Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Election results should move both parties to introspection. Journalists, too.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phillygirl View Post

You might be interested in looking at these statistics from a Congressional Research Firm. Warning, PDF

Teen sex was happenings in the 1950's and 1960's. One of the differences was the fact, I think, that abortions were rare and marriage post-pregnancy were greater. But the sex was still happening.
    I have no doubt sex was happening. But at least there was the facade of living a moral life. In the 60's, a divorce was something to be ashamed of. Today, they have parties to celebrate their failure.

Mark
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post

I remember, what would you like to know? How a guy who got a girl pregnant could avoid all legal and social responsibility by getting a couple of friends to say they had also had sex with her? Or, on the flip side, laws and biases that made it virtually impossible for a man to get custody of his child(ren), even if the mother didn't or couldn't take care of them properly, and even if she was the one catting around and abandoning the marriage?

How rape victims could grilled and taunted on the witness stand (after being grilled and taunted by the police) about everyone they were ever even thinking about having sex with, even if the rape was obviously forcible?

Perhaps you'd be interested in laws that allowed or compelled involuntary sterilization of young women and girls who were deemed "unfit" mothers, even though the criteria for "unfitness" was often nothing more than being black and pregnant?

Perhaps you're aware that people could be jailed for marrying someone of a different race in 1962? That there were different and openly discriminatory voting laws to prevent black people from exercising the right to vote? That Jim Crow was in full swing?

And then there was employment. You probably think it's silly of me to find it disgusting that in 1962, an employer told my mom, at that time the sole breadwinner in our family (following my dad getting laid off, fortunately briefly), that she was the best qualified candidate for the job but didn't get it because the less-experienced young man who applied "had a family to support." Morals don't just involve sexual behavior.

I could go on, but you see the 50s and early 60s through rose-colored stove lids*, so it's not worth the bother.

* That's a literary reference, for those who have only read one book.
      The situation isn't all or nothing. The trend in society should be to keep the best aspects of it, while continually trying to right the wrongs of the past. You seem to believe that because the 60's also had some bad things, we should salvage none of it.

I disagree.

Mark
      Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Comment

I do wish there could be a well supported third party that would be truly conservative on fiscal matters, moderate on social matters, and take the executive branch. I guess a better start would be looking at the legislative branch
        It won't happen in our lifetime.
        If it's very conservative, the D's win it all.
        If its very progressive, the R's win it all.
        If it stays in the middle it dies on it's own.
        Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
        and lost …
        But the Republicans are racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramps View Post
          It won't happen in our lifetime.
          If it's very conservative, the D's win it all.
          If its very progressive, the R's win it all.
          If it stays in the middle it dies on it's own.
          Once all the states pass ranked choice voting it's game over.
          If it pays, it stays

Comment

Originally posted by 80zephyr View Post

I have no doubt sex was happening. But at least there was the facade of living a moral life. In the 60's, a divorce was something to be ashamed of. Today, they have parties to celebrate their failure.

Mark
            Damn right I celebrated my divorce! My life is so much better. Melanie's life is so much better. We don't fight anymore, we're very good friends now. Seriously, we talk . The kids had a calmer existence after the first few months. ALL 4 are doing quite well. We weren't trying to raise compliant children, we raised happy self-sufficient (3 out of 4 so far) adults.

To your point, my marriage wasn't terrible. No abuse, no drug or alcohol problems, no infidelity until it was obvious we just were not going to have that deep connection (she just isn't that into me - I was good on paper but that wasn't enough for her after about 5 years).

"Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
            -John Locke

"It's all been melded together into one giant, authoritarian, leftist scream."
            -Newman

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post

Damn right I celebrated my divorce! My life is so much better. Melanie's life is so much better. We don't fight anymore, we're very good friends now. Seriously, we talk . The kids had a calmer existence after the first few months. ALL 4 are doing quite well. We weren't trying to raise compliant children, we raised happy self-sufficient (3 out of 4 so far) adults.

To your point, my marriage wasn't terrible. No abuse, no drug or alcohol problems, no infidelity until it was obvious we just were not going to have that deep connection (she just isn't that into me - I was good on paper but that wasn't enough for her after about 5 years).
              I'm glad you are happy. Still wrong to celebrate failure.

Mark

Comment

I'm glad you are happy. Still wrong to celebrate failure.

Mark
                You call it failure, I don't.
                "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."
                -John Locke

-Newman

Comment

You call it failure, I don't.
                  You call it what you want. "Your" truth, is not the truth.

Mark

Comment

You call it what you want. "Your" truth, is not the truth.

Mark
                    You're awfully judgy. I wonder if anyone said anything about that in the Bible.
                    -John Locke

-Newman

Comment

You're awfully judgy. I wonder if anyone said anything about that in the Bible.
                      Reality is not judging. It simply is.

Mark

Comment

Wish I were pure.
                        Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
                        and lost …
                        But the Republicans are racist.

Comment

Marriages don't need a divorce to be a failure.
                          May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
                          Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
                          And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
                          may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                            Marriages don't need a divorce to be a failure.
                            True. But they do need a divorce to be a failure.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Gramps View Post
                              Wish I were pure.
                              Who said they were? Why are people here so dead set against the truth?

Mark

Comment

True. But they do need a divorce to be a failure.

Mark
                                A failure in my view is something I would not repeat.

I don't care how it happened but I have a wonderful family and even a pretty cool ex-wife. That's not a failure.
                                -John Locke

-Newman

Comment

Working...
                                X