Things that make you scratch your head and ask "WTF?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that make you scratch your head and ask "WTF?"

A California resident and one-time Republican presidential candidate has a radical plan to overhaul government in his state -- a ballot initiative that would increase the size of the state’s legislature to roughly 12,000 members.

John Cox, a San Diego County resident, says his plan is to divvy up the state’s 120 legislative districts into roughly 12,000 more community-based districts. The plan, he claims, would make California government more in tune with voters and less vulnerable to special interests.

Cox reportedly has cleared the first hurdle, getting state permission this month to collect signatures to get the initiative on the November 2014 ballot. But he still faces several other challenges in his bid to increase the size of the legislature for the first time since the late-1800s.

He will need to collect 807,615 valid signatures by May 19. And the initiative, if passed, could have to go before the state Supreme Court to become law, according to Bob Stern, who ran California’s non-partisan Center for Governmental Studies.
    Errr.... yeah. I'm afraid I wouldn't be on board with that if I were in California.

I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that if there's one problem that California (or indeed pretty much anywhere else) does not have, it's a shortage of politicians.
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

I don't think the limited government argument would fly with him. lol.

Comment

Good idea. Easier to buy 120 than it is to buy 12,000.
      Colonel Vogel : What does the diary tell you that it doesn't tell us?

Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

Comment

Where would they hold sessions? Sleep Train Arena?
        Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm dePlume View Post
          Where would they hold sessions? Sleep Train Arena?

Professor Henry Jones : It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try *reading* books instead of *burning* them!

Comment

Skywalker Ranch?
            Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jingo View Post
              Good idea. Easier to buy 120 than it is to buy 12,000.
              Do you honestly believe that?

Go to a football game sometime. See how prevalent mob mentality is.
              "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
              -John Locke

"It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
              -Newman

Comment

Wouldn't be easier to curtail the scope of Federal legislation and expand the authority of county/town politicians?

It would certainly be more fun.
                "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
                  Do you honestly believe that?

Go to a football game sometime. See how prevalent mob mentality is.
                  There are very few things I honestly believe.

Comment

Working...
                  X