Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Day the Mad Dogs Took Over the Republican Party

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Day the Mad Dogs Took Over the Republican Party

    The Day the Mad Dogs Took Over the Republican Party

    It was a head-spinning day in Washington, yesterday was, as the story seemed to change from hour to hour in terms of who was proposing or accepting or refusing what and who seemed up and who seemed down. But through it all, one constant did not change and doesn’t seem likely to change: The Republicans are wrecking themselves.


    ...



    But the thing is this. People who have specific policy goals engage in negotiation. But these Republicans don’t have specific policy goals. They have what we might call emotional policy goals. They want to wipe Obamacare, and Obama’s desires on taxation, and the entire Obama record, really, from the face of the earth, like Pharoah wanted to wipe Moses’s name from the obelisks. They don’t even really know what they want to win, as Indiana GOP Congressman Martin Stutzman famously said last week. But if it humiliates Obama, it’s a win. Bad for the country? That doesn’t matter either. To them, by definition, if it’s bad for Obama, it’s good for the country. They actually think this.


    And so, through a combination of a critical mass of anti-thought people in their caucus who won’t govern at all if it means seeing Obama come out OK, and a “leader” who can now plainly be called the weakest speaker since America became a country of consequence, the Republican Party has finally and fully succumbed to its cultural rage. It has used that rage mostly effectively for nigh on 50 years now, since Barry Goldwater. That rage has served it well on balance. It helped elect Nixon. It certainly helped elect Reagan, and even though it could be argued that once in office Reagan didn’t do that much to stoke it, he understood that he needed it to win, which is why he opened his 1980 campaign down in Mississippi, to say to his America that it was all right to resent black people, he understood you.


    The rage kept the base galvanized. It kept the enemy, or enemies—liberal and the media, often one and the same—in the gun sights. But it could also be controlled, the way Reagan controlled it. And even Dubya controlled it. The rich didn’t really share the rage, or most of them. Even the Koch Brothers probably don’t, what with all the froufrou artsy-fartsy outfits up in New York they help sustain.


    But all of them have used it. And they have tolerated it, the casual racism, the hatred of gay people, and the rest. They tolerated it because the booboisie voted the right way, and because they, the elites, remained in charge. Well, they’re not in charge now. The snarling dog they kept in a pen for decades has just escaped and bitten their hand off.
    "There are four lights!"

  • #2
    The shrillness just cannot be stopped. It's absolutely boiling over.
    Bask in the warmth of the Deep South
    No one will be denied:
    Big law suits and bathroom toots;
    We're all getting Dixie-fried.
    But somewhere Hank and Lefty
    Are rollin' in their graves
    While kudzu vines grow over signs that read "Jesus Saves."

    Comment


    • #3
      . But these Republicans don’t have specific policy goals. They have what we might call emotional policy goals. They want to wipe Obamacare, and Obama’s desires on taxation, and the entire Obama record, really, from the face of the earth
      Apparently it isn't a POLITICAL GOAL if you don't agree with it.

      Got it.
      Robert Francis O'Rourke, Democrat, White guy, spent ~78 million to defeat, Ted Cruz, Republican immigrant Dark guy …
      and lost …
      But the Republicans are racist.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gramps View Post
        Apparently it isn't a POLITICAL GOAL if you don't agree with it.

        Got it.
        LOL! Exactly. The Republicans have actually proposed a number of specific goals that haven't passed the Senate. To say that they don't have real, specific goals is just....well, lying. People may or may not like those proposals but they are genuine proposals.

        This Administration hasn't been able to even attempt a budget in how many years now? The same Administration has side-stepped the legislative process on how many Executive Orders? Doesn't that seem like an emotional reaction to not getting your way?

        The Republicans have a lot of flaws, not the least of which is being essentially Donkey-lite for years now, however, the Democrats and their policies certainly haven't accomplished anything of value in the same time period. In fact, most middle class people have been hurt by Democrat policies to one degree or another.

        At least some few libertarian-minded Republicans are talking about the negative impact of runaway government regulation and taxation on small business.
        "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

        Comment


        • #5
          this must be from NPR.
          Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
          Robert Southwell, S.J.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post

            At least some few libertarian-minded Republicans are talking about the negative impact of runaway government regulation and taxation on small business.
            Talk is cheap unlike where our healthcare will be going, prepare to comply with our new overlords.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
              LOL! Exactly. The Republicans have actually proposed a number of specific goals that haven't passed the Senate. To say that they don't have real, specific goals is just....well, lying. People may or may not like those proposals but they are genuine proposals.

              This Administration hasn't been able to even attempt a budget in how many years now? The same Administration has side-stepped the legislative process on how many Executive Orders? Doesn't that seem like an emotional reaction to not getting your way?

              The Republicans have a lot of flaws, not the least of which is being essentially Donkey-lite for years now, however, the Democrats and their policies certainly haven't accomplished anything of value in the same time period. In fact, most middle class people have been hurt by Democrat policies to one degree or another.

              At least some few libertarian-minded Republicans are talking about the negative impact of runaway government regulation and taxation on small business.
              Obama sent a budget for consideration more than once. Each time, the Senate killed it without any yayz. Me thinks the democratics are guilty of obstructionism. Congress....?...they just don't know what they're dealing with.

              Comment

              Working...
              X