Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vindicating a radical experiment in governing

Vindicating a radical experiment in governing

I re-watched New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s (R) re-election victory speech last night, and there was one point he emphasized that’s worth considering in more detail.

“The biggest thing, the biggest thing I’ve learned over the last four years about leadership is that leadership is much less about talking than it is about listening, about bringing people around the table listening to each other, showing them respect, doing what needed to be done to be able to bring people together and to achieve what we needed to achieve to move our state forward.

“Now listen, I know that if we can do this in Trenton, New Jersey, maybe the folks in Washington, DC, should tune in their TVs right now to see how it’s done. […]

“I know that tonight a dispirited America, angry with their dysfunctional government in Washington looks to New Jersey to say, ‘Is what I think’s happening really happening? Are people really coming together?’”

Obviously, this was intended to be part of Christie’s message in advance of a presidential campaign, and for the media establishment that adores the governor, the rhetoric worked – the usual suspects swooned.

But listening to this, I kept thinking about the success of the provocative strategy implemented by congressional Republicans. As Matt Yglesias put it, “In a way Christie’s success vindicates Boehner/McConnell theory that root-and-branch obstruction is best way to make Obama look bad.”
    "There are four lights!"
Working...
X