill Maher is a stupid, angry rant. Sandra Bernhard is a stupid, angry, self-hating rant. Stephen Colbert is a stupid, angry rant dressed up in a nice suit and wire-frame glasses.
                While I agree with your assessment of other comedians, I don't consider you a hard-core conservative.
                “Any sufficiently advanced capitalism is indistinguishable from rent seeking.” ~ =j

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tom Servo View Post
                  While I agree with your assessment of other comedians, I don't consider you a hard-core conservative.
                  Wow. What do you consider me, if not a hard-core conservative?
                  It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                  In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                  Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                  Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Adam View Post
                    Wow. What do you consider me, if not a hard-core conservative?
                    A good egg? I dunno. I tend to associate hardcore conservatism with being in the iron grip of the religious right, which I don't think you are. You're more of a strong-willed, obstinate small government fiscal conservative with a streak of libertarianism when it comes to social issues.
                    “Any sufficiently advanced capitalism is indistinguishable from rent seeking.” ~ =j

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X