Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh dear. NOW what are the O'Keefe haters going to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear. NOW what are the O'Keefe haters going to do?

Madison — State Senate President Mike Ellis dropped out of his re-election race Friday, two days after the release of a secret recording showed him discussing the creation of an illegal political action committee to attack his challenger.

The Neenah Republican's decision ends a political career spanning four decades and leaves Democratic state Rep. Penny Bernard Schaber of Appleton as the only candidate in the race. Gov. Scott Walker was just 3 years old when Ellis won election to the Legislature nearly 44 years ago.

His departure will accelerate a trend in the Senate toward sharper party clashes, observers agreed.

"I don't fit in anymore," Ellis said in an interview. "There isn't room for independent thinking and compromise. ...There's no room on the street anymore for people to walk down the middle of the road."

[....]

He made the decision to get out of the race Wednesday night after the recording was released. He said he suspected people were recording him on other occasions, including when he was out for dinner with his wife, Sandy.

"My wife doesn't deserve this," he said. "Nobody's wife deserves this.

"I grew up like Tommy Thompson in the '80s and '90s," he said, referring to his political ascent with the longtime Republican governor. "Our entire political makeup does not recognize that approach to politics."

Ellis leaves office undone by the very qualities that helped him endure: his willingness to jostle both political parties, brag and spout bull. Following the release of the recording, Ellis found himself forced to tell a skeptical public that he didn't understand the limits of campaign laws that he had long championed.

A five-minute video about Ellis' comments and the unedited recording were posted online Wednesday by the conservative group Project Veritas. Another video from the same recording was released Thursday, this one focusing on critical comments Ellis made about Walker.

Ellis talked in the recording about establishing a separate political operation with $400,000 to $500,000 to help him. Campaign law precludes candidates from working with groups that are set up to independently run ads aimed at helping them.

"I am putting together my own super PAC," Ellis said in the recording.

The Left must be terribly conflicted by now. They can't stand that Madison is being run by conservatives, but they also can't stand O'Keefe. What to do? What to do?
    It's been ten years since that lonely day I left you
    In the morning rain, smoking gun in hand
    Ten lonely years but how my heart, it still remembers
    Pray for me, momma, I'm a gypsy now
Working...
X