Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Election results should move both parties to introspection. Journalists, too.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michele View Post
    Since you asked, I'd rather you "just shut up", period.

There is no one on this forum who hasn't disagreed with me or I with them. So that's not the issue...try again.
    Lol. Not gonna happen. I do know that the truth bothers you. I wonder why that is?

Of course people can disagree civilly. But it appears with any "hot button" issue, most here lean toward incivility towards the facts.

Mark
    Last edited by 80zephyr; Wednesday, November 16, 2022, 2:04 PM.
    Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Gender is not a "Social Construct", it is an outgrowth of biological reality.

Comment

What did she figure out?
      I don't understand the question.

Mark
      Race Card: A tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is what they want it to be instead of the way it is." - Bill Maher

Political correctness is ideological fascism. It’s the antithesis of freedom. Dr. Piper

Comment

• Originally posted by Celeste Chalfonte View Post

Different vice, but that so easily could have been my story, and could have caused so much difficulty for my child. Good for you for getting yours out of that toxic environment. I can attest, from meeting your daughter, that you did a great job raising them. Much better, I feel certain, than you could have done with your ex on-site.

I was in a relationship (with TFB) when we decided to have a child. Since she was tenured at CUNY, I was making plans to move to NYC and take the bar there. Once I had a job there, we planned for me to get pregnant. She, however, in the immortal words of Nova, could not be faithful to a brand of cigarettes. To her credit (the only credit I'll give her), she did end our relationship once she was sure she liked the other woman more (but not before being unfaithful, with all the risks that could have exposed me to). There I was, 40 years old, and fortunately, not yet pregnant. After I got over the initial shock, I realized that I didn't need her - or any partner - to have a child. I knew I had the support of my family of origin and my friends. After giving myself a reasonable time to make sure this was what I really wanted, and not a reaction to the breakup, I became an elective single mother.

Was my "marriage" (not possible in 1993 legally) a failure? No, I was fully committed. She was a failure at being in a committed relationship and creating a family. My family is a total success. I did not have to fight over parenting or custody of HRH with a narcissist. HRH grew up surrounded by a loving and diverse family of genetic relatives and chosen ones. At various points in our lives, I've had a flash of what it would've been like to have, for instance, a colicky baby with a co-parent who believed all distraction should just stop when she was writing a scholarly paper or working on her book.

I cannot see doing what's best for your children as a failure of any kind. None of us can foresee the future. As Jackson Browne wrote, "When you see through love's illusions, there lies the danger/And your perfect lover just looks like a perfect fool...." People change; some grow and others devolve. I later learned that TFB had a history of being able to hold it together and act like an adult for about a year before the narcissism became prominent again. Dodged a bullet there, but I surely can't judge anyone who, having the option to marry, did so before realizing that the other person would never, ever be a full partner and responsible adult.
        I've always respected you a lot for choosing to become a single parent. While it's something I thought about, I just couldn't pull that trigger. At one point, when I was kind of sort of maybe thinking about adoption my law partner had a client coming in who was considering giving her unborn child up for adoption. He came over to my office before the client was due to come in and told me, somewhat excitedly, that perhaps I could look into adopting this child. I asked how far along she was. I realized by my own immediate internal reaction that I simply was not prepared to make the kind of sacrifice that would be necessary to be a single mom, and certainly not within 5 months. It was at that point that I shelved the whole idea and decided that being an aunt was not only enough, it was perfect for me. I really only wanted to be a part-time parental figure; similar to how I view romantic relationships! I'm too married to my job to devote the emotional resources to a family. Many people are like me, however they don't recognize it and go ahead and get married and start families, despite not being equipped to put the work in that is necessary. It mostly is a matter of selfishness, I guess. I am too selfish to have a family that I'm responsible for. But I think I do a decent job of "clean up in Aisle 1".
        Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
        Robert Southwell, S.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by 80zephyr View Post

Lol. Not gonna happen. I do know that the truth bothers you. I wonder why that is?

Of course people can disagree civilly. But it appears with any "hot button" issue, most here lean toward incivility towards the facts.

Mark
          Oh, you weren't serious, okay.
          May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
          Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
          And when they're grown and someone has to speak for those who have no voice,
          may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

I don't understand the question.

Mark
            You said it took you seven years to figure out if she was the right one. Did she have to figure something out too?
            May we raise children who love the unloved things - the dandelion, the worm, the spiderlings.
            Children who sense the rose needs the thorn and run into rainswept days the same way they turn towards the sun...
            may they draw upon that wilder bond, those days of tending tender things and be the one.

Comment

• Originally posted by phillygirl View Post

I've always respected you a lot for choosing to become a single parent. While it's something I thought about, I just couldn't pull that trigger. At one point, when I was kind of sort of maybe thinking about adoption my law partner had a client coming in who was considering giving her unborn child up for adoption. He came over to my office before the client was due to come in and told me, somewhat excitedly, that perhaps I could look into adopting this child. I asked how far along she was. I realized by my own immediate internal reaction that I simply was not prepared to make the kind of sacrifice that would be necessary to be a single mom, and certainly not within 5 months. It was at that point that I shelved the whole idea and decided that being an aunt was not only enough, it was perfect for me. I really only wanted to be a part-time parental figure; similar to how I view romantic relationships! I'm too married to my job to devote the emotional resources to a family. Many people are like me, however they don't recognize it and go ahead and get married and start families, despite not being equipped to put the work in that is necessary. It mostly is a matter of selfishness, I guess. I am too selfish to have a family that I'm responsible for. But I think I do a decent job of "clean up in Aisle 1".
              You're an amazing Aunt. I wish you were mine...I need an Auntie Mame sometimes. 😁

Comment

You're an amazing Aunt. I wish you were mine...I need an Auntie Mame sometimes. 😁
                "Oh! I didn't know your aunt was literate."

One of my favorite lines from that movie.

It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

You said it took you seven years to figure out if she was the right one. Did she have to figure something out too?
                  She was in favor of a long courtship. But she was ready to marry when I asked her.

Mark

Comment

She was in favor of a long courtship. But she was ready to marry when I asked her.

Mark
                    Interesting

Comment

• The current rumor is that Lurch will be sworn in in Jan in the Senate. After a short time he will 'retire' because of health, the Penn Gov will appoint his wife who will be celebrated as the first out bi-sexual female senator.
                      Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
                      and lost …
                      But the Republicans are racist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gramps View Post
                        The current rumor is that Lurch will be sworn in in Jan in the Senate. After a short time he will 'retire' because of health, the Penn Gov will appoint his wife who will be celebrated as the first out bi-sexual female senator.
                        He's not Lurch, he's Fester.
                        It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
                        In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
                        Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
                        Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now

Comment

Interesting
                          After my daughter married, she was trying to get pregnant and was having a hard time. She asked my wife if she had the same problem trying to get pregnant. My wife told her she never went on birth control. She was stunned.

Mark

Comment

After my daughter married, she was trying to get pregnant and was having a hard time. She asked my wife if she had the same problem trying to get pregnant. My wife told her she never went on birth control. She was stunned.

Mark
                            Huh.

Comment

Huh.
                              ??

Comment

??
                                What?

Comment

Working...
                                X