Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Suggestion...

    Could we get a "Thank" button for posts? Sometimes I'd like to acknowledge a good post without posting just a "Yeah!"
    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I aim with my eye.

    "I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind.

    "I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
    I kill with my heart.”

    The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

  • #2
    Originally posted by daveman View Post
    Could we get a "Thank" button for posts? Sometimes I'd like to acknowledge a good post without posting just a "Yeah!"

    It's just you and me on that one, Dave. I asked for years. I keep being told this isn't Facebook (thank allah!).
    Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
    Robert Southwell, S.J.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm pretty sure we at least started talking about this before. Not sure if anything was ever resolved.

      There are multiple "thank you" and "like" hacks out there. Some of them are actually linked with facebook such that when one "likes" a post here, there's a corresponding "like" post on facebook. I think I remember that people generally felt that was a little too invasive, though it does increase NEIP's "exposure" a bit.


      If all we want is a flag saying "hey, Joe Blow likes this post," then we can get one that isn't actually connected to anything. They have varying levels of "interactivity," from just flagging a post visually to sending a notification to the poster that their post has been "liked."


      I confess this kind of dropped through the cracks in the whole re-building thing, but since I'm pretty much relegated to the indoors for the next 48 hours thanks to the especially crappy weather, I'll certainly do my best to get something installed this weekend that people want, if we can reach some manner of consensus on this.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think people would be fine with one that just operated on NEIP.
        "Alexa, slaughter the fatted calf."

        Comment


        • #5
          I think there was universal "dislike" for anything that connected to facebook. I'd like to see some kind of button that lets me just say "good post"; "like", "thanks" or some such thing for a post. It would be good for there person to be notified when someone does this.

          I don't want points, or money, or anything like that when it happens, just as Dave said, a quick way to say "good post" without interrupting the flow of the dialogue.
          Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live...
          Robert Southwell, S.J.

          Comment


          • #6
            Right. Let me see what all is out there and what looks best.

            Comment


            • #7
              I concur, a thanks button would be great.
              "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

              -John Locke

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                I'm pretty sure we at least started talking about this before. Not sure if anything was ever resolved.

                There are multiple "thank you" and "like" hacks out there. Some of them are actually linked with facebook such that when one "likes" a post here, there's a corresponding "like" post on facebook. I think I remember that people generally felt that was a little too invasive, though it does increase NEIP's "exposure" a bit.


                If all we want is a flag saying "hey, Joe Blow likes this post," then we can get one that isn't actually connected to anything. They have varying levels of "interactivity," from just flagging a post visually to sending a notification to the poster that their post has been "liked."


                I confess this kind of dropped through the cracks in the whole re-building thing, but since I'm pretty much relegated to the indoors for the next 48 hours thanks to the especially crappy weather, I'll certainly do my best to get something installed this weekend that people want, if we can reach some manner of consensus on this.
                I frequent another board with the Thank button; it doesn't connect to anything outside the board.
                “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
                I aim with my eye.

                "I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
                I shoot with my mind.

                "I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
                I kill with my heart.”

                The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gingersnap View Post
                  I think people would be fine with one that just operated on NEIP.
                  Yup. Not at all interested in dragging FB into it.
                  “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
                  I aim with my eye.

                  "I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
                  I shoot with my mind.

                  "I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
                  I kill with my heart.”

                  The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by phillygirl View Post
                    I think there was universal "dislike" for anything that connected to facebook. I'd like to see some kind of button that lets me just say "good post"; "like", "thanks" or some such thing for a post. It would be good for there person to be notified when someone does this.

                    I don't want points, or money, or anything like that when it happens, just as Dave said, a quick way to say "good post" without interrupting the flow of the dialogue.
                    *The following user thanked phillygirl for this post: daveman*
                    “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
                    I aim with my eye.

                    "I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
                    I shoot with my mind.

                    "I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
                    I kill with my heart.”

                    The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                      Right. Let me see what all is out there and what looks best.
                      Cool. Thanks!
                      “I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
                      I aim with my eye.

                      "I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
                      I shoot with my mind.

                      "I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
                      I kill with my heart.”

                      The Gunslinger Creed, Stephen King, The Dark Tower

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                        I'm pretty sure we at least started talking about this before. Not sure if anything was ever resolved.

                        There are multiple "thank you" and "like" hacks out there. Some of them are actually linked with facebook such that when one "likes" a post here, there's a corresponding "like" post on facebook. I think I remember that people generally felt that was a little too invasive, though it does increase NEIP's "exposure" a bit.


                        If all we want is a flag saying "hey, Joe Blow likes this post," then we can get one that isn't actually connected to anything. They have varying levels of "interactivity," from just flagging a post visually to sending a notification to the poster that their post has been "liked."


                        I confess this kind of dropped through the cracks in the whole re-building thing, but since I'm pretty much relegated to the indoors for the next 48 hours thanks to the especially crappy weather, I'll certainly do my best to get something installed this weekend that people want, if we can reach some manner of consensus on this.
                        We don't want the connectivity part, just the "thanks" button. Not the "like" button. If you need me to find it, I can do it next week.
                        "Faith is nothing but a firm assent of the mind : which, if it be regulated, as is our duty, cannot be afforded to anything but upon good reason, and so cannot be opposite to it."

                        -John Locke

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Like ... Thanks ... LIKE ... THANKS ... LIKE! ... THANKS!



                          Hump ... Death ... HUMP ... DEATH ... HUMP! ... DEATH!








                          Well, we'll have both, then.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I don't like this. It has a dislike feature. You do realize if FB had followed through on that request out of people that everybody would have defriended each other?

                            Great. Now, I have to be good.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can the votes be invisible (show up in a PM type notice to the recipient)? This system reminds me of the old 'reputation' votes that some sites used to have. It seemed to me that a lot of people abused the snot out of that system to either artificially elevate their clique or shame people they didn't approve of.

                              Not that I'm saying that would happen here, but I think that maybe the votes would be more honest if they were only between the person that gave them, and the one that got them... that people won't be inhibited or influenced due to the public's being able to see the votes.

                              I'm thinking mainly of future members when I say this... most newcomers don't seem to hang around established forums because they feel like outsiders, and the voting systems I've seen seem to amplify that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X