Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relax, folks. You won't have to be aware of GMO in your food.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Relax, folks. You won't have to be aware of GMO in your food.

    Initiative 522 did not pass. It would have made Washington state the first state in the U.S. to require labeling of foods that contain genetically modified organisms. As such, it was likely to have repercussions in the rest of the country. There was a large and well-funded ad campaign put on by Monsanto, DuPont, Bayer, BASF and the like, and it paid off.

    And yes, I know that organisms have been selectively bred and hybridized for a good long time. And no, I don't view direct genetic manipulation as the same thing.
    Last edited by Norm dePlume; Wednesday, November 6, 2013, 12:45 PM.
    Enjoy.

  • #2
    That's a shame. I support anything that increases human awareness of what's in our food. At the same time, I am also not opposed to GMO foods because I think the benefits outweigh the risks as we know them.

    Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
    “Any sufficiently advanced capitalism is indistinguishable from rent seeking.” ~ =j

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tom Servo View Post
      That's a shame. I support anything that increases human awareness of what's in our food. At the same time, I am also not opposed to GMO foods because I think the benefits outweigh the risks as we know them.

      Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
      If it would have passed, I think the biggest surprise would have been how common the label would be. Every box of Cheerios, every can of Coke, every Campbell's Soup can, and on and on.
      Enjoy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
        If it would have passed, I think the biggest surprise would have been how common the label would be. Every box of Cheerios, every can of Coke, every Campbell's Soup can, and on and on.
        At this point, wouldn't it be easier to label those products that don't have GMO?
        "There are four lights!"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post
          At this point, wouldn't it be easier to label those products that don't have GMO?
          Probably. One of the talking points against the measure was that "organic" labeling serves the same function, in reverse. As in, if you don't want GMO, buy organic.
          Enjoy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Lets all wander back to Indian corn.
            Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
            and lost …
            But the Republicans are racist.

            Comment


            • #7
              Why don't these people just start labeling their food loudly proclaiming "no GMO" or whatever if this is such a big deal to so many people? If that many people actually cared, then every apple shipped out of Washington would have a great big yellow "not genetically modified" sticker on it.

              Based upon what I'm seeing here, it is indeed a poorly-written bit of legislation, and ultimately the argument comes down to "eeeeevvvviiilllll corporate profits are teh debbillll!!!11!!" We already have a food regulatory agency in the United States, and it has affirmed many, many times, across many, many different ideological shifts both in the White House and in Congress, that this food that a very few people are up in arms about is plenty safe. To date, there has never been a single illness or death that can even remotely be attributed to GMO foods.



              I'm sorry, but whole GMO foods dust-up looks even more contrived than ever before. It is being pushed by a bunch of pristine-earthers who refuse to accept the simple reality that the earth was never pristine in the first place.
              Bask in the warmth of the Deep South
              No one will be denied:
              Big law suits and bathroom toots;
              We're all getting Dixie-fried.
              But somewhere Hank and Lefty
              Are rollin' in their graves
              While kudzu vines grow over signs that read "Jesus Saves."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
                Probably. One of the talking points against the measure was that "organic" labeling serves the same function, in reverse. As in, if you don't want GMO, buy organic.
                Is that not a valid point?
                "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

                -John Locke

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Adam View Post
                  Why don't these people just start labeling their food loudly proclaiming "no GMO" or whatever if this is such a big deal to so many people? If that many people actually cared, then every apple shipped out of Washington would have a great big yellow "not genetically modified" sticker on it.

                  Based upon what I'm seeing here, it is indeed a poorly-written bit of legislation, and ultimately the argument comes down to "eeeeevvvviiilllll corporate profits are teh debbillll!!!11!!" We already have a food regulatory agency in the United States, and it has affirmed many, many times, across many, many different ideological shifts both in the White House and in Congress, that this food that a very few people are up in arms about is plenty safe. To date, there has never been a single illness or death that can even remotely be attributed to GMO foods.



                  I'm sorry, but whole GMO foods dust-up looks even more contrived than ever before. It is being pushed by a bunch of pristine-earthers who refuse to accept the simple reality that the earth was never pristine in the first place.
                  It's more than that, it's corporate lobbying and astroturf from Monsanto's competitors that is driving the effort.
                  "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

                  -John Locke

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by scott View Post
                    It's more than that, it's corporate lobbying and astroturf from Monsanto's competitors that is driving the effort.
                    Not surprising. Sort of like DuPont astroturfing environmental groups to get Freon banned, I guess.
                    Bask in the warmth of the Deep South
                    No one will be denied:
                    Big law suits and bathroom toots;
                    We're all getting Dixie-fried.
                    But somewhere Hank and Lefty
                    Are rollin' in their graves
                    While kudzu vines grow over signs that read "Jesus Saves."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What I don't understand is why the GMO issue is so big in Europe. I've actually heard some say they will never visit the Americas because we're "eating mystery food."

                      Then again these are the same people who think carbon trading can actually stop global warming, so maybe I'm just giving them too much credit.

                      Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
                      “Any sufficiently advanced capitalism is indistinguishable from rent seeking.” ~ =j

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Opponents of the labeling have a peculiar straddle. On the one hand, they say, there is nothing frightful about genetic modification. On the other hand, putting the words "genetically modified" on the label is a scare tactic. As a food production mechanism, it's nothing to be avoided. Awareness of it, however, must be avoided, even if we have to spend millions to defeat it at the polls.
                        Enjoy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by scott View Post
                          It's more than that, it's corporate lobbying and astroturf from Monsanto's competitors that is driving the effort.
                          Prove it.
                          Enjoy.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by scott View Post
                            Is that not a valid point?
                            Not entirely. There are a lot of foods that are neither GMO nor organic. Being organic involves some other criteria about pesticides and fertilizers. But it is true that organic foods are non-GMO by definition.
                            Enjoy.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              As a public service, I am noting that the following post contains a GMO (Grammatically Modified Outburst), bolded for easy identification. It should not be confused with an actual argument.
                              Originally posted by Adam View Post
                              Why don't these people just start labeling their food loudly proclaiming "no GMO" or whatever if this is such a big deal to so many people? If that many people actually cared, then every apple shipped out of Washington would have a great big yellow "not genetically modified" sticker on it.

                              Based upon what I'm seeing here, it is indeed a poorly-written bit of legislation, and ultimately the argument comes down to "eeeeevvvviiilllll corporate profits are teh debbillll!!!11!!" We already have a food regulatory agency in the United States, and it has affirmed many, many times, across many, many different ideological shifts both in the White House and in Congress, that this food that a very few people are up in arms about is plenty safe. To date, there has never been a single illness or death that can even remotely be attributed to GMO foods.



                              I'm sorry, but whole GMO foods dust-up looks even more contrived than ever before. It is being pushed by a bunch of pristine-earthers who refuse to accept the simple reality that the earth was never pristine in the first place.
                              Enjoy.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X