Mega-facepalm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega-facepalm

I've generally avoided wading into the whole Bundy ranch thing, mostly because I considered everyone involved to be in the wrong. Yes, Clive Bundy has a grievance, but probably not a very valid one. He claims now that the lands in question were/are owned by his family and his ancestry. Unfortunately for him, he was singing a different tune twenty years ago when he was paying grazing fees to BLM. So he sort of blows his own claim out of the water with that one.

He has sought remedies through the courts, and repeatedly has lost. I can appreciate that frustration, but someone loses in almost all court cases, and that means that someone has to buck up and deal with it when that happens.

At the same time, sending a bunch of heavily-armed thugs down there to round up (and kill and/or mistreat) a bunch of cattle is definitely NOT the way to remedy the situation from the government's standpoint. They could far more easily have simply attached his bank accounts and the like to get their payment. What the BLM did was completely out of line. Plus, it was some exceptionally bad optics, even for a federal government that doesn't seem to even know the meaning of the word.

Ouch.

And then there's the people who went out there and basically took up arms against the BLM. These people didn't bother checking their facts to find out about Bundy; they just ran out there shouting "freedom!" without knowing the real circumstance. They, frankly, just look like fools.

So, nobody is really in the right here. Bundy is wrong. The BLM is wrong. Bundy's supporters (the ones who are out there pointing their guns over a wall) are wrong. The thugs hired by the BLM to round up cattle are wrong. Harry Reid is wrong. The enviroweenies claiming that the desert tortoise is going to be killed by cattle are wrong. Everybody. All of 'em are wrong.

And then Bundy goes off and says this:
    “I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” he said. Mr. Bundy recalled driving past a public-housing project in North Las Vegas, “and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids — and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch — they didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.

“And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?” he asked. “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”

Sadly enough, what he says is not really inaccurate. He just found about the worst way possible to describe it.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Originally posted by Adam View Post

Sadly enough, what he says is not really inaccurate. He just found about the worst way possible to describe it.[/SIZE][/FONT][/justify]
    He needs to use political codewords and phrases like "welfare queen" that everyone pretends don't exist.
    Colonel Vogel : What does the diary tell you that it doesn't tell us?

Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post
      He needs to use political codewords and phrases like "welfare queen" that everyone pretends don't exist.
      Don't be ridiculous. Only a relatively few people pretend that welfare queens don't exist.

Comment

How would attaching a bank account remove the trespass cattle from the area?
        Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
          Wait a sec. The comedy/tragedy gold here is in the cotton picking.

Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

Comment

It wouldn't, in and of itself, but it would start to pay the back fees owed (I've heard lots of different figures, but they tend to hover around the $1M mark). Once that starts to happen, chances are the he would decide that it's in his best interest to comply, including removing his cattle.

Comment

Wait a sec. The comedy/tragedy gold here is in the cotton picking.
              True. Why is it always the porch?

Enjoy.

Comment

True. Why is it always the porch?

That's the way it is my neighborhood. African-Americans grill out front, caucasians out back.

Comment

The issue with the BLM being armed (and I guess that means they are thugs ... I am really not sure on the "thug" threshold thing). How do you propose they respond to this?

“I’ve got to protect my property,” Bundy said as Arden steered several cattle inside an elongated pen. “If people come to monkey with what’s mine, I’ll call the county sheriff. If that don’t work, I’ll gather my friends and kids and we’ll try to stop it. I abide by all state laws. But I abide by almost zero federal laws.”

Carol Bundy said her husband is not a violent man, just a person who will protect what he owns. For that matter, so is she.

“I’ve got a shotgun,” she said. “It’s loaded and I know how to use it. We’re ready to do what we have to do, but we’d rather win this in the court of public opinion.”

The Link

Comment

"The life of a repo man is always intense!"
                    Enjoy.

Comment

The issue with the BLM being armed (and I guess that means they are thugs ... I am really not sure on the "thug" threshold thing).
                      Thugs in this case means the hired "cowboys" that the BLM brought in.

How do you propose they respond to this?
                      Same as before: attach his bank account(s), and then from there move up the food chain.

There are far more peaceful ways for the government to extract payment from an unwilling debtor than sending in dozens of guys in riot gear.

Comment

Thugs in this case means the hired "cowboys" that the BLM brought in.
                        I saw one of 'em punch a cow.
                        Enjoy.

Comment

I saw one of 'em punch a cow.
                          I heard one of 'em poked one.

Comment

I heard one of 'em poked one.
                            Better to be a cowpoke than a cowhand, I suppose.
                            Enjoy.

Comment

Interesting.

So, it's still not exactly great. He's using terms like "colored people," which is clearly banned (because, you know, "people of color" is somehow much better), but it's really not quite the same as how the NYT and MediaLiars portrayed it, either.

Comment

Working...
                              X