Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Significance of Chris Christie's Win

The Significance of Chris Christie's Win

It's a bit surprising how blase much of the media seems to be about New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's likely win in Tuesday's election. While it is somewhat natural that attention would drift instead toward the Virginia governor’s race, given where the D.C. press tends to reside and the contest’s relative closeness, the magnitude of Christie’s expected victory really is a big deal. A lot of analysts, including this one from time to time, have overlooked its potential significance.

To put this in perspective, look at the chart at the bottom of the page. It lists the performance, excluding third parties, of every Republican to run statewide in New Jersey from 1945 to 2013, comprising 58 races.

If Christie matches his current numbers in the RCP Average, he would have the fourth-best showing of any Republican in the state in the post-World War II era. Only Sen. Clifford Case in his 1972 re-election, Dwight Eisenhower in the 1956 presidential re-election, and Gov. Tom Kean Sr. in his 1985 re-election put up better numbers.

Three factors make this even more impressive. First, the state’s demographics have pushed it in a more Democratic direction over the past 50 years, as more Hispanics and African-Americans have moved there. The Garden State is also, however, an example of the limitations of the “demographics” argument: It was filled with minorities 50 years ago, but those groups were Irish, Italians, and central Europeans. Today we just call them “whites.” Republicans fared poorly in the state 40 years ago as well, so perhaps minorities haven’t made New Jersey more difficult for the GOP; we’ve just switched our definition of minorities.
    "There are four lights!"

I think it is relatively easy to explain. He is not a lunatic.

You can be a conservative and not be a lunatic. Republicans have forgotten that.
    "There are four lights!"

Comment

Remember this?
      “It’s just crazy, and I’m tired of dealing with the crazies."

That's when I knew he wasn't going to run for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2012.
      "There are four lights!"

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post

You can be a conservative and not be a lunatic. Republicans have forgotten that.
        I think Christie is pretty good at cutting through BS on several fronts, but that's definitely one of them.
        Enjoy.

Comment

What does that have to do with anything? The country just elected a lunatic to a second term. Unless being a sociopathic liar does not count as lunacy to you. Unless surrounding yourself with a lunatic reverand and a lunatic unrepentant terrorist and studying the ways of a lunatic community organizer does not make you an actual lunatic.

Or maybe it's because Christie is clean, articulate and doesn't have a New Jersey dialect, unless he wants to. Democrats like that in their people.
          Science that cannot be questioned is propaganda.

Cameras in classrooms now.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
            What does that have to do with anything? The country just elected a lunatic to a second term. Unless being a sociopathic liar does not count as lunacy to you. Unless surrounding yourself with a lunatic reverand and a lunatic unrepentant terrorist and studying the ways of a lunatic community organizer does not make you an actual lunatic.

Or maybe it's because Christie is clean, articulate and doesn't have a New Jersey dialect, unless he wants to. Democrats like that in their people.
            Thanks for the demonstration.
            "There are four lights!"

Comment

Thanks for the demonstration.
              Hyperbole for thee but not for me. Got it.
              Science that cannot be questioned is propaganda.

Cameras in classrooms now.

Comment

"Lunatic" seems to win elections. Seems lots of people like "lunatic." As JB correctly pointed out, the country has elected a lunatic, TWICE, to the White House. Nancy Pelosi is very clearly a lunatic, and yet she is un-defeatable. Yesterday, a "lunatic" would have handily won the governorship of Virginia, had an Obama bundler not bankrolled a fake libertarian as a third-party spoiler. Governor Moonbeam has actually gotten re-elected in California, after his utterly humiliating drumming-out just a few years ago, and I know at least one Californian who calls him a "right-wing kook" and thinks that CINDY FUCKING SHEEHAN is the right person for the job. I'm not kidding.

The "lunatic" you call Ted Cruz enjoys a high approval rating among Texans, particularly Republicans. Far-Left extremist push-polling organization PPP even had to admit that he's polling pretty well there.
                Bask in the warmth of the Deep South
                No one will be denied:
                Big law suits and bathroom toots;
                We're all getting Dixie-fried.
                But somewhere Hank and Lefty
                Are rollin' in their graves
                While kudzu vines grow over signs that read "Jesus Saves."

Comment

And you like that about those who you define as "conservative" who are on a republican ticket.
                  There was an endless line of centerists voting for the new communist/marxist/fascist mayor of NYC.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                    "Lunatic" seems to win elections. Seems lots of people like "lunatic." As JB correctly pointed out, the country has elected a lunatic, TWICE, to the White House. Nancy Pelosi is very clearly a lunatic, and yet she is un-defeatable. Yesterday, a "lunatic" would have handily won the governorship of Virginia, had an Obama bundler not bankrolled a fake libertarian as a third-party spoiler. Governor Moonbeam has actually gotten re-elected in California, after his utterly humiliating drumming-out just a few years ago, and I know at least one Californian who calls him a "right-wing kook" and thinks that CINDY FUCKING SHEEHAN is the right person for the job. I'm not kidding.

The "lunatic" you call Ted Cruz enjoys a high approval rating among Texans, particularly Republicans. Far-Left extremist push-polling organization PPP even had to admit that he's polling pretty well there.
                    Public Policy Polling is also a vulgar joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X